Tailgating

philoshop

This aggravates me to no end. I slow down to piss them off even further. Now to a little story. My Brother in law has a heart condition. We were talking about tailgating when he told me this. He is driving one day and started to have chest pains. Hospital was close so he drove right to it. Told me he must of pissed off a good many people driving up their ass so he could get there quickly. He then says if anyone is in a rush driving up his ass he pulls over and lets them go by. Made me think about the whole situation but...........you know the majority slept late and are rushing to work putting you in harms way!! lol

Believe it or not it is much worse in the mid western states......  I can not believe what goes on over there.  On the highways everyone is driving 90 mph.  I do not see the point in going that fast.  I go 70 mph in right lane and people are right on my ass flashing there lights.....  WTF

40 minutes ago, First-light said:

This aggravates me to no end. I slow down to piss them off even further. Now to a little story. My Brother in law has a heart condition. We were talking about tailgating when he told me this. He is driving one day and started to have chest pains. Hospital was close so he drove right to it. Told me he must of pissed off a good many people driving up their ass so he could get there quickly. He then says if anyone is in a rush driving up his ass he pulls over and lets them go by. Made me think about the whole situation but...........you know the majority slept late and are rushing to work putting you in harms way!! lol

4 ways on would be the way to go if in an emergency.  Thats what i do

• Like 2

I ignore people behind me.  I'm not legally responsible for anything that happens behind me.  If they hit me in the rear, it's legally their fault.  Unless I brake check them, which I don't do, they hit me and they are in trouble.

I'm not going to let them distract me from what's going on in front of me.  They are completely insignificant to me.

What makes me mad are people who pass me, then slow down so I have to hit my brakes and deactivate my cruise control.  I set it about 5 MPH over the limit on the highway, so if they pass me I would expect them to keep going faster than I'm going.  Nope, they just want to be in front so they don't have to pay attention to where they're going.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The guys that piss me off are the career tailgaters!

You can be doing 40 in a 30, or 70 in a 55, or 120 in 45 for that matter, and they're still right on your ass!

They even got the balls to flash their alternating headlights, then turn on those obnoxious flashing red and blue roof lights, and some will even go so far as to use sirens to intimidate you, or yell at you over an intercom speaker to "PULL OVER" and then they just pull up behind you anyhow.

THEN they take you to work with them, and the whole way there they drive 5 under the limit and talk about you to their buddies over the radio like they just caught the biggest fish in the lake,lol:pogranichnik:

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

35 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

If you're worried about people behind you,  you're living in the past. I'm a little more concerned with what's happening in my near future

It's just a bit shocking to look in your rearview mirror and only see a windshield. No bumper or hood in sight. Just windshield. That's pretty close at sixty mph when I don't know what your skill level is. At least when racing the skills and attention levels are pretty well comparable. You fully expect to have people bumping you from behind. It means that you're ahead . ;-) On the open road you have no idea if the person behind you just spilled hot coffee in their lap, or are trying to apply lipstick and mascara, or if they're having a heart attack, or they're just not paying attention. That's disconcerting.

I am guilty of tailgating sometimes. Especially if you are doing 45 in a 55 or if you are on a two lane road and are in the outside left lane pacing the car next to you. Something about that drives me crazy.  It literally makes me anxious even if I don't have a place to be. The other thing I hate is leaving a stop light and the person in front of you is trying to get 100 MPG and it takes them 5 miles to get up to the speed limit. 

If you are going the speed limit then I am fine with that. 

It seems like people these days are either driving so fast you wonder how they don't get pulled over or so slow it drives me crazy being behind them. I generally drive within 5 MPH of the speed limit. 

• Like 1

I hate the guy that brakes all the way to a green light  then punches it through. Because of their ignorance  4 people get left at a red light that could have made it through. Or little miss barbie  who thinks it's ok to text half way through a green light

• Like 3

All you old f'ers just need to get outa my way I got places to be!!

lol just kidding!! I don't tailgate but man if you are doing 10-15 below the speed limit on a stupid winding unpassable road for 20-30 miles up north I get a bit pizzed lol.

