2019 leeks and morels

turkeyfeathers

19 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Not yet. All, I have seen is the Skunk Cabbage poking up.

Bill , keep that skunk cabbage in mind in fall turkey season. This was skunk cabbage seeds from crop of bird few fall seasons ago. Loaded ! 

E4339962-79C8-47D9-9787-0229B18961FC.png

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

The guys in my camp in Delaware County all call them ramps.

Call 'em ramps out here  in SW  New York ( Dogpatch) along the Pennsyltucky border and people will look at you as if you are green and have three eyes....Hehehe....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Leeks & onions with taters and black bread, and a slab of ham with a few eggs. A farm breakfast! I miss that stuff.

I've been told there's an actual difference between leeks and ramps. That ramps are somehow fuller and more robust than leeks. Does anyone have any info on this? Just curious.

Where do wild scallions fit in? I guess that's what I get off my property. I thought they were leeks but somebody told me they weren't.They are spicy and tasty little buggers, though.

I could do exhaustive research on the internet and find nothing useful. I trust you folks to school me on this if you can.

I’m pretty sure they’re leeks around here but could be ramps.  Not positive but I do know whatever they are you don’t want to have a bird gobble when getting into the turkey woods 15 minutes later than you wanted  and plunk down in a huge patch of whatever they are after drinking all night    Then hungover. Rough morning!

I usually begin looking for morels in early-mid May depending on weather. We're looking for that magical soil temperature of 52°.
I like to stay at lower elevations on a southern exposure early on. As season progresses I'll move up in elevation.
If you can't identify a dead/dying elm or ash tree you have a month to figure it out! Also, if youre not crawling through the brush and brambles look elsewhere.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I usually begin looking for morels in early-mid May depending on weather. We're looking for that magical soil temperature of 52°.
I like to stay at lower elevations on a southern exposure early on. As season progresses I'll move up in elevation.
If you can't identify a dead/dying elm or ash tree you have a month to figure it out! Also, if youre not crawling through the brush and brambles look elsewhere.

Talk about a sign of spring! Welcome back from hibernation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Got these yesterday.. 

IMG_1554667570752.jpg

OMG- those are just little babies! I'll bet you shoot jakes and forkhorns too,lol

You would think a guy with a handle like Let em Grow would be a little more selective when he takes a leek!:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I will always post this pic. One is delicious and one is deadly.
That's one pf the reasons I prefer harvesting ramps when they're mature(just like my turkeys). The other reason is because the greens are so yummy!1f0384d9af728abbcc80e0f7e9b6594b.jpg

• Like 3