Can dog surgery be very expensive?

Hunter007

7 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Dog surgery is crazy expensive , you can get insurance for pets now.

Most people I know just have them put to sleep when they get that sick .

But then again service dog  not as easy to replace I guess and probably very expensive. guy said this is the 3rd operation for the dog 

Edited by Storm914

Depending on the surgery or illness being treated....thousands of dollars. Dogs with hip injuries/ spinal injuries, etc. the sky is the limit....we recently had to make that decision for our ageing Rottwieller who had a spinal injury. Conservatively for surgery, not including diagnostics (yes, potentially CAT scans, etc. like people get, 4-5 thousand, with no guarantee of success.

The next question, is after the surgeries would the dog still be able to function as a service dog.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just put my lab/ great Dane mix down after 12 years. When he was 5 he had cancer in his bottom jaw. Luckily cancer surgeon in Florida knew what he was doing. Chopped off 1/2 of bottom jaw, sewed up lip could never tell, then gave him enough chemo that would kill a human. Life expectancy given 2 years, cost, couple grand. He made it 7 years, best decision I ever made. 2 months ago the cancer came back with a vengeance, he went from great to can't get up on his own in 3 days. Took him to the vet, he said he is engulfed with cancer again. Put him down , had him cremated and kept his ashes, another $500.

I would do it all over again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I like my dog, shes a great companion.

But its not a person and a couple hundred bucks is the limit.

She was hobbling along on 3 legs and vet wanted 5 grand for scans and leg surgery.

Guess what?

4 months later she was just fine and took about 2 months to get muscle tone back in shape. Most likely a broke bone in the toe from running on broken rocky ground.

Vets are in business to play to the sympathy of owners and play up the "their your child" guilt.

• Like 3

$600 is nothing  , neighbors paid 5 grand to have a sock the dog ate removed .

No way I’d spend that cash and frankly Ive put pets down myself before .

A dog isnt  worth one one thousands of my kids .

My beagle is 13 and has been peeing in the house the last month or so, we go to,the vet next week . We’ll see what he says ,but we may end up taking one last walk into the woods with a .22 and a shovel .

• Like 1

The cost of vet services vary wildly, mainly depending on where you're located. I know people that travel 50-60  miles to see a vet in a more rural area simply to save several hundred dollars on dental work &/or surgeries. ALL vets have similar credentials, some have very poor "bedside manners", many clinics are paying for a fancy building, an extensive staff &/or equipment, blah, blah.

If your vet suggests a trip to Cornell's Vet school for surgery, diagnosis or a simple consultation for your pet - $$$!

Depends on the situation, the surgery, where your going for this : specialty facility- 24 hour facility the costs will be greater.  No , vets are not in it to play up the sympathy , you’re offered with the best options and go from there.  I’m sure there are some like that but most are not   For schooling to become a vet versus a people  dr the people doctor the student loans are the same if not more.The people dr and or dentists  also makes a lot more coin than a vet. Many vets are still paying off their loans 30 years after graduating from vet school. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I posted about putting my beloved 16 yo Jakey Dog down back in December.  Never met this vet before from Lap of Love, but she was a Godsend in my darkest hour.  Every single cent was money well spent to have Jake leave peacefully while surrounded by all of us at home.  A piece of me crossed over that bridge with Jake and I will be eternally grateful to the vet who gave him such a peaceful and compassionate end.  Extra gratitude for TF and Mrs. TF who helped to guide me in that most difficult decision. 

2018-12-02 05.36.47 1.jpg

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Depends where you go. I have a friend that come to a vet out by me because he is 60% cheaper than his old vet in orchard park. For same services

^^^ Kind of what I was referring to. More urban or upscale suburbia vet clinics can be expensive. I use one in a more rural area that are every bit as good as the fancier clinics and more economical.

If I had to pay a vet for a usual check-up visit what DRs & DDSs charge (w/o insurance), wouldn't have a pet! 

9 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Dog surgery is crazy expensive , you can get insurance for pets now.

I am one of those suckers who pays for pet insurance, it's about $30/month per dog. I had a spell a few years ago where both dogs needed minor operations (hunting dog had an infected paw form a porcupine quill, she also got cut WIDE open on a barbed wire fence another time, and the wife's pooch had bladder stones). Each one of these episodes was between $800-$2,000 per procedure, after the bladder stone surgery I decided to get insurance, since both dogs were relatively young at the time . The wife's dog needed another procedure after we got insurance, and the insurance company stepped up and paid the bill without waffling, so I feel good about the decision. I like my dogs more than most people I know, I took on the responsibility of caring for them, so I feel obligated. I justify the expense by packing a lunch each day, drinking cheap beer, and using an inexpensive cell phone carrier.

But you do reach a point where a pet's quality of life isn't worth the monetary sacrifice anymore. Nobody feels good about turning out the lights for good, but it's all a part of being a pet owner. I'd like to think that if there is a heaven, my dogs will be patiently waiting for me when I finally show up.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

I didn’t mean to sound callous above , but I’ve put down pets and I’ve “put down “ parents , and while the conversation with the vet and the one with my Dads Dr. were  eerily similar ,the mental anguish and stress weren’t comparable.

Ending my Dads care was the second most stressful thing I’ve done, the first being putting my Mother in nursing home . Told her she was going to a Drs appointment , when she realized it was a nursing home ,she starting crying,yelling and punching me . My sisters had the luxury of leaving the room,but I stayed crying with her , being her punching bag , really that was the day she started  to die , and I brought her there .

I love our dog and when the time comes it’ll  be unpleasant for sure but I’ve been though far worse .

While I like our Vet just fine , Gus doesn’t , each time he’s stressed out there, he’ll crap in their parking lot and shake the whole time inside. Not sure I’d want that to be the last act we share together, a small windowless room,a cold metal,table , two,people restraining him while a third gives him a shot .

Idk, perhaps sharing one last campfire in the woods he loves ,and never waking up in the morning would be more fitting . Hopefully that’s still,years out , now if the  Vet would come and administer the shot there that would be ideal.

My Golden Zimba needed hip surgery at 10 months old. He couldn't even go down up the stairs and he was still basically a puppy. My choices were pay $5000 or have him suffer until I decided to put him down. I paid the 5k on a credit card because I didn't have the money and he was my best friend for the next 12 years. His life was worth every cent I spent on him. I still miss him....

• Like 4