THE DEC HAS RELEASED THE 2018 DEER HARVEST REPORT

Larry

16 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Yes ,that’s my point . Want more men hunters ,just add more women . Win win .

Just look at how the guys here reply  like crazy to a new woman’s posts here .

Ha ha!   I feel sorry for these guys.  They need to stop being consumed by hunting and get a life.  Chances of meeting a woman thru hunting are mighty slim compared to other activities and ways one can meet.

I love my wife but I thank heaven that she has no interest in hunting.  I prefer it that way.

Edited by steve863

9 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

This privileged white Christian male is also inclined to say dont just pay attention to the ladies. DEC also included a page in the summary for the youth big game hunt. Those numbers should be a lot higher. Need to get more kids involved, even if there's assumed to be some that didnt report.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

good point. Would love to have seen a kid on the cover of the report, although in full disclosure I'm sure they have been in the past. 

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Ha ha!   I feel sorry for these guys.  They need to stop being consumed by hunting and get a life.  Chances of meeting a woman thru hunting are mighty slim compared to other activities and ways one can meet.

I love my wife but I thank heaven that she has no interest in hunting.  I prefer it that way.

you know I agree, but many of my "adult" friendships have formed around this passion of mine, so I can see how in the right situation it might work out for somebody. Although I bet a good percentage of woman at the their hunters ed courses are getting a tag for their husband :(

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

good point. Would love to have seen a kid on the cover of the report, although in full disclosure I'm sure they have been in the past. 

yea i remember multiple years that had kids on the cover. it's tough getting a really nice photo that someone can't cherry pick flaws from like lack of hunter orange, gun seemingly pointed in wrong direction, person not really smiling, etc. maybe the reason for art work some years idk.

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

you know I agree, but many of my "adult" friendships have formed around this passion of mine, so I can see how in the right situation it might work out for somebody. Although I bet a good percentage of woman at the their hunters ed courses are getting a tag for their husband :(

I didn't say it wouldn't be at all possible meeting a woman thru hunting, only that the chances are mighty slim compared to other channels.  People CAN meet in the strangest ways, but I just chuckle how many of the guys here get excited when they see a woman posting.  Man, these dudes look pretty desperate!  I figured there were at least a few woman up in the boonies.  LOL

• Like 1

I was half stirring the pot with my just ad ladies post .

However , my daughter met her first BF at her Hunter Ed class . Then a few years ago guy who,hunts farm nextdoor stopped by as we were walking out, he and her started a conversation,which lead to some FB “ talk” and set up a date. Unfortunately for him she met another guy she liked a lot just prior, and canceled said date .

16 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Well think about all the money women  like to spend on crazy women stuff just imagine if the hunting industry could tap into that money .

Women love to shop much more then men  marketing studies show from a business stand point you would be naive to not try and  get them into guns and hunting it's just good business. They are 50% of the population  after all. 

Plus what better way to protect are gun rights :)

Their numbers are way off again we took 11% of total take in the town off just my property??? 18 deer of 157...  I believe the town is 7 miles x 14 miles.. or 62720 acres I have 300 acres.. or .5% of total land mass.. crazy numbers dont add up...

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 12:02 PM, Belo said:

i'm surprised that bow take increased with how poor the weather was. I know gun season was ideal and i think that helped those numbers go up, especially after last years opening day weekend was hurricane and this was a crisp fresh snow.

what's up crossbow dudes? -8%?

Had my tags filled with bow before crossbow started.. so I didnt have chance to get one with it..

On 4/12/2019 at 9:04 PM, G-Man said:

Their numbers are way off again we took 11% of total take in the town off just my property??? 18 deer of 157...  I believe the town is 7 miles x 14 miles.. or 62720 acres I have 300 acres.. or .5% of total land mass.. crazy numbers dont add up...

i forget but they seem to be way off each year. have you ever tried to contact DEC about it? it starts to get difficult when comparing townships versus the whole WMU or aggregates. numbers can be really skewed but statistically they work themselves out the more you zoom out. no doubt you guys have things under control but discrepancies like this tend to make people wonder.  i know for a fact the DEC big game unit has looked at this very thread post. whether it's looked at again idk. i'd try to get through to the DEC biologist and tech that handles your area. talk to them about it if they're willing. it might help with their data collection efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still a bit puzzled at how the deer take stays so high when the numbers of gun shots heard are so low compared to past years. It must be that hunters today are becoming very good shots. Seriously, observations of traditional parking lots and other places that used spill out on the highways with parked cars of hunters look nearly empty by comparison to years ago. And the shooting seems to die off after the opening morning. At least that's been my observations. And yet the deer take seems to be better or at least the same as past years of much greater participation. The remaining hunters must really be good.

• Like 1

Could be rifles and tree stand hunting makes for more one shot kills. More shots doesn’t equal more dead deer .

Back in the day, we sat for two hours then ,everyone started walking or driving , deer were pushed all over ,and everyone was taking running shots, some emptying their shotguns  . I can remember many times a few deer got shot at in a woods ,run across a field to, our woods, one guy  there would unload, maybe tag one,  then another would unload , they just kept running and getting shot at every couple hundred yards .

I used to have 15 slugs on me and more in the car !

Today I have 4 , 7mm08 in the gun and two in my pack ,only once since Ontario County went Rifle have I fired more then one .

Walking around and drives have been banned on the farm as well , everyone just sits waiting for that one close shot .

• Like 2

i agree with Larry. the way people are hunting has changed. parcels get chopped up and people aren't going to drive deer out of their little honey hole they want to continue to see deer in. definitely fewer shots with more shotgun counties going to rifles in recent years. that very respectable 200 yard poke with the shotgun is now basically a shot you've zero'd your rifle at. times have definitely changed.

I also think that the widespread use of scopes has made today's hunter much more deadly than back in the days when I was a kid. My first deer gun was an old bent-barreled 20 ga. with just a ball bead at the front. Great squirrel gun, but getting a deer with it wasn't really too likely.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:04 PM, G-Man said:

Their you go. At best, it's just a guess.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:51 AM, Stay at home Nomad said:

Today I have 4 , 7mm08 in the gun and two in my pack ,only once since Ontario County went Rifle have I fired more then one .

The other rounds are for the other deer in the group, silly. the first is easy to get, the second is a bit harder and the third out of the group is the big challenge...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I also think that the widespread use of scopes has made today's hunter much more deadly than back in the days when I was a kid. My first deer gun was an old bent-barreled 20 ga. with just a ball bead at the front. Great squirrel gun, but getting a deer with it wasn't really too likely.

I had a  16 gauge that i swear I could throw them more accurately with my hand. 

47 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The other rounds are for the other deer in the group, silly. the first is easy to get, the second is a bit harder and the third out of the group is the big challenge...lol

That’s to, much work , one at a time for me , my atv is a pair of Muck boots and a rope ! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I dislike the totals for 3P...... 3P is basically Sterling forest.  It has a lot of Deer.... Mature woods mostly though.... Tons of doe.... Hardly any Doe tags allotted.. :(

What's funny is... Both 3M and 3R are next to 3P.... which have High, High chances at tags. You don't think Deer move between those WMU's????