Recommendations on rototiller’s guys..

rob-c

That's not to big, if there is grass there now I'd rent one this year and then possibly buy a smaller one next year if its something  you think you'll be interested in . Tilling new ground will beat one up pretty good .

Edited by sbuff

You good with engines? Look for an old Troy Built. I think they are also models horse and pony. They were once upon a time built SOLID. I do not know about current troy built. I saw them in Lowes for a while semi recently. I have one from 1979 I think it is and its a tank.  I see them now and again on craigs list.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

You good with engines? Look for an old Troy Built. I think they are also models horse and pony. They were once upon a time built SOLID. I do not know about current troy built. I saw them in Lowes for a while semi recently. I have one from 1979 I think it is and its a tank.  I see them now and again on craigs list.

I agree completely. I've used older Troy Built stuff, including a rototiller, from the 1970's and it's just unbelievable equipment. My neighbor had a tiller that I had a hard time keeping up with. Among the things that killed Troy Built USA was the fact that their stuff just lasted forever. If the past customer never has to replace it you need new customers all the time, and people today don't give a crap about anything beyond today's needs. That's why you see $79 Poulan chainsaws in Big Lots. Buy once, cry once for anything you plan on using seriously. Rant over.

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I got it wrong ... you are right  troy built is the brand.

Thanks guys, good idea to rent one. I definitely do not  need another project, so a older one needing work is out of the question. But looks like rear time is the way to go.

anyone with a newer brand they like? 

Dont know about newer but rear tine  is a must.  Shaft drive over chain or belt. Remove sod and dig slow making many passes gradually  getting deeper. Dont lean over the machine  while tilling . Them things will jump if you hit a big rock. About nocked myself out one day.

• Like 1

I made my wife a vegetable garden in 2009. The size is approximately 25' by 25'.  Every spring I was out there turning over the ground with a pitchfork. Then a couple of years ago I thought why am I busting my ass for this ? So I went online and looked up tillers. Like many have suggested , it seems that the rear tined ones are preferred , especially on virgin ground. I ended up running to Lowes and bought a Troy-Bilt front tined tiller. It serves my needs considering I have an established garden and only use it for about 20 minutes each year.

IMG_2690.thumb.JPG.2a66ab0d16862151a71fd70f965692ca.JPG

• Like 1