Deer meat this year.

First-light

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I can go along with "no benefit" for you, however aging venison does provide a benefit for many, myself included.  The bulk of our family's protein comes from venison, so I can not afford to put "tough meat" on the table. Google "aging venison" and you will quickly find many articles explaining the benefits.   You will learn about "dry aging" and "wet aging".    You do not happen to can your meat do you ?.  That is one easy way to skip the aging process and still end up with tender meat.  My mom used to do that while I was young, and a few friends still do.  If not, you must have some pretty strong jaws if you are eating mature bucks after hanging for just 3 days.

I can understand where a walk-in cooler might be a pain for maintenance and for tying up floor-space.  The old 1950's GE deer-fridge in our garage (on bottom of sideways photo) does the trick for me when it is too warm to hang in our insulated garage.  It also comes in handy for beer now and then.   I skinned that 3-1/2 year old buck in the photo (named "taco" by my youngest daughter), cut it in half and hung it in there for 2 weeks.  It was as tender as any 1-1/2 buck or doe that I have had.  Last year, the outside temperature was cool enough for just hanging them, with the hides on, inside the garage.  That is definitely my preferred way.  The hide keeps them from drying out and insulates, but it is a bit tougher to remove later.  I usually skin them one evening and process them the next to break up the work load a bit.      

emmadeer.jpg.332de79061515a3d37c2f6a1460090c7.jpg

p.s: I agree with you about the people who don't like venison.  My wife makes a real good bean recipe that uses ground meat.  At family functions, when she brings it, all I have to say is "nothing brings out the flavor of beans like ground deer meat", and my sister in law will not touch it.   That leaves more for the rest of us to enjoy.   

No canning here.   The cooler wasn't a PITA, it just had no effect on the quality of meat after aging.  It definitely came in handy when a early bow deer was taken. 

Our family was, like yours, ate venison probably 4-5 days a week.  Things have changed since mom and dad passed. We don't use close to the amount of venison as before.

My wife won't eat anything that doesn't have a supermarket label on it. So it's just me in this household.  Most of my and families venison goes to my nephew who passed away family.  His kids inhale the stuff. 

28 minutes ago, mowin said:

No canning here.   The cooler wasn't a PITA, it just had no effect on the quality of meat after aging.  It definitely came in handy when a early bow deer was taken. 

Our family was, like yours, ate venison probably 4-5 days a week.  Things have changed since mom and dad passed. We don't use close to the amount of venison as before.

My wife won't eat anything that doesn't have a supermarket label on it. So it's just me in this household.  Most of my and families venison goes to my nephew who passed away family.  His kids inhale the stuff. 

I am very thankful that my own wife and kids love venison.  A cool side-benefit of that, is that they are always encouraging me to spend more time deer hunting.   It's a dirty job at times,  but someone's got to do it.    When I was a kid, my folks fed us too much chicken.  I do not care much for that to this day as a result.  That also encourages me to spend more time hunting deer.   

If you ever happen to get a 6 month old deer, see if you can convince your wife to try a little of the backstrap, cooked medium rare.  That might be enough to get her to change her mind.   Another way to convince her might be to stress the health benefits.  "Organic" seems to be the rage in store-bought meats these days.  It don't get much more "organic" than free-range whitetail.   I remember an article in the Sports illustrated swimsuit issue many years ago, where cover-model Elli Mcpherson said venison was her favorite food.  She sure looked pretty healthy.      

• Like 1