New hunting land

Paula

5 hours ago, Paula said:

Think it's out near Canadea, think thank how it's spelled. It's a friend's property and I will be deer hunting there. Going to check it out this morning  ... Excited

Close....it's Caneadea. Nice area.

• Like 1

No cell service! It's Dalton - Grove area. 
We are going to put a few camera out, I have to see what works out of the ones I have. This will be my stand. 
Screenshot_20190419-115831.thumb.png.109a66157dcf029ce80610cd7dc24c8d.png
Screenshot_20190419-115904.thumb.png.5c691cf8c262f9b00d789e8574a06446.png
Dang we all need a friend like that......buys land ✓.......asks you if you wanna hunt there ✓......then says take the Condo blind✓

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Lots of doe in the area, but very few DMP's given out.   There is a ton of state land around there.  If you don't punch your (2) buck tags, during the regular archery and gun seasons, it can be a slam dunk to fill them there on antlerless deer during the late ML season, especially around standing corn, brassicas, or winter wheat.  I would definitely look into getting all of that you can planted around that blind.  That also might be the best area in the state for black bear.  One downside is that the deer bodies run quite small, compared to other areas with lower numbers per acre and more available food.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

He talked about doing a food plot. Previous land owner said it wasn't needed, they bed down across the road and then cross over. 

I do know the deer are small, I'm ok with that since the meat is only for myself. 

I do not bow hunt and I no longer have a black powder. 

Personally I'd do a bunch of habitat work around that stand. If your friend has enough property a land owner tag is possible. As for black powder or crossbow both are very affordable used and sometimes new lot of time before season

• Like 1

I'd thicken it up. Make a small kill plot , hinge cut a few of the maples.. but I'm an aggressive habitat manger. I'd prolly redo about half the property I'm sure.. you kill more deer hearing them then seeing especially with bow..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paula said:

He has been cutting and cleaning runways. What do you suggest? 

My recommendation would be to get an area worked up near that blind over the summer and plant a mixture of winter wheat, white clover, and soybeans in late August.  The sprouting soybeans will draw the deer in like candy and get them using the plots right away (thru September).   The first hard frost will kill any that the deer don't eat first, but by that time the wheat will hold them on the plots.  Wheat is more preferred by deer than cerial rye, easier to find and cheaper.  It is also tolerant of acidic soils.  That wheat will make for some good "kill" plots in late ML season this year.   If the soil is not too acidic, then the clover will do well for the next few years.  The remaining wheat should be mowed off the following late spring (before it goes to seed), to let the clover take over.  The wheat acts as a "nurse" crop to keep the weeds down in the clover, besides giving you good attraction into the first winter.   If you really want to get ambitious, you could get in some spring field corn, or some brassicas in July.    Wheat alone, planted in Late August would be the easiest, and cheapest way to get started, but it would not hurt to mix in a little soybeans and some white clover if you can find it.        

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1