New orchard started..

Cleared about 2/3 of an acre of brush on new piece . This is 1st step, next will be clearing surface trash by spraying vegetation killer, followed by a leveling/filling of holes from removed tree stumps and brush. , last planting of some wi clover and then 16 apple, pear ,peach trees.20190417_104158.thumb.jpg.b1700e73566160b83421f76794cbaac8.jpg

• Like 9

Cleared about 2/3 of an acre of brush on new piece . This is 1st step, next will be clearing surface trash by spraying vegetation killer, followed by a leveling/filling of holes from removed tree stumps and brush. , last planting of some wi clover and then 16 apple, pear ,peach trees.20190417_104158.thumb.jpg.b1700e73566160b83421f76794cbaac8.jpg

Looks great. Where’s my stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Looks great. Where’s my stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a stand if you zoom photo 2nd white pine from right with existing apple.between the two pines..and at my back. Taking photos is existing pear tree.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

You sure do a lot of work on your property Gman.  But I would think it's prob as enjoyable as the hunting is. 

Nice plan and apple pies to boot!

This is 3rd orchard I've started. I have existing orchards one is 20 acres but it is about 1.5 miles from this spot. I have 2 new plots to clear as well but both are only 1/4 acre kill plots. This is big project for plots this year..biggest project will be dozer work end of may. I have several miles of logging road to regrade and put in water bars and turn outs..

I do enjoy the plotting and placing of stands much more than actual hunting.trail cameras captures and It makes me happy when someone gets a good one out of a stand I hung and prepped.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

You fence/tube all the new trees so the deer don't destroy them?

Other measures?

Other critters that' damage them; bear, mice etc?

I fence fruit trees when planted , treetubes can lead to borers in fruit trees. 2x4 welded fence 5ft tall in 1ft diam hoops to protect trunk no need for 5 ft hoops to protect limbs. I don't worry about deer eating limbs that are thru the fence as I want all my limbs over 5 ft off ground anyway when mature. So they do a little pruning g for me is all. 

By killing all existing vegetation and planting wi clover I geta good 3 to 5 year as a food plot bonus as trees continue to mature though I but 7/8 in diameter stock trees 5 to  6 ft tall bare root.that could produce 1st year I plant I spray to knock off fruit 1st 2 years to force root and limb growth. 

Have to use weed mat or clean out grass at bottom of tree early fall to prevent vole and mouse girdling. 

I have had bear pull a 4in diameter apple down to get apples on the top of tree I was able to pull it back up straight and staked it.. it recovered minus a few snapped limbs. 

• Like 1

Pretty cool project G-man.  I'm slowly building an orchard in an old pasture.  Should be 12-20 trees when it's done.  It will be all apples and crab apples though.  

Good info about the fence.  I put mine in tree tubes the first year, but it's time to replace them with cages.  I need to eliminate some of the nearby red cedars too.

Do you mind sharing where you buy your trees?  

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Pretty cool project G-man.  I'm slowly building an orchard in an old pasture.  Should be 12-20 trees when it's done.  It will be all apples and crab apples though.  

Good info about the fence.  I put mine in tree tubes the first year, but it's time to replace them with cages.  I need to eliminate some of the nearby red cedars too.

Do you mind sharing where you buy your trees?  

I get them through an amish farmer in pa through a friend I'll ask for contact info.

2 hours ago, sbuff said:

What types of apple trees you planting .

A variety.  Cortland , yellow delish,Jonathan gold ect.. a few will be grafted with my favorite varieties not commercially available  of roade island greening and wealthy for my own use next year.

Edited by G-Man

16 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

You sure do a lot of work on your property Gman.  But I would think it's prob as enjoyable as the hunting is. 

Nice plan and apple pies to boot!

And then gives you a damn nice prize when you shoot the 100th deer off his property that he does all this work on. I need better friends!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1