Most Accurate 7mm-08 Factory Ammo

moog5050

On 4/19/2019 at 9:41 AM, dbHunterNY said:

if you get the Hornady Superformance ammo to shoot well out of your rifle that'd be gold. I tried it in my varmint rifle and it was horrific the groups i got with it.  Haven't tried it in larger caliber rifles.

I get Moa with it in my 7mm08 .. 1/2moa or less with my 222 and like 2moa or worse with my 22.250 Lol. 

MY buddy swears by it out of his 243 Tikka

• 2 years later...
On 4/12/2019 at 11:04 PM, rob-c said:

I know you asked about factory ammo, but I am going to throw this out there. Loading your own has many many benefits,  that I am sure everyone knows about.

BUT and it’s a big but, if anyone has thought about loading their own,  one best get the supply’s and a bunch of it soon . With the Democrats having this much control, ammo restriction is on its way. 

Stepping my soap box .... 

This is an old thread, but I just had to comment on how prophetic this post is/was!

My Kimber in 7-08 loves Barnes 120 TTSX ammo. I've killed a lot of game with them. I wasn't able to find any all year for this hunting season. Having recently gotten back into reloading, I've been able to acquire the pills but still couldn't roll any for lack of primers. Ggrrr! Thankfully, I got a great deal on 3 boxes of Hornady American Whitetails pushing 139 Interlocks and they shoot every bit as well as the TTSXs. I'm just back from Wyoming, where they dropped this whitey buck at 230 yds where he stood. The lungs were both jelly and the heart was split in half.

123_1(2).jpeg

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

I got a great deal on 3 boxes of Hornady American Whitetails pushing 139 Interlocks and they shoot every bit as well as the TTSXs. I'm just back from Wyoming, where they dropped this whitey buck at 230 yds where he stood. The lungs were both jelly and the heart was split in half.

I am a big fan of the Hornady interlock bullets for big game, I use them in several different calibers and their performance has always been perfect, those bullets hold together, penetrate and kill.

Best part is they do not carry a premium price tag.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

My Model 70 in 7mm-08 loves the Barnes TTSX 120 grain, but my Browning 7mm-08 prefers the federal 140 grain BT. I have a menagerie of other factory 7mm-08 (Core Lokts, Federal Fusion, Hornady SSTs, Nosler BTs, etc.) rounds but just never tested them given the results of the above combinations. 

1 hour ago, eaglemountainman said:

This is an old thread, but I just had to comment on how prophetic this post is/was!

My Kimber in 7-08 loves Barnes 120 TTSX ammo. I've killed a lot of game with them. I wasn't able to find any all year for this hunting season. Having recently gotten back into reloading, I've been able to acquire the pills but still couldn't roll any for lack of primers. Ggrrr! Thankfully, I got a great deal on 3 boxes of Hornady American Whitetails pushing 139 Interlocks and they shoot every bit as well as the TTSXs. I'm just back from Wyoming, where they dropped this whitey buck at 230 yds where he stood. The lungs were both jelly and the heart was split in half.

123_1(2).jpeg

That is the load i use in my wife’s TC Venture compact. Although i did have a round not fire on a coyote deer hunting last fall. Deep dent in primer too. Two or three different boxes and lots were effected. Very strange as Hornady has always been top notch. I probably should have contacted them but i just used them up at the range. Congratulations on a fantastic buck. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

That is the load i use in my wife’s TC Venture compact. Although i did have a round not fire on a coyote deer hunting last fall. Deep dent in primer too. Two or three different boxes and lots were effected. Very strange as Hornady has always been top notch. I probably should have contacted them but i just used them up at the range. Congratulations on a fantastic buck. 

Thanks. The muley bucks turned into smoke, and were nonexistent. And a monster whitetail buck outlasted me till the end of legal light for 3 days, and never got closer that 500 yds. With a shitty snowstorm heading in that night, and lasting 2 days, it was either this buck, right at dark, or tag soup. I'm happy that I made the right choice, for once.

Edited by eaglemountainman

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You realize right wing Canadians dream of having a prime minister as moderate as Biden right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I did not know that.  I wasn’t sure if they would sell primers to an American, so my plan is to put on a Blue Jays hat, say “A”, every other word, and use some Canadian cash that I have saved up in a box somewhere from when we used to vacation up there when I was a kid, to pay for the primers at the counter. 

it wouldn’t be the first time that I pretended to be a Canadian.  Long ago, on a moose/bear hunting trip to Quebec, a couple Americans aborigins (people I don’t know) stumbled across the spot I was watching across from the lake camp that 3 of my friends and I were staying at.

They must have been staying at a different camp.  My buddies were all hung over that morning so I had motored over there alone with my 9.5 Evinrude on one of the old wood camp boats.  I was always the “serious hunter” of the group, and the only one who got a kill on that trip (that is another story).

When the aborigins asked “if I had seen anything ?”, my reply (in my best broken French accent) was: “no English”.  They quietly departed after that.  The spot I was watching was where a bush plane had crashed the year before.  There was still a bit of wreckage around. 

I don’t know if I will be able to score some primers when I go over there but at least our kids will be able to look at the fish in the tanks.

Edited by wolc123