Concealed Carry in Onondaga County

When I hear of things like this it really fry's me so I started doing some looking. It seems that your major stumbling block could be the "Sheriffs" department since they process the applications.

I looked up the penal law they refer to and it says: (f) have and carry concealed, without regard  to  employment  or
  pl
ace  of  possession,  by  any  person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof;

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article400.htm#p400.00

The two key words in this sentence are "proper cause" which no one has defined except to say it doesn't pertain to "self protection".

From The Onondaga Sheriffs Application:

"Carry Concealed:>> Without regard to employment or place of possession by any person when "proper cause" exists for the issuance thereof or to carry with limited restrictions"

https://sheriff.ongov.net/pistol-license-unit/

If it was me I think I would complete the “Proper Cause” for a “Carry Concealed” Pistol License Form

and try to get a appointment with one of the judges and try to plead your case one on one and hope he or she will be sympathetic.

County Court Judges

Matthew J. Doran
315-671-1054

Hon. Stephen J. Dougherty
315-671-1050

Hon. Thomas J. Miller
315-671-1056

Sounds like a sad case of gun control to me:rtfm:

https://nygunforum.com/threads/no-restriction-upgrade-onondaga-county-approved.16422/

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 8:03 PM, loworange88 said:

Ive heard from some co-workers and the like, that the new judges are much more in favor of granting CCW.  I am in the process of writing a letter for upgrade to my permit.

i could get mine updated to carry at work, my boss said he would right a letter to the judge for that since I can carry at work if I wanted to but I would rather try to get a full carry permit first.  Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with the new judges.  Thanks for the reply

Its amazing how every county is different.  Oneida county they tell you at application office not to even bother cause you won't get unrestricted unless your a police officer. 

Some counties if you take an extra class they will change permit after. Some will give you unrestricted without issue.  Def doesn't seem right.  

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Its amazing how every county is different.  Oneida county they tell you at application office not to even bother cause you won't get unrestricted unless your a police officer. 

Some counties if you take an extra class they will change permit after. Some will give you unrestricted without issue.  Def doesn't seem right.  

Especially when it is called a "New York State" permit. A non restricted permit holder can carry in Oneida county and a resident of Oneida can't. I call that BS:banghead:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

Especially when it is called a "New York State" permit. A non restricted permit holder can carry in Oneida county and a resident of Oneida can't. I call that BS:banghead:

my permit says "hunting, fishing, hiking, target" .    Have a buddy that is a pistol instructor.  He says one county gives out restricted and then they take an additional class with live fire and can get the unrestricted, another 2 counties will give unrestricted pretty much at for every request and two counties wont issue a non restricted at all and all these counties border each other.  

Pretty dumb the way it is administered. Pa is somewhat the same way as far as non resident. Some counties won't issue, some will only issue to certain NY counties, and others will issue to any NY resident. We applied in Mckean County and the whole process took 15 minutes. They took the application, looked at our NY permits, ran a background check, took our pictures, collected the $20.00, and we walked out with the Pa permit in our hand.

My buddy just got denied full carry in Albany county, has had permit for 15 years  ,took every course available and has Utah permit. Judge said he didn't need fill carry. Hunting,target,camping and hiking was enough .

Makes no sense to me that it is administrated differently from county to county when it is a state permit. Seems to me you would be more likely to need it in other places than hunting, target, camping, or hiking.

Somebody was asleep at the switch when those laws were passed.

Overview
WYSIWYG

A firearms license is a state license however it is issued under the authority of county licensing officers. An applicant must decide what type of license will be sought.

The most common types of firearm licenses are:

Just carry regardless of any “ restrictions .”  It’s administrative only , your not violating any law . The worst that could happen is if the judge somehow found out ,he revokes your permit . 

So now you can’t carry a gun you could not carry anyway.....

• Like 2

Wow that really sucks . Would like to  know how he’d learn of a speeding ticket , I can’t believe dmv records are crossed linked to county permit office , who,would then notify the judge ?

Anyways congrats on getting “ full” carry .

Ive heard that of the three new judges that two are very likely to grant an upgrade, while the third judge is on the fence, but tends to grant upgrades as well(peer pressure).

I just dropped of my letter to ask for an upgrade to CCW.  We shall see if I get it.  Fingers crossed.

