New eagle WIP

wooly

I got a good start on another eagle yesterday. Just your basic stump eagle pose with a few feature changes I did to add a little more life. Need to think of a design for the base and finish up a few more things on the bird himself.

My neighbor also brought me over a mess of big ol' poplar logs he cut up in his yard last fall that he was just going to burn to get rid of. Damn them suckers are HEEEEAVY!

I managed to get a few of those hauled over to my pit on a plastic sled when we still had a little snow on the ground and carved a few bear heads from them. He brought the rest over on the quad for me yesterday which was awfully white of him!

My little Bernzomatic torch was having a real hard time getting any kind of burn on them since they were still so green, so I had to "upgrade" to a different level flame thrower!

Besides my saws, I think I found my new favorite tool,lol. For some reason my PC is not embedding any you tube vids, so the clickable link here should take you to my short torch demo there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bq652p1olE

DSC_0090.thumb.JPG.c3afa0f6d10f8b1fd1d1f94f2a8d65b0.JPG

DSC_0087.thumb.JPG.d6d953349fa1c6c31d875da8ea85a8e5.JPG

DSC_0079.thumb.JPG.8b835774a26a151918589e93ccf42a28.JPG

DSC_0092.JPG.fbe698a9f39f5ea0dc22ded421ba58c8.JPGDSC_0053.JPG.d753ca0e429570ee5b7c45965f4b3008.JPG

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Very cool stuff, Wooly. I really like the new torch as well. That should save you some time.

That thing saved me AT LEAST an hour on that head and such a nice deep, even burn! 

My little old handheld bottle kit "bearly" touched the color of that wood no matter how long I held the flame to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wooly said:

That thing saved me AT LEAST an hour on that head and such a nice deep, even burn! 

My little old handheld bottle kit "bearly" touched the color of that wood no matter how long I held the flame to it.

I had a similar one for "torch down" roofing many years ago. We used it to cook burgers at lunch time, like Grampy said. And I like the "bearly" comment!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I had a similar one for "torch down" roofing many years ago. We used it to cook burgers at lunch time, like Grampy said. And I like the "bearly" comment!

My supervisor on a job early in my career burned a clients home right to the ground torching down a roof and getting the fire kindled inside a wall. Left for the day and overnight it really got going.:rolleyes:

Spent the next 8 months rebuilding it.^_^

Nice job on bird.:drinks:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wooly said:

I got a good start on another eagle yesterday. Just your basic stump eagle pose with a few feature changes I did to add a little more life. Need to think of a design for the base and finish up a few more things on the bird himself.

My neighbor also brought me over a mess of big ol' poplar logs he cut up in his yard last fall that he was just going to burn to get rid of. Damn them suckers are HEEEEAVY!

I managed to get a few of those hauled over to my pit on a plastic sled when we still had a little snow on the ground and carved a few bear heads from them. He brought the rest over on the quad for me yesterday which was awfully white of him!

My little Bernzomatic torch was having a real hard time getting any kind of burn on them since they were still so green, so I had to "upgrade" to a different level flame thrower!

Besides my saws, I think I found my new favorite tool,lol. For some reason my PC is not embedding any you tube vids, so the clickable link here should take you to my short torch demo there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bq652p1olE

DSC_0090.thumb.JPG.c3afa0f6d10f8b1fd1d1f94f2a8d65b0.JPG

DSC_0087.thumb.JPG.d6d953349fa1c6c31d875da8ea85a8e5.JPG

DSC_0079.thumb.JPG.8b835774a26a151918589e93ccf42a28.JPG

DSC_0092.JPG.fbe698a9f39f5ea0dc22ded421ba58c8.JPGDSC_0053.JPG.d753ca0e429570ee5b7c45965f4b3008.JPG

Those are awesome!!!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

My supervisor on a job early in my career burned a clients home right to the ground torching down a roof and getting the fire kindled inside a wall. Left for the day and overnight it really got going.:rolleyes:

Spent the next 8 months rebuilding it.^_^

Nice job on bird.:drinks:

I never suggested that it was a safe roofing technique. It was just common practice 40 years ago. Most everything is adhesive now, as you know.

21 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I never suggested that it was a safe roofing technique. It was just common practice 40 years ago. Most everything is adhesive now, as you know.

I still do Dibiten torch down here and there; I actually like it better then the thinner EPDM glue down systems for residential (don't care for the soft EPDM underlayment).  

Just have to use your head when torch is involved; Ed was never a good supervisor or good tradesman, just friends with the company owner. LOL

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I still do Dibiten torch down here and there; I actually like it better then the thinner EPDM glue down systems for residential (don't care for the soft EPDM underlayment).  

Just have to use your head when torch is involved; Ed was never a good supervisor or good tradesman, just friends with the company owner. LOL

I've also done a lot of plumbing work in old houses. Nothing in my life has scared me more than running a torch in those old cobweb-filled buildings. I always had an extinguisher handy, but it was still terrifying. Don't miss that at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Awesome as usual. How about talons holding down a fish to finish that off on the eagle.

Did the fish thing on one of my other eagles, so I've kinda been leaning towards having him on a skull... or holding a skull... or a pile of skulls,lol.

I got a weird thing for skulls lately.

• Like 4