Glad I Don't Live In Florida

Steve D

Way to many bugs snakes and alligators in Florida for me let alone hurricanes and oppressive heat.. nice place to visit would never move there.  

We may have ticks I guess but termites cockroaches and several poisonous spiders..far out weigh the danger from ticks here....I've seen more black widows around a single light fixture in floridia then I've seen in 48 years in ny.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Way to many bugs snakes and alligators in Florida for me let alone hurricanes and oppressive heat.. nice place to visit would never move there.  

We may have ticks I guess but termites cockroaches and several poisonous spiders..far out weigh the danger from ticks here....I've seen more black widows around a single light fixture in floridia then I've seen in 48 years in ny.. 

Nothing beats NY  if they fix the politics here 

Edited by Storm914

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Nothing beats NY  if they fix the politics here 

If they fix the politics, we would be troubled by too much traffic and less available "free food"  (aka wild game).   For me, that political dysfunction is a very small price to pay in exchange for relaxing drives to and from work every day, and all the wild game that my family can eat.  I always long for a return home to NY state, whenever work or family vacations take me out of it for a while.  I feel sorry for all those folks living elsewhere.      

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wolc123 said:

If they fix the politics, we would be troubled by too much traffic and less available "free food"  (aka wild game).   For me, that political dysfunction is a very small price to pay in exchange for relaxing drives to and from work every day, and all the wild game that my family can eat.  I always long for a return home to NY state, whenever work or family vacations take me out of it for a while.  I feel sorry for all those folks living elsewhere.      

Hmm never thought about it but who would leave NY state if the government here was run right maybe  it is done on purpose maybe the   powers that be don't want more people coming to this state . So they tax the crap out of us just to keep the numbers down .

snake.jpg.eb02f500adaf4c5b62039abe90db19ce.jpg
A record 17-foot Burmese python was captured in the Big Cypress National Preserve in south Florida. The female weighed 140 pounds and had 73 developing eggs.
Florida's war on pythons has escalated to new levels, with a radio transmitter chip in a male snake helping reveal the location of a record 17-foot female captured in Big Cypress National Preserve.
Interesting way of tracking and eradicating....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, G-Man said:

Taint the animal critters that were bad... it's the people critters!

I go to Florida often for work. In a current stretch of 5 trips in 7 weeks. Jan to April is nice...the humidity hit last week finally.

For those outside of NYC, people in NY can move to several states and experience somewhat similar living conditions or close enough that it's tolerable or possibly more attractive. Florida is an outright change in nearly every aspect. Snakes included.

One thing I will say is that bowhunters in Florida who are regularly successful - I think they're pound for pound the most skilled of any state east of the MS. They put up with monumental conditions working against them and do the work to make it happen. Not alot of "easy" bowhunting in Florida.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Our place is in central Florida- north of Orlando and South of Ocala. We have oak trees near us that are 20 to 28 inches DBH so it has been quite a while since the area was severely impacted by a hurricane. I was told by my neighbors that Irma knocked down exactly one tree in our development. Hurricanes tend to travel up one coast or the other -and my homeowners insurance is proof of that!

There are no water features near me, hence no gators. Village next to me has houses built around ponds, two nuisance gators were removed there last year. Hunters legally harvested 257 gators in the county last year. This sounds like a opportunity, not a problem.

It will take a while to learn and adjust to the wildlife. I have American green tree frogs in my yard as well as a large rat snake. I'm told that if your going to have snakes, they are the ones to have. Neighbor showed me pics of a wild hog that he took. The tusks look to be about 5 inches long.

I have not seen a cockroach or spider. I guess the frogs are doing there jobs.

I know about humidity. I spent the entire Summer of 1972 with the US Army in Louisiana. For now, we will be spending Summers in NY anyhow.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 10:05 AM, dbHunterNY said:

i'd never stay for fishing in NY. fishing in florida is hands down better.

In every respect. Freshwater and Saltwater. Well, unless you like walleye, trout and salmon fishing. Other than that, Florida has NY beat without a doubt.

• Like 1

You guys are goofy if you think Florida residents dont go outside when its hot, or just go from AC to AC. You become acclimatized. I lived down there for a few years, had no AC in my truck and worked outdoors at a marina running up and down the docks all year round. I had to buy a winter jacket after I had been there for 8 months. It felt downright freezing if it was below 50. You get used to it. When I moved back up North, for a few years I wore a jacket if it was below 65 degrees.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Our place is in central Florida- north of Orlando and South of Ocala. We have oak trees near us that are 20 to 28 inches DBH so it has been quite a while since the area was severely impacted by a hurricane. I was told by my neighbors that Irma knocked down exactly one tree in our development. Hurricanes tend to travel up one coast or the other -and my homeowners insurance is proof of that!

There are no water features near me, hence no gators. Village next to me has houses built around ponds, two nuisance gators were removed there last year. Hunters legally harvested 257 gators in the county last year. This sounds like a opportunity, not a problem.

It will take a while to learn and adjust to the wildlife. I have American green tree frogs in my yard as well as a large rat snake. I'm told that if your going to have snakes, they are the ones to have. Neighbor showed me pics of a wild hog that he took. The tusks look to be about 5 inches long.

I have not seen a cockroach or spider. I guess the frogs are doing there jobs.

I know about humidity. I spent the entire Summer of 1972 with the US Army in Louisiana. For now, we will be spending Summers in NY anyhow.

Likely gets pretty hot in the summer. Inland is worse than the coast. If the sea breezes collide over you, the douche bag rains can be severe. Probably good to do NY summers and FL winters. Try to time your travels to avoid the love bugs! LOL. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:36 AM, ODYSSEUS said:

When is the Wild Hog Season down in Florida?  

On private land the season is open year round, no bag limit, no hunting license needed. On public land and refuges licenses are needed and area specific regs may apply.