My peeves.....

People who get in the left passing lane and stay there not passing.

Those killer bright headlights on some new cars.

People that pass you then slow down, if you made me take off my cruise you f'd up.

I am a very aware driver and am always watching what is coming behind me and the flow so I can get in and out without slowing anyone down, Then you move over for a faster car to pass and they pigeon hole you.

I don't drive below the speed limit much so when I get a tailgater bugging me I just see how slow I can possibly go lol.

Nothing burns my butt more than looking in the rear view, and seeing the windshield of some idiot tailgating me. 

Not trying to be sexist, but more often than not, the face in that windshield is that of a young woman.

Or some pimple faced kid with his orange 2002 Toyota Corolla, that sounds like a bumble bee, and has the big wing bolted to the rear deck lid.

The closer they get the slower I go.......... until they finally get around me.Then we just exchange hand gestures and and continue on our own separate ways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rattler said:

I ignore people behind me.  I'm not legally responsible for anything that happens behind me.  If they hit me in the rear, it's legally their fault.  Unless I brake check them, which I don't do, they hit me and they are in trouble.

I'm not going to let them distract me from what's going on in front of me.  They are completely insignificant to me.

What makes me mad are people who pass me, then slow down so I have to hit my brakes and deactivate my cruise control.  I set it about 5 MPH over the limit on the highway, so if they pass me I would expect them to keep going faster than I'm going.  Nope, they just want to be in front so they don't have to pay attention to where they're going.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but that seems to conflict. Aren't you doing what they do, which in turn makes you mad?

• Like 1

if it's single lane and they're tailgating me i just don't do anything sudden. they'll get around when the dashed lines come. if it's multi lane it seems to never happen as i try to say right for two lanes and middle for three lanes. i better not be in the left lane camping out. if they're tailgating me and i have nobody in front of me it's my fault despite if they hit me it's legally all on them.

5 hours ago, phade said:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but that seems to conflict. Aren't you doing what they do, which in turn makes you mad?

Nope, you're reading it wrong.  I'm cruising 5 MPH over the limit and have not passed anyone to be where I am.  They come up on me and start tailgating.  I'm also very aware of what's going on in front of me.  I don't give them any reason to tailgate and I don't pass people then slow down.

13 hours ago, Rattler said:

Riddle me this: 

Why is it people who drive 10 MPH under the speed limit, will punch the throttle and take it to 10 MPH over the limit when they see you are trying to pass them?

Because they stopped looking at their phone when you start passing and realized how slow they were going....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Interesting thread. Something happened today that made me think a lot of people who are tailgated OFTEN are most likely causing it themselves.

Today on my way in to the office, some jack wagon decided HIS speed is the speed everyone will go during morning rush hour. I followed "that guy" up 190 for miles, along with countless other cars piled up behind me as far as I could see. He's in the left lane going 5 MPH faster than the right lane, his speed never changed. Clearly he had his CC set at 59mph. F'ing up the morning for thousands of commuters. I was 2nd car back and could see him clearly, but stayed my distance I was in no hurry. The guy in front of me and most behind me were clearly not happy though,  I thought the guy in front of me was going to literally push this guy off the road. Even when openings were available in the right lane, he would not move over. Finally the line of traffic was able to go around him on the right. As we all filed by he was flipping people off like everyone else was the problem.  I was in no hurry so I was not really bothered by it all, and actually thought it was comical that HE was pissed off, but it made me think of this thread and WHY people tailgate sometimes. If you're that guy who goes basically the same speed as the car to the right of you, and see lots of flashing headlights lights in your rear view... well, then you might be a jackass. 

14 hours ago, Rattler said:

Riddle me this: 

Why is it people who drive 10 MPH under the speed limit, will punch the throttle and take it to 10 MPH over the limit when they see you are trying to pass them?

Yeah, that always cracks me up!  Suddenly they are in a hurry. 

• Like 1