What's Wrong with Shooting Jakes?

Uncle Nicky

• 3 weeks later...
I have known Spring Hunters who have passed up a JAKE on the Opener or very early in May only to have to eat their 2 Tags by May 31st.    Right now-(April 29th), I have hunted 5 Days in New Jersey and heard 1 Gobble. I have weekly permits that run to May 24th . That is NJs last Day for Spring Hunting.  If, I get a Jake in front of my Gun- down he goes.   We all want Longbeards- but if you have hunted say 12 Days and it is now May 21st  and you see a Short beard ambling nervously toward your Hen Decoy-- will you really take a Pass on him with 10 days left in the Season ??  I think most here would take that Jake as their 1st Bird.

I wouldn’t, I’m at the point in my hunting career that small small bucks and jakes get a pass on the first or last day of season. I don’t get the excitement out of jakes anymore. Now if I make a mistake and accidentally shoot a Jake I would turn about it but I’m not going to intentionally shoot one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I have known Spring Hunters who have passed up a JAKE on the Opener or very early in May only to have to eat their 2 Tags by May 31st.    Right now-(April 29th), I have hunted 5 Days in New Jersey and heard 1 Gobble. I have weekly permits that run to May 24th . That is NJs last Day for Spring Hunting.  If, I get a Jake in front of my Gun- down he goes.   We all want Longbeards- but if you have hunted say 12 Days and it is now May 21st  and you see a Short beard ambling nervously toward your Hen Decoy-- will you really take a Pass on him with 10 days left in the Season ??  I think most here would take that Jake as their 1st Bird.

I probably would shoot the jake, but I don't care about turkey hunting like I do deer hunting. Ill pass a jake in the begining of the season, but ill probably shoot it at the end if I havent already shot a gobbler. On the contrary any deer I pass on opening day or mid rut, is a deer that id pass if it was the last day of the season, even if I havent filled a tag (pretty much only a small buck). Im a deer hunter before a turkey hunter anyway though. 

35 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I probably would shoot the jake, but I don't care about turkey hunting like I do deer hunting. Ill pass a jake in the begining of the season, but ill probably shoot it at the end if I havent already shot a gobbler. On the contrary any deer I pass on opening day or mid rut, is a deer that id pass if it was the last day of the season, even if I havent filled a tag (pretty much only a small buck). Im a deer hunter before a turkey hunter anyway though. 

X - 2.........

• Like 1

I've only shot one bird in my not-much-of-a-turkey-hunter career. His name was Jake. If I have a chance at another similar named bird, I'm going to blow his gobblin head off.

And my grandson's name is Jake, so I've got that going for me.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it.:aggressive:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TurkeyHuntPA_NY said:

Absolutely nothing!!! Don't believe me, watch this rant from Michael Waddell! If they are legal they are old enough! 

when you shoot as many turkeys as he does every spring, you don't count. his point of not knocking someone who really wants to shoot one stands.  he no longer is the poster child for your every day joe blow hunter that's lucky to find a place to hunt to kill maybe a bird every other year. at one time he would've been but definitely not now.

My son decided he wanted to try to get a turkey with his crossbow. On May 9 last year we had a flock of jakes come into our decoys and he bagged the biggest jake with a perfect shot. You can see the hunt in the second part of the attached video from his website valoroutdoors.com. We were both happy with his accomplishment and the beautiful video. In short there is nothing wrong with shooting a jake.

• Like 2