Mint Remington Model 17 Pump Gun offered to me.

A friend of mine owns a MINT condition, all original, Remington Model 17 20 gauge pump shotgun.  It happens to have the checkered stock too.  It may be about 100 years old, but it looks like it's almost new, having had very little use.  I have told him I like that slim little shotgun.  He's 82 now and called to ask if I would like to buy it, as he's selling off much of his very fine firearm's collection.  He offered it for $500.  I wasn't expecting him to ask that much for it.  I would go $400 and feel I paid top dollar for it, but I really don't know what it is worth.  They are very fine, slim, lightweight, bottom ejection shotguns and were the shotguns the Ithaca Mod 37 evolved from.  However, they are not really desired among collectors, especially in the standard grades, like this one.

What do you guys think about the $500 asking price?

You don't see them up for sale very often, and when you do there usually well loved condition.   A mint condition 17 is a rare find, but as you know, there not a collectors must have. 

If you plan on keeping the shotgun, pay the $500.  I think it's worth a little more.  If you're buying to flip, than I understand wanting to get it for less. 

• Like 2

Oh, I would certainly keep it, but don't have a current Blue Book to look it up on.  Mine is from 2009.  It has a plain barrel.

Airedale, I think because it has the checkering and it is mint, it should be worth $400.  It doesn't have the rib.  Don't think he's going to like an offer of $400 though, unless I can show him the listing in the book.  A new book costs about $50.  Might just as well give him the $500 as dicker I guess.

I've purchased two other firearms from him over the years and always paid him top Blue Book for them as they were both mint.  But this time I think he's asking a little higher than book.

I sure do like that little 20 gauge pump though, and he knows it.  I think he's using that against me.  LOL!

Knowing what the gun is and how much it would cost to manufacture one today I think those prices are light. The main thing is what you think and how much you like and want the gun, that is the determining factor of what the gun is worth to you.

Al

• Like 2

I've liked if for at least 15 years and he always said he didn't want to sell it because he's had it since he was a young man and was good on the trap field with it.  I just started thinking, would anyone pay him $500 for it except me?  If not, why would he ask me for $500.  

BTW, I once had a beautiful oriental rug that I paid $500 for in 1983 that didn't fit any room in my new house.  I gave it to him for free in 2005.  He still has it and I often compliment him on how well it looks in his home.  He loves it too.

Maybe I'm just thinking he should be giving me the "preferred customer" discount.  LOL!

• Like 1

Book value aside there is only one question that should matter. What is it worth to you? 

I know you didn't mean it this way but in terms of the rug....I have always believed that if you give something away expecting something in return down the road, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. 

I do agree with Airedale, looking at the cost of something as simple as today's 870's, I would think the book price is a little light given how well those were made. 

• Like 3

I've had several girlfriends over the years that cost me way more than they were worth, but there are also very fond memories of most of them. The gun is obviously something special to the seller. Otherwise he wouldn't be asking "more than book price" for it. What is it going to be worth to you?

• Like 1

If its a good friend, and you'd be happy, hanging on to his gun for many more years. Id take it regardless if its 50 or 100$ higher than what the book says. To me its a decent deal. As long as money isnt tight at the time... Hate to see you regret not buying it over a few bucks... Especially knowing you'll take dam good care for it, where someone else might not..   If you pick it up post some pics, would love to see it. I love bottom ejecting guns 

• Like 2

Sounds like for years you have pictured yourself owning that shotgun. An extra hundred bucks to complete that picture, would be worth it. 

Some day when YOU are eighty two, you can give it away to a younger family member, or trusted friend. Who will take care of it and smile, each time it is taken out. Just like you did.

The true "value" of something, is in how many smiles it brings the owner. 

• Like 8

I plan to offer $400 and try to get him to agree, but when he originally asked for $500, I said I thought that was high and asked if he would consider taking less.  He felt the asking price was reasonable.  Like I mentioned prior, I've bought some great firearms from him in the past and have paid his top dollar asking prices.  He doesn't own any junk and gets offended by people who want to buy from him and low ball.  I know where the negotiation is going to wind up when I offer $400.  It will be a "take it or leave it" response.  Paying $100 over book for a $1000 firearm isn't an issue.  Paying $100 over book for a $400 firearm is.

He lives 4 hours away.  I've asked him to hold onto it for me while I think it over and get up the cash.  I'm going to have to drive to his place to buy it, so there's gas, tolls and mileage involved, as well as the FFL fee.  He's offered to put me up for the night when I come for it, and we always enjoy each other's company, so I guess that's something.

I guess it just seems like one of those life situations where you feel you can finally achieve a goal, but it will cost you much more than you originally anticipated.  And therein lies the rub.

Edited by Rattler

If you are on the fence about this purchase and seem to be leaning heavily to the "100.00 is over your comfort range side" stick with your gut and jump to that side now. To many people over extend themselves financially nowadays for a "want" and truely regret it for many years after the purchase.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I agree, if its really got you on the fence, and there is that much distance to travel to purchase and pick up this piece. Id either agree on a lower price, and make aware how much its going to cost you to just drive there... and back and still pay high dollar. You'll still be the same person with or without it, less hassle, less stress, stress is not needed over 100$ spent or not..    

• Like 2

I would agree that $100 over on a gun valued at around $400 is a bit on the high side.  I've known people like that who think whatever they own is worth it's weight in gold just because they own it and won't give an inch on their asking price.  Those type can be annoying for sure. 

All that matters really is how badly you want to own it and do you really need it?  One should also not give too much consideration that one day you will pass it on to your kids or grandkids, because in most cases they will not value what you valued in the same way and in many cases these type of possessions get pawned off as soon as they get their hands on it with no consideration to how much it meant to you. 

• Like 1

talk it out with him. to him it's worth all of $500 all day. to anyone else it's worth $350 according to the books and collectors you've talked to. to you it's worth all of $400 any day of the week though. you're spending money to drive out there to go see him, not by the gun. tell him that. as old as he is he can't get his panties in a bunch at least for to long if you level with him. he's been around too long to be like that. that's my take.  older guys that i know i'd tell them they're a tight old bastard and it'll end up in someone's wood shed if i'm not taking care of it.

• Like 3

I called my friend about the Model 17 and told him I appreciate his giving me first crack at it, but I would only be willing to pay $400 for it.  We spoke about it's actual value per the Blue Book and the extra expense for the FFL and travel on top of that.

I got the sense he felt I was attempting to acquire it at a bargain price and he could sell it for $500 to someone else.  I told him I understand his position and won't hold it against him.  I made him a firm standing offer to buy it for $400 cash, in person, if he decided to accept it.  I encouraged him to offer it for sale at $500 and said I truly hope he sells it for that much.  But, should he decide it won't sell to anyone for $500, he can call me and we can do business.

I just can't help wondering if my friend felt he could take advantage of me on this deal because he knows how much I like it, and that I could afford it.  I guess if he finds out he can't sell it for $500 he will learn it's real value.  However, he may be willing to wait a long time to come to that conclusion.  Then again, he may find someone who will pay that price.  Most of my friends and I offer firearms to each other at preferred prices out of friendship.  I feel bad if I don't.

I would love to have that little shotgun, but if I paid his asking price, it would take a little of the enjoyment out of owning it, every time I set eyes upon it.  Hopefully, it will end up in my hands someday.  If not, just wasn't meant to be.