No till plots

I found this article really helpful in getting plots going.  Thought I would share.  Don't recall who sent it to me or if it was posted here.  But its worth noting now since an initial spraying of overgrown areas is recommended in the next month or so.

https://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/blog/easy-no-till-food-plot-methods

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

The person in the video says to spray with Glyphosate ( aka Roundup ) which is not safe for humans according to research .

https://gmo.geneticliteracyproject.org/FAQ/is-glyphosate-roundup-dangerous/

Did you read the article you posted?  At least that article concludes otherwise despite the recent successful lawsuits.

Edited by moog5050

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Did you read the article you posted?

Yes - There is a lot of controversy about RoundUp and Monsanto tries to cover it up as well as some research companies that get paid to look the other way . It may not be dangerous in food but it is dangerous to breathe . Best be upwind when spraying .

Just now, fasteddie said:

Yes - There is a lot of controversy about RoundUp and Monsanto tries to cover it up as well as some research companies that get paid to look the other way .

The point I was making is that the article you posted suggests just opposite:

"There have been numerous reviews and hundreds of studies of the herbicide glyphosate since its introduction that conclude it is safe when used as intended. Most scientists believe IARC has distorted the regulatory and public debate, unnecessarily scaring the public."

• Like 1

Since no one seems to agree on whether or not gly is harmful to humans, it makes sense to minimize its usage.   The way I do that, is to only apply it where it is really needed.  For me, that is directly on rows of corn.   Using a tiny bit of gly there, saves me a lot of money on fertilizer.   Every where else (including in between the corn rows), I control the weeds with tillage, or with mowing in perennial clover plots.  I find the tillage (especially spring plowing), one of the most enjoyable and stress-free tasks of food plotting.   

One thing that I really don't like about spraying, is the delay needed before results are seen.  There is always a little stress there, wondering if the spray will take effect,  plus some more wondering if folks might be harmed eating animals that eat the sprayed "weeds", or that I might be harmed from handling the spray.    Cultivating a corn field, turning over sod with a plow, or preparing a seedbed with a spring-tooth harrow, makes it look good and weed-free while the job is being done.  There is no delay, nor is there any worry over harmful chemical side-effects.   Controlling the weeds in a clover plot by mowing also produces that same "instant satisfaction".  Possible harmful side-effects are much more likely from the selective herbicides, often used for weed-control there, than they would be from gly.     

Edited by wolc123

Been doing no till food plots for several years now, with tons of different seeds, all besides corn. Have yet to try it. ITs so easy and simple, and less time consuming. Work around Rain, Utilize cover crops and plant now, for your next planting too.... Easy once you get the hang of it.. 

Though i do really miss the smell of fresh tilled dirt!! Like dearly!! Lol

• Like 1