Bison

Skillet

I got an email today that I drew a bull bison tag, for the Lower Brule reservation in SD. 

I can't believe it. Never expected to draw in the lottery. 

Planning on taking the crossbow.

Anyone here hunted bison before?

Any advice on bolt / broadhead combos?

• Like 22

14 minutes ago, Skillet said:

I got an email today that I drew a bull bison tag, for the Lower Brule reservation in SD. 

Your neighbor Don S. has hunted them but with rifle I'd bet.......

How cool!  Can you take your son with you?

Still with the taxidermist?

Heck, the first thing I should of said is "are you still in Naples?"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Your neighbor Don S. has hunted them but with rifle I'd bet.......

How cool!  Can you take your son with you?

Still with the taxidermist?

Heck, the first thing I should of said is "are you still in Naples?"

Hi Law! Long time!

Don killed an absolute monster with a rifle.

The boy will be going with me.

No, Carol and I parted ways, but I'm happily married these days.

We live in Naples. Across town from the camp (still have it). Life is good down here in the holler!

How you been?

• Like 2

friend hunted bison with a bow and said it wasn't real hard to kill one compared to say a tough cape buffalo.  still i'd go with a heavy Easton FMJ or Carbon Express Pile Driver bolt. Then use a cut on contact head like a Magnus stringer and make sure it's razor sharp. 

..congrats too btw.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Hi Law! Long time!

Don killed an absolute monster with a rifle.

The boy will be going with me.

No, Carol and I parted ways, but I'm happily married these days.

We live in Naples. Across town from the camp (still have it). Life is good down here in the holler!

How you been?

Let's see.........Everything is good on my end.  Haven't been your way in a couple years since my uncle sold his camp.  Oh I still go to Canadice often and now that I think of it, I had breakfast at the Redwood back in the fall with my buddy. 

I'm sure you and your son will have a great time and tons of success.  Take plenty of film and keep us posted on trip preparations.... :)

Congratulations on the marriage, I wish you well.

• Like 1

Hoping not to rain on your parade, but do wish you an enjoyable and successful hunt!!!

A bison hunt was always on my bucket list... Until I actually watched a few of these hunts on TV shows. Appears as more of slaking a herd of cows on the prairie and your Native American guide selecting what bison to shoot. Admittedly, a bow or Xbow hunt might be different than using a long gun!! At least for me a bison hunt was taken off my bucket list. Although I would enjoy a sort of photo taking experience more than killing one.

Would be interested in hearing from some one that has actually experienced a bison hunt!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Hoping not to rain on your parade, but do wish you an enjoyable and successful hunt!!!

A bison hunt was always on my bucket list... Until I actually watched a few of these hunts on TV shows. Appears as more of slaking a herd of cows on the prairie and your Native American guide selecting what bison to shoot. Admittedly, a bow or Xbow hunt might be different than using a long gun!! At least for me a bison hunt was taken off my bucket list. Although I would enjoy a sort of photo taking experience more than killing one.

Would be interested in hearing from some one that has actually experienced a bison hunt!

Always been on my list too. I shot one for a buddy who raised them on his preserve. He needed one for his freezer and offered to let me shoot it with my bow, but that doesn't count. It was very easy.

I am hoping a real hunt like this is much more challenging.

I'll be sure to let you guys know.

• Like 1

I watched a fellow hunt a Bison a couple of weeks ago on one of those outdoor-hunting channels, I can not remember where his hunt was but the country was open and the Bison were wild and spooky. He had a hard time getting within a couple of hundred yards of the herd as there was too many eyes and they were always spotted and the herd moved off and kept it's distance.  From what was shown on that hunt he would not have had a successful kill with a crossbow, he would not have been able to get in range. He finally got a shot at a trophy Bull at about 250 yards with a scoped rifle and made it good.

If I had the luck of drawing a hunt for wild Bison it would give me the excuse to buy a Sharps single shot Buffalo rifle in 45-70 and that is what I would be using.:yes:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I killed one in Wyoming about 10 years ago. It was on a large ranch, not a fenced pen, but there were cattle guards and low barbed wire fences surrounding the ranch, so they would really need a good reason to try & get out.

I killed a younger bull, about 200# of boned out meat, VERY close to grass fed beef, the family enjoyed every bite, I also got a nifty skull that I bleached & hung in my basement, and a beautiful rug that I will have made into a mountain-man coat some day.

For a number of reasons, I'd use a rifle rather than trying to kill one with an arrow, but good luck whetever you decide to do.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 3

congrats def an awesome draw.  Saw a hunting show with Buckcommanders and one of the guys was doing this.  He was sitting on the edge of some trees and waiting for the herd to come by on his left and camera guy says look to the right and there was a mountain lion looking at those bison too about 15 yards from him.  

cool hunt for sure - good luck and start a thread about the hunt when you go - would sure love to follow along !   

40 minutes ago, airedale said:

I watched a fellow hunt a Bison a couple of weeks ago on one of those outdoor-hunting channels, I can not remember where his hunt was but the country was open and the Bison were wild and spooky. He had a hard time getting within a couple of hundred yards of the herd as there was too many eyes and they were always spotted and the herd moved off and kept it's distance.  From what was shown on that hunt he would not have had a successful kill with a crossbow, he would not have been able to get in range. He finally got a shot at a trophy Bull at about 250 yards with a scoped rifle and made it good.

If I had the luck of drawing a hunt for wild Bison it would give me the excuse to buy a Sharps single shot Buffalo rifle in 45-70 and that is what I would be using.:yes:

Al

I like the idea of going old school with this kind of hunt. Good luck

Congrats on the tag draw Skillet! Very cool.  I too will be following your adventure from here.

My grandmother was full blood native american. As a boy, I visited the reservation with her, quite a few times, and learned some of the 'old ways' from my great uncles. There is something deeply appealing to me about hunting a bison with the bow. 

Wishing you fun and success.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, grampy said:

Congrats on the tag draw Skillet! Very cool.  I too will be following your adventure from here.

My grandmother was full blood native american. As a boy, I visited the reservation with her, quite a few times, and learned some of the 'old ways' from my great uncles. There is something deeply appealing to me about hunting a bison with the bow. 

Wishing you fun and success.

Now I know why you were so stealthy in the woods.  Its in the genes Dave!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skillet said:

Dude that's awesome!!! This is one of the hunts I can't wait to go on one day solely for the meat. I had a buffalo rib eye in CO this year and hands down best steak I ever had. If you get one on the ground get as many cut that way as you can! Can't wait to hear the update come hunting season. Good Luck!!!!!

• Like 1

I think for this hunt it is mandatory, that you wear traditional Native American clothing. You know the string that holds a buck skin to cover your parts, the feather hat, and war paint, lots of war paint. If you need inspiration watching the Davy Crockett movie is a good place to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Going to take the muzzleloader instead of crossbow. Trying to work up a load for my Lyman Deerstalker. 

No luck with the 600gr No Excuses. Couldn't get them to stabilize in my barrel (1:48).

Planning to try the 460gr next.

• Like 1