Most Accurate 7mm-08 Factory Ammo

moog5050

Curious if there is a consensus on the most accurate factory ammo.  Before I start buying different brands for testing, thought it would be good to start with one that worked well for several others.  Let me know your experience.  Thx.  Thinking that 140g weight would be good middle ground.  

Federal Premium Nosler BT in 140 gr.  Very accurate and consistent. And absolutely lights out, dead right there perfomance on deer! 

I've shot at least half a dozen different brands of store bought 7mm-08 ammo. This shot the best for me.

Easy on the recoil too. Natalie should have no trouble at all shooting these.

They are not cheap, but worth every penny. IMO.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 4

The only factory loads I ever shot in my 7MM08  were Rem green 140  grain, and I only shot them for barrel break in and to get a couple of boxes of brass...However, I have shot a number of deer  with Nosler 140 BT bullets in my handloads...Accuracy was great and  great performance on game also..Just on a whim, I tried some Barnes TSX 120 grainers...Accuracy and performance on game was  the same, and they kick a little less, so that is what I am using now..

• Like 2

When I get caught up a bit, I have a bunch of 7mm-08 brass. I could make up some handloads for hunting, if you like?

Nothing hot or maxed out of course. Could even go low end for reduced recoil.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3

I bought a 7mm08 for Kathy , which I used to kill some deer and coyotes,then I won mine at Culver’s Qdma banquet,which killed two deer last year .

Every critter dropped in its tracks ,straight down .

I just buy whatever ,i shoot 139/140 she uses 120s. mixed brands .

I don’t bother testing rounds , can I hit the vitals ? Ok good to go .

Last years ,  no idea the brand , perhaps Hornady . Dead right there .

forced me to go downstairs and look . I use the Hornady on top ,she uses the two below ,after getting scoped the reduced recoil ones .

DB88B236-4652-4E8F-9DB5-B5784E087E26.jpeg

B548ED26-CC93-4766-AB0C-6A5C7B1EBCF5.jpeg

9E6E174C-3F33-433C-8457-967BCE04D90F.png

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 3

I know you asked about factory ammo, but I am going to throw this out there. Loading your own has many many benefits,  that I am sure everyone knows about.

BUT and it’s a big but, if anyone has thought about loading their own,  one best get the supply’s and a bunch of it soon . With the Democrats having this much control, ammo restriction is on its way. 

Stepping my soap box .... 

I've get the best accuracy from Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip cartridges with 140 grain bullets.  I also like the Lubalox coating on the bullets which really eliminates copper fouling and makes cleaning the bore real easy.  Been using them for about 12 years now.  It's a fantastic whitetail round.

I have had very good luck with the American Whitetail 139 gr. Both at the range and in the field. I am very impressed with the devastating effect they have on deer

Edited by Piseco

Lol. Well I am more confused than ever.   Ok so I will likely start with a box of the 139 whitetail and 140 fed premium and see how they do.  Thanks all!  

And thanks Dave for the offer.  Not sure if I will get into handloads so just trying to find something factory that is accurate.   I do appreciate the offer!

• Like 1

don't have a 7mm-08. most accurate and consistent factory ammo I've owned was Black Hills.  They don't load that round probably just very common ones. Next best ammo has been a toss up between Hornady Precision Hunter and Federal Fusion ammo. both have been accurate and consistent in different rifles and available in 7-08 

• Like 1

FWIW I have owned and hunted with the 7mm 08 for over 10 years, it likes just about everything I run through it from Remington green box to Federal Fusion. I use 140 grain just for the stopping power, the recoil from this caliber is negligible to me. This past two seasons I have been running Hornady SST in 139 grain, and my shot groups have tightened by almost a quarter inch and the deer I shot from 60 yards was dead in under 30 yards, despite the less than perfect shot placement on my part. 

It is mostly personal preference, but if you have the extra stew to pony up Hornady is probably the most consistent and well made factory ammo IMHO. If I am going after deer, SST's are perfect. Larger game where you need a more solid bullet construct, like for bear or Caribou, they make a GMX class of bullet just for bigger game. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:07 AM, LET EM GROW said:

American Whitetail, Hornady Superformance , and Deer Season XP shoot well from my cheap axis. 

if you get the Hornady Superformance ammo to shoot well out of your rifle that'd be gold. I tried it in my varmint rifle and it was horrific the groups i got with it.  Haven't tried it in larger caliber rifles.

American Whitetail, Hornady and Federal are my prefered brands depending on the gun.  All seem like very consistent and reliable ammo, Federal has been my choice for high power (30-06), American Whitetail for 44 mag and Hornady for the 30-30.