On 4/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

What is weird is that law enforcement doesn't even need a permit to carry.  Even after retiring.  All they need is to have their retirement badge with them.  They can even carry in any state, not just NY.  This is a federal law passed in 2004 called the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA).  Was passed as a result of the 2001 attacks on the world trade center.  So basically with some of these judges logic unless you are a cop, who doesn't even need a permit, no one will ever get a concealed carry

On 4/27/2019 at 4:49 PM, loworange88 said:

Ive heard that of the three new judges that two are very likely to grant an upgrade, while the third judge is on the fence, but tends to grant upgrades as well(peer pressure).

I just dropped of my letter to ask for an upgrade to CCW.  We shall see if I get it.  Fingers crossed.

keep me updated please.  meeting with my boss today at 9:30 to discuss what options I should take.  he is retired law enforcement so hoping he will have some inside knowledge on best ways to proceed

On 4/25/2019 at 8:06 PM, Stay at home Nomad said:

Just carry regardless of any “ restrictions .”  It’s administrative only , your not violating any law . The worst that could happen is if the judge somehow found out ,he revokes your permit . 

So now you can’t carry a gun you could not carry anyway.....

I work with active and retired law enforcement.  So I have been picking their brain a bunch on which avenues to pursue this.  One of the cops told me since my permit is classified as sportsmen I can not carry unless using it for "sportsmen" activities.  Said I need it locked up when going to the range, hunting, etc.  Said "IF" stopped not doing "sportsmen" things and caught carrying it could result in lose of permit if officer stopping you wants to be a dick, but most will let you go with a warning.  With as hard as they are to get I would rather try for the upgrade before doing something to jepordize getting my permit pulled

1 hour ago, boo711 said:

I work with active and retired law enforcement.  So I have been picking their brain a bunch on which avenues to pursue this.  One of the cops told me since my permit is classified as sportsmen I can not carry unless using it for "sportsmen" activities.  Said I need it locked up when going to the range, hunting, etc.  Said "IF" stopped not doing "sportsmen" things and caught carrying it could result in lose of permit if officer stopping you wants to be a dick, but most will let you go with a warning.  With as hard as they are to get I would rather try for the upgrade before doing something to jepordize getting my permit pulled

I can see that, if there’s a way to move onto “ full” carry . But that really sucks, my county no classes, no judge interviews, unrestricted carry . My one daughter got hers here ( In three months no less ) just before moving to a more commie county , that plays that game of restricted permits .

37 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

For anyone having issues I believe there may be a loop hole some can take advantage of. You can apply for the permit in your county of residence but I think you can also apply in your county of employment. (That is true for Monroe county anyway).

This is absolutely true. I live in Albany County, the judges here will never give you unrestricted unless you are connected to a Democrat politician. I know, I have tried. 

I processed a transaction at work with the judge that handles all permits in Schenectady County, really reasonable and good man. After I aired my grievances  he shook his head in disgust and told me since i have worked full time in his county for over 1 year, i could transfer my permit to his county. I would have restrictions at first, but after 6 months i could take an advanced conceal carry course and as long as i was squeaky clean and not a scumbag he would remove them. The instructor i recently took my course with said he had a 100% success rate with Schenectady County.

Edited by CapDistPatriot

1 hour ago, CapDistPatriot said:

This is absolutely true. I live in Albany County, the judges here will never give you unrestricted unless you are connected to a Democrat politician. I know, I have tried. 

I processed a transaction at work with the judge that handles all permits in Schenectady County, really reasonable and good man. After I aired my grievances  he shook his head in disgust and told me since i have worked full time in his county for over 1 year, i could transfer my permit to his county. I would have restrictions at first, but after 6 months i could take an advanced conceal carry course and as long as i was squeaky clean and not a scumbag he would remove them. The instructor i recently took my course with said he had a 100% success rate with Schenectady County.

I got mine, no restriction in Albany county . I met with my judge,wore my best suit and chatted with her for an hour. Took me three tries but its worth. I'm Republican all the way 

I think the amount of time one has had there permit comes into factor. 

Edited by sbuff

14 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I got mine, no restriction in Albany county . I met with my judge,wore my best suit and chatted with her for an hour. Took me three tries but its worth. I'm Republican all the way 

I think the amount of time one has had there permit come into factor. 

It is a bunch of $hit that you should even have to go through that. either your background is clear or not. Their impressions or views should play zero  into the equation. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, Stay at home Nomad said:

Wow that really sucks . Would like to  know how he’d learn of a speeding ticket , I can’t believe dmv records are crossed linked to county permit office , who,would then notify the judge ?

Anyways congrats on getting “ full” carry .

A friend of mine had all his pistols taken when he got a DUI.. Sheriffs department came one evening and confiscated them.. when all was said and done they were returned. Months later..

Edited by ncountry