Hunter Ed course and hunter #s

crappyice

For the last two years, I have been trying to find a Hunter Ed course for my boys in the 3S area. I know their and my schedules are tough to work with which contributes to our difficulty in getting this course done...maybe this year!

My question is this: how is it possible that the hunter numbers are on the decline if every class for the past years I have been searching for classes are full and not just in my “city” areas. Seems like there are always new hunters joining the ranks if you look at the course sign up pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

The new ones coming in don't come close to the numbers of ones quitting or dying.

Part of the reason it is tough to get young deer hunters started in NY, is that the rules force them to use the most difficult weapons first, ie bowhunting.    There is even a group dedicated to keeping it that way (NYB).  They must be very proud of themselves - more deer for them.   

I know someone who took an online course from another state ,printed his certificate and got his NYS license, as we honor certs from that state. 

Penn. class is online and NY honors all states Hunter Ed courses.

per dec website

DEC honors hunter education certificates and sporting licenses from all other states and countries.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

I know someone who took an online course from another state ,printed his certificate and got his NYS license, as we honor certs from that state. 
per dec website
DEC honors hunter education certificates and sporting licenses from all other states and countries.

Over 16 only

• Like 1

Part of the reason it is tough to get young deer hunters started in NY, is that the rules force them to use the most difficult weapons first, ie bowhunting.    There is even a group dedicated to keeping it that way (NYB).  They must be very proud of themselves - more deer for them.   

Im sorry; are you blaming a hunting organization for the decline of hunting?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

Over 16 only

Oh ok . I feel,your pain the hardest thing for my daughter was fitting the class into her schedule. Three week nights ,something like 6-10 plus half hour driving each way . Me dropping her off meant two hours of driving for me each night .

with sports and studying it was really hard to fit in . For something that she could have passed in her sleep, online .

• Like 1

I took my archery certification last year. I logged in at precisely the time it opened online to sign up. Within a minute is was #12 of 50.  Keep in mind the time listed it goes live to sign up might be central time zone. Don’t ask me why but it is.  

As far as ED your doctor can prescribe something for that. I use popsicle sticks and duct tape 

• Like 1

Back in the day......OMG I'm dating myself, I went to this elderly gentlemen's house and listened to his deer hunting stories. After an hour and a half he gave us our certificate. I swear to this day I have done everything by the book and never shot anyone! lol This was 40 years ago life was just so much simpler then. 

Edited by First-light
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, First-light said:

Back in the day......OMG I'm dating myself, I went to this elderly gentlemen's house and listened to his deer hunting stories. After an hour and a half he gave us our certificate. I swear to this day I have done everything by the book and never shot anyone! lol This was 40 years ago life was just so much simpler then. 

Sounds like the same guy I went to ... I drove my Mini Bike (Honda 50) on the back roads to his house (15 yrs old) and after he let me watch him shoot his pistol a few times I passed . I've shot plenty Deer and no humans (so far) !

• Like 2

Sign them boys up would make a great road trip for them.

I would love that except we are away (Saratoga for a crew regatta and Cooperstown for a National history competition (daughter) and one staying home for baseball...maybe Uncle Biz can watch him!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 12:52 PM, Stay at home Nomad said:

per dec website

Go to Mass DEC website. Purchase Non-Resident Squirrel hunting license for $20.00. Print out license. Go to Wal Mart and purchase NYS Hunting Licenses. 

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im trying to find a trapping course, theyre all way east and most have filled up. Im going to explore the online alternatives

Trappings tough, took me 2 years trying to get a course and a 2 hr drive to get in one.

I'm surprised you don't see many out your way as I actually signed up for another and planned on staying with family in Buffalo area to take it; but ended up somewhat closer to home.

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Trappings tough, took me 2 years trying to get a course and a 2 hr drive to get in one.

I'm surprised you don't see many out your way as I actually signed up for another and planned on staying with family in Buffalo area to take it; but ended up somewhat closer to home.

Hopefully one will pop up

Go to Mass DEC website. Purchase Non-Resident Squirrel hunting license for $20.00. Print out license. Go to Wal Mart and purchase NYS Hunting Licenses. 

See here’s the rub, I COULD go that route (if they were 15).
However, I want to introduce my kids to it correctly. They should spend the seat time with like-minded people, listening to “grampy-esque” people who devote their time, knowledge and experience about the sport. I hate how there are shortcuts or easy ways to success especially for kids today(yup I’m my father!).
And yet getting registered for an actual course within a relatively close proximity and fitting their schedule(admittedly that our fault) proves too challenging.
Supply and demand should force the hand and more courses (or seats or larger facilities) should be available.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, crappyice said:

However, I want to introduce my kids to it correctly. They should spend the seat time with like-minded people, listening to “grampy-esque” people who devote their time, knowledge and experience about the sport. I hate how there are shortcuts or easy ways to success especially for kids today(yup I’m my father!).
And yet getting registered for an actual course within a relatively close proximity and fitting their schedule(admittedly that our fault) proves too challenging.
Supply and demand should force the hand and more courses (or seats or larger facilities) should be available.

Many of the courses that I have seen in my area are in early Fall which to me makes little sense.  Kids are just getting back to school and I think it's the least convenient time for them to take a lengthy hunter training course. 

I still believe that the DEC should have paid instructors for these courses.  I appreciate the volunteers, but money talks and if you actually paid people to give them we then might not be having the trouble we currently have in finding courses.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, crappyice said:

One of my reasons for getting involved with Hunter Education, is not enough instructors to go around. Hence, not enough classes at times to fill the needs, of all that would like to attend. Our next class of 30, on April 27th filled very quickly. (they always do) We give usually four classes a year, that's only 120 new hunters. We are meeting tomorrow night, to see if we can add a couple more classes, "IF" we can get enough instructors. One of these will be in early bow season. It takes a lot of time and commitment to become a certified instructor these days. But coming full circle, and giving back to something that I have loved all my life, was an easy decision for me. But we need more!!!

The course now, is really just a review of the online homework that must be completed prior to attending the class for eight hours. I have been given the 'ethics' and 'firearm handling' parts of this class. There is much to go over in those eight hours, and no time for telling old boring stories. But.....we do share with the class our experience. All the instructors at our club have decades of it. We try very hard to not be boring!!  And try to relate to the young people, in a way to get our clear message through to them.

We split the time equally, between indoor instruction, and outdoor hands on activity. 

We have live fire, for both 22lr and shotgun 20g and 12g skeet, (set for easy straight away shots). Must be at least 12 years of age for this.

Tree stand safety, with actual tree stands and various harnesses.

The hands on, safe carrying, and handling of firearms instruction, using many different situations, while alone or with other hunters.

True to life blood tracking, and tips on how to recover deer.

Hands on with the various types of long guns, single shot, pump, and semi auto. And how they all work.

In my opinion this is much better than just reading a course from a book or computer, then give them a licence.  It is the interaction between the instructors and students, to make important points that will sink in, and be carried to the field with the future hunter. Not that we as dads, granddads, uncles, and mentors don't do a great job. We do!! We are the backbone of our future hunters! But when I took my grandson to his Safety Course, I noticed he listened much more intently, to what the instructors were saying. Seemingly more so, than what I was always saying on our field lessons. And he confirmed through the course, what he had learned from me. 

So my point is, I think we should keep the instruction part of the Safety Course. Done right, it can make a difference with new hunters. I can still remember my own safety course, so many years ago. Given by a well experienced outdoorsman. He said a couple things that day, that I still carry with me to the woods and fields.

If anyone gets a chance, give back, make a difference, and become a certified instructor. No pay, and many hours, but well worth it. 

• Like 4