Weird !

fasteddie

Lets see if I get this 200 day gestation math correct. The typical or main November rut conceived fawns are usually born late May or so. So.. if a fawn was conceived during any subsequent Dec, Jan rut activities - they could be born in late July, early August. Have to imagine one of these later birthed fawns would have a very short period of bountiful food sources available and have a hard time surviving the winter being so young. Obviously, they can per the photo evidence!!

Eddie, you'll have to contact Bill Nye the science guy, but I don't think deer are prone to dwarfism. Ground shrinkage maybe...

7 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Eddie, you'll have to contact Bill Nye the science guy, but I don't think deer are prone to dwarfism. Ground shrinkage maybe...

I was being facetious about the dwarfism .  I think Bill Nye is a phoney .......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

So.. if a fawn was conceived during any subsequent Dec, Jan rut activities - they could be born in late July, early August. Have to imagine one of these later birthed fawns would have a very short period of bountiful food sources available and have a hard time surviving the winter being so young. Obviously, they can per the photo evidence!!

I would go along with this.  Also, that might be one of them "extra big" does.  It don't seem too "weird" to me.    I have seen some tiny deer during hunting season, including one little doe fawn that a buddy killed at our place, that would fit in a game bag on the back of a jacket.  In a normal winter with lots of snow, the coyotes would likely take out most of those late-born ones.  The light and short-lasting snow this winter must have enabled most of them to survive.      

• Like 1

That's a cow doe ... she did well through the winter no ribs  yet .  Yearling  with her doesn't look bad from the pic. I think it's an average yearling with a huge doe . We dont see many super mature does anymore  with all the doe permits being filled.  My biggest doe was killed in woodhull area back in 1984. DEC weighed  her at 160 lbs . And aged her at 7.5 years old .

• Like 1

I was trying to wonder what was so weird with the picture lol, Had to read the comments.  There have been a lot of small deer around lately, some smaller than what normal would seem.. I have even heard it from some friends in their travels lately.

We Just need to remember that March is the hardest Month for them, Probably the month they are going to look the worst/smallest.. 

If a 6 month old deer (+- a month or 2) makes it, the winter must have been as harsh as some think... They are built to survive no doubt

• Like 1

I also couldn't figure out what was wrong, or possibly, till I read the following notes. I have frequently seen much smaller fawns/ yearlings. Considering the relatively short growth time from birth in the spring to fall, if you have a late conceived doe, (even several weeks/month) they are going to be significantly smaller than their fellow babies.

It dawned on me that during Crossbow and early gun season that I came across a spotted fawn a couple times . Opening day of gun season my oldest son saw the spotted fawn . I bet the picture of the small deer I posted is that fawn and it made it through the winter .