THE DEC HAS RELEASED THE 2018 DEER HARVEST REPORT

Larry

i look at them as estimates and not exact numbers to take to the grave it does paint the picture in each aggregate or WMU though.  it's interesting that the chance of seeing a 3.5 yr old buck is at least double in most WMUs when comparing to a handful of others.  also when comparing the harvest ratio you know some areas having to have a really good buck age structure then others.  if you save each years to look at you can notice what areas really produce a lot of deer and what areas simply held back less that year with letting the lead fly.  i'm really beginning to like how they are presenting the info now.

also it's crazy to be involved with such a large QDM co-op and others in the same WMU and know what the trend is before DEC publishes it. lol

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

How do they know how many bucks were 2.5+?

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Nevermind I just saw where they use the % of the 15,000 deer they checked

they survey what they can get their hands on at meat cutters, taxidermists shops, voluntary check stations, the rare public land temporary check stations, etc that make up that 15,000 if that's the number. as of a couple years ago they have a slip the size of a diner order slip that had all kinds of data to record, one being age. many DEC techs are somewhat trained on tooth wear and replacement of the lower jawbone. i can vouch that many are really good but some couldn't age a deer if their lives depended on it.  problem i see is since DEC has been plugging the whole voluntary "let young bucks go and watch them grow" they've been more excepting of pooling data from taxidermists and especially QDM co-ops, where as before they didn't want to because they claimed it'd skew the data sample collected. QDM co-ops have extremely low numbers of yearling and in some cases young buck harvests.

10 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Hey now DB , they aged my buck at 3 1/2 I’m going with that ! , even though I thought simply by size 2 1/2 . Who am I to,question them .....

like i said some are pretty good. we have some on the co-op every year that get taken. people assume 2.5 but when pulling jawbone they're older. we usually send in those teeth to the lab with others if we're stumped. usually even an older deer with a "scrub" rack will have good mass.

at the same time, i've known of some techs that stuck their finger in the mouth and by feel aged the deer, one said 15 yrs old for a doe. respectfully keep your comments to yourself, but starting at close to 8.5 the teeth will all be flattened smooth! lol  also aging hundreds of jawbones each year most have the lingual crests (pointed ends) chipped off.

This 90+" buck from this past season taken on the farm was assumed to be 2.5 or 3.5 based on smaller size in body and rack but when pulling jaw it seemed a bit older. We'll see if the lab results come back and match the tooth wear.

335a34233cd42e742d36215ef9c02690.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

According to 2018 kill stats. 8R has 16 deer per square mile. That's nuts. 3N is 3.1, so I would see 5 times as many deer in 8R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top 6 best for bucks on that list   are  8r 8f 8g 8h 8x 9y  got to take a drive up and check those places out this summer.  To bad they are all 300 miles away from me .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

They are lying. You can't believe the DEC. I would suggest that everyone ignore the data...lol

So you are saying they  purposely but the places that are in the middle of nowhere at top of the list just to make us drive more lol 

Edited by Storm914

26 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Yeah...those region 8 ones don't have nearly the quantity or quality they talk about...lol

Yep no need to hunt the 8’s, especially 8H. Look elsewhere.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:08 AM, dbHunterNY said:

they survey what they can get their hands on at meat cutters, taxidermists shops, voluntary check stations, the rare public land temporary check stations, etc that make up that 15,000 if that's the number. as of a couple years ago they have a slip the size of a diner order slip that had all kinds of data to record, one being age. many DEC techs are somewhat trained on tooth wear and replacement of the lower jawbone. i can vouch that many are really good but some couldn't age a deer if their lives depended on it.  problem i see is since DEC has been plugging the whole voluntary "let young bucks go and watch them grow" they've been more excepting of pooling data from taxidermists and especially QDM co-ops, where as before they didn't want to because they claimed it'd skew the data sample collected. QDM co-ops have extremely low numbers of yearling and in some cases young buck harvests.

i think it's fairly easy to determine the difference between 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5+ and really that's all we should be looking at. Mature or immature. 

It also would be interesting to know how that 15k translates. Statistics and polls always fascinate me because of their variables. For example, is a guy who cuts up his own deer more likely to shoot younger bucks or vise versa? I do totally understand that they use what they have, but it's something that makes me think.