Pat ourselves on the backs article

UpStateRedNeck

That is one of the best written hunting pieces I've read in quite some time. Thank you!

I'm currently mentoring two young hunters, and have made copies of this to share with them. Also, we are giving a NYS Hunter/Firearms safety course, at the end of this month. I will make sure copies of this, are available to anyone interested, at this, and future courses.

• Like 2

Great article, thanks for sharing!  As we advance in tech everyday and kids are exposed less to the outdoors, articles like this are needed to explain what is lost when we don't connect with nature.  

Always makes me laugh when people protest us for hunting and fishing when the reality is if hunting and fishing did not exist before us, we would probably not be here...  Even more so when they are hypocrites who will go out and eat steaks yet they condemn us eating venison.  

Posted the article to facebook. 

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Belo said:

To simply be quiet, and sit still, is to force oneself to coexist with the thoughts that enter one’s head when the silence descends.

-translated to "woods therapy" 

Therapy for most but if you have a wreslest mind it can be torment to some!  Kind of funny how that works yet the ones who need it the most will probably never experience it the way it was meant to be.  Those who do have an understand have that healthy respect for nature and all it has to offer!  And what a reset for yourself when your experience is epic, even if that does not include any game taken.  

I doubt that very many non-hunters would be content to get all of their meat from the store, if they knew what they were missing out on.  That excellent article provides a good hint.   I know that I feel a little guilty, every time I walk past the folks standing in a long line and holding a number at the local market's meat counter.  Why stand in line and pay hard-earned money for somewhat unhealthy meat from domestic animals and fish ?  That from wild ones is usually much better for you and can often be had almost free for the taking.   It sure makes me wonder sometimes.     

Great article I really liked it. My daughters who have really never hunted ask me what it's like out there. I started them too late, theater soccer it all got in the way. One kid that came to the cabin at 14 is now hunting elk out west. I mentored him for two years. He shot his first deer on his first day of a deer hunt with a bow. He had come back for a few years and harvested a buck. Then went off to college. He will be back for a hunt I'm sure. I just love knowing he is doing more for our sport being 22 years old and hunting elk in the midwest. Sure I gave up stand time to be with him but it was all worth it in the end. I can honestly say that when I retire to my hunt camp in a few years I would hope to find a young hunter wanting to be mentored in the sport. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:28 PM, NFA-ADK said:

Therapy for most but if you have a wreslest mind it can be torment to some!  Kind of funny how that works yet the ones who need it the most will probably never experience it the way it was meant to be.  Those who do have an understand have that healthy respect for nature and all it has to offer!  And what a reset for yourself when your experience is epic, even if that does not include any game taken.  

i am no therapist and am completely unqualified to even comment on the subject, but I do suspect that those with those kind of minds may need it the most. We all have tough times in our lives. It's when these thoughts are swirling nonstop in my head that I seem to benefit the most from the woods. It's sort of like letting the record play and get to the end without interruption or conclusion. There is no resolution of course, but my mind at least sort of exhales a little and the pressure feels reduced.

but we're all different

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 5:39 PM, First-light said:

Great article I really liked it. My daughters who have really never hunted ask me what it's like out there. I started them too late, theater soccer it all got in the way. One kid that came to the cabin at 14 is now hunting elk out west. I mentored him for two years. He shot his first deer on his first day of a deer hunt with a bow. He had come back for a few years and harvested a buck. Then went off to college. He will be back for a hunt I'm sure. I just love knowing he is doing more for our sport being 22 years old and hunting elk in the midwest. Sure I gave up stand time to be with him but it was all worth it in the end. I can honestly say that when I retire to my hunt camp in a few years I would hope to find a young hunter wanting to be mentored in the sport. 

Field to Fork.