Solar Panels

ApexerER

Got together with my hunting buddies on Saturday and found out that they will be installing Solar panels on our lease. They are at the very least going to be in the two front fields which are just overgrown hay but may extend into the back where they had beans planted this year. It will be interesting to see how this affects the deer traveling. Anyone have any experience with Solar Panels being installed in their hunting area?

13 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Got together with my hunting buddies on Saturday and found out that they will be installing Solar panels on our lease. They are at the very least going to be in the two front fields which are just overgrown hay but may extend into the back where they had beans planted this year. It will be interesting to see how this affects the deer traveling. Anyone have any experience with Solar Panels being installed in their hunting area?

to me I can't imagine there would be any impact different than any other structure. There won't be a lot of activity once the panels are up and operating. if may cause some issues from loss of food source and may develop new patterns. Gonna have to relearn the property but wold sure seem huntable still. 

Most solar projects are required to be fenced in (liability concerns and such) so the areas on your lease with the panels are most likely be difficult/impossible for the deer to access. Existing travel routes could be eliminated. On the other hand, the new fences could provide opportunities as new travel corridors/choke points are created. 

If your lease is based on acreage, you might be in line for a price reduction, because you're going to have fewer acres to hunt.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Most solar projects are required to be fenced in (liability concerns and such) so the areas on your lease with the panels are most likely be difficult/impossible for the deer to access. Existing travel routes could be eliminated. On the other hand, the new fences could provide opportunities as new travel corridors/choke points are created. 

If your lease is based on acreage, you might be in line for a price reduction, because you're going to have fewer acres to hunt.

Interesting, I've never seen a fence around any around here (Hudson Valley) including some big residential applications.

I watch the resident herd of does and fawns bed under my neighbors panels from my window. They are very comfortable there with lots of browse now growing where they cleared hillside when they installed.

18 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

"Solar Farms" seem to be the new thing. I drive by several of them on my way out to my buddies house and we have a few locally as well that I drive by every day. I have never seen a fence around any of them. I don't believe that these will be fenced in either. 

I wonder how it effects the wind on the downwind side of the field. Possibly add artificial thermals ? The installation will probably have the field down to dirt ,would be a good time to throw down some seed of some sort. 

Edited by Jeremy K

Not all NY localities have solar laws/ordinances (yet). NYSERDA has a "New York State Model Solar Energy Law" which municipalities can use in adopting their local laws. Section C-4 states: "All large scale energy systems shall be enclosed to prevent unauthorized access. Warning signs with the owners contact information shall be posted on the entrance and perimeter of the fencing."

I am not aware of any large installations within 50 miles of me that don't have at least 8 foot high fencing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bigger solar farms do have a fair amount of worker traffic. There's a proposal in our town to install one and has support; estimates show 30 employees based on the submission documents on an ongoing basis. It has to be fenced, too. 

I would expect changes in the immediate area but deer are adaptable and you'll adapt to them.