Bison

Skillet

23 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Going to take the muzzleloader instead of crossbow. Trying to work up a load for my Lyman Deerstalker. 

No luck with the 600gr No Excuses. Couldn't get them to stabilize in my barrel (1:48).

Planning to try the 460gr next.

Go flintlock! Full pioneer dress! That would be awesome

6 hours ago, Skillet said:

Going to take the muzzleloader instead of crossbow. Trying to work up a load for my Lyman Deerstalker. 

No luck with the 600gr No Excuses. Couldn't get them to stabilize in my barrel (1:48).

When is the hunt Kurt??

6 hours ago, Skillet said:

Is 1/48 actually considered a twist.  Lol.  Hope the 460 work for ya and you leave a big bison with a big hole.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would enjoy a bison hunt. Locally, I know of one pay to shoot up north, where you can get a bison meat hunt (oh jeesh, I am dating myself now....its has been about 10 years) about 1000 pre butcher at that time. I guess just to fill the freezer it isn't too bad, but I am with you, I would love to hunt it out on the plains...I would have to use my falling block 45-70 though.

• 3 months later...

The hunt is slowly getting closer. Oct 14th is the day.

Shot the muzzleloader today. 

This group is 10 shots off a pair of shooting sticks. 50 to 75 yards.

Not as good as a scoped inline, but I'm happy seeing as it is a peeped hawken.

420gr conical over 80gr of 777 ffg.

I would like a hotter load, but the groups start to open up if I increase the powder.

You muzzleloader guys think 80 is enough?

Shots on the hunt will avg between 50 and 75 yards. Heart and lungs only. No head shots.

IMG_20190824_185859855.jpg

• Like 5

Ever wonder where those old frontiersmen were shooting the buffalo when they dropped them in their tracks??? IDK, so just guessing that a buffalo has one thick skull.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:44 PM, moog5050 said:

Is 1/48 actually considered a twist.  

Moog, IRC the 1:48 was the rifling (twist) when the cap lock MLs were 1st hand manufactured in the mid-1800s. Sort of carried over to the modern ML traditionalist. Not unusual for older style flintlock's to have a twist rate of 1:66. Thought process back then was to give some spin to the ball & improve accuracy over the old smooth bores as best as they could with hand techniques. Lot of modern inline MLs shooting sabots utilize 1:24 to 1:32 barrel rifling. What you're thinking is twist relative to modern rifle/handgun rifling, right!?! EX; Twist rates of 1:6 for an AR-15, 1:16 for a 1911 45cal handgun. Even rifles of different calibers have slightly different twist rates. The infamous Barret 50cal has twist rates of only (?) ~1:15, compared to my OTC Savage 270 deer rifle w/1:10 twist.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Skillet said:

Leaving Saturday. Can't freaking wait. Booked a day of prairie dog shooting for my son, too. Got a lot to do this week. 

Nervous about the 1375 mile drive. 

Woot!!!!!!!

The Drive will be a piece of cake.......ya get tired, ya pull over. 

Let the boy drive.... :)

• Haha 1