Youth Hunt

Pygmy

I have never taken a young hunter out, because since the youth hunt  was instituted in NY the dates have always interfered with my Ontario  hunt..However, this year, the youth hunt is earlier, so I have a young hunter to take out next weekend..

Scouted the property this morning, and had 4 longbeards and six hens in my winter wheat field...All four of the gobblers had good beards, but two of them had spurs over an inch.. They were close enough for me to check them out with my 8x42 Leicas...

Hopefully, I'll be able to get one in range for the young lad that will be hunting with me next weekend...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 18

Just now, ODYSSEUS said:

Sounds like a great plan!

Thanks, Bill....Actually, in years back I have called in a first turkey for a number of younger( and older) friends, but this will be my first time participating in the official youth hunt...I am looking forward to it, more than I am my own hunting..The young fellow I am taking out is a very nice kid and is very into hunting and fishing.. If he manages to score, he will probably have one of those  smart phones, so perhaps I will have pictures to share..

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Going up to Gator's this year Dan?

Yes I am...Just not sure when...The Mermaid has eye surgery opening day of Ontario season, so I can't go up the first few days as usual...The season is open the entire month of May, and I still plan to go up for a week or so..Just not sure which week...

Glad you have a kid to take out, poor timing this year with Easter weekend being the same as youth hunt. Many are away on vacation and others just have other commitments due to the holiday.  Will be 1st year I havent had youth in many. Kids just to busy ...

Yes I am...Just not sure when...The Mermaid has eye surgery opening day of Ontario season, so I can't go up the first few days as usual...The season is open the entire month of May, and I still plan to go up for a week or so..Just not sure which week...

Good luck to her and YOU with the eye surgery- I hope when she’s all healed up she doesn’t run for the hills after really seeing you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bummer....Just got in touch with the Dad of the youth hunter I was planning to take out next weekend...He has made other arrangements with some formal youth hunting group sponsored by a local sportsman's club, which is fine...

I guess I will have to wait until May 1 and shoot those gobblers myself.....<<sigh>>….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otto said:

Dan, where in Ontario do you go? (General location). Is it public or private property?  I go up there frequently but have never thought about turkey hunting there.  

I'll tell you exactly where I go, Tony...It is near Picton, in Prince Edward County...I hunt with a local fellow who has lived there most of his life and gets us permission on private land...There is some Crown Land  in the area, but I have never hunted it...

When I first hunted up there, in the late 1990's,  the season had only been open a couple of years...The turkey population was expanding, and the locals had not learned how to hunt them yet....Naaive birds and not much effective hunting pressure...Lots of fun....  But within ten years or so, the learning curve took effect with both the birds and the hunters, and now the damn things are just as tough to kill as the ones around here that have been hunted 50 years...Hehehe...  I still enjoy going up,  but I think my time is limited...My friend up there is in poor health  and a couple of the landowners that give us permission are older than dirt...

One  complication to hunting turkeys in Ontario..In order to get a turkey license, you must first take a day long turkey hunting safety course... They only hold the courses at certain times....

• Like 1

Easter has me booked for the weekend. Decided to have the gathering at our new house... it does stink it coincides with the Youth Hunt.  I may get a few hours Saturday morning, Ill have to find a youth since my Step son wants to go with his dad, whom has zero experience turkey hunting and wont let me try to help them out. Lol. Best of Luck Dan! I love calling for someone else especially a youth, more than actually hunting. 

• Like 1