2019 Lawn Thread

BizCT

I am going to try and get my first cut done after dinner.  I just repaired the leaky tire on one of the mowers.  I did not need to add any slime to that one, because it turned out to be a broken stem (on a tubeless front tire).   I just popped off the wheel and laid it down under a larger tractor.  I used a small hydraulic jack to break the bead and then replaced the stem.  10 minutes and a new $ 1.00 NAPA stem and the tire is almost as good as new.     

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:41 AM, bugsNbows said:
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:18 PM, Steve D said:

The rule here is not before May 1st and not after Oct. 15th no matter how high it gets. Once you start it is a endless battle. My idiot neighbor has cut his twice already.  He loves spending 2-3 hrs. mowing:crazy: and once he really gets into it will mow twice a week.

To each their own but as far as I am concerned it is jut grass and I am not feeding it for sure:no:

And if isn't dry I am not cutting it.

LOL. He probably thinks you are an idiot too. 

Mowers are ready to go but I am still holding out for May first or later. My neighbor on the other hand did his fourth cut today:danced:. I hope I am driving him nuts:pardon:

I bought a used John Deer rider last year and its an absolute lemon. It quits after a minute or so when the blade is engaged. Also leaks oil. I got taken

My husqvarna (not rider) has been great. Think I paid under $300 in 2015. Only pay for gas & oil. Changed blade myself once for $22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 y/o, I’ve bought one new mower in my life , never sharpened a blade , and never knew you could change the oil ,I do check it a couple times a year and add whatever is in the garage Marine to 5w20 .

On 4/24/2019 at 2:35 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

my dad was a golf course superintendent for 43 years    worked at same club 80 years  

Very cool. Probably the "best" job I ever had. Did not pay (cash money) that well, but I had housing, free gas, free food and bar privileges and was required to play a minimum of 3 times per week... just to see how the course was! Plus, I had all winter to hunt and work on equipment. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

05ac675209e550c6edd133c3256606b9.jpg

Mulching season. 5 yards delivered today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh how I hated mulching and pulling weeds.  Swapped all the mulch for a red stone and now it is a piece of cake.  Stone stays put (haven't had to add any since I put it in 6 years ago) and what limited weeds that grow (not many) can be pulled with two fingers!  So much easier to maintain.

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Oh how I hated mulching and pulling weeds.  Swapped all the mulch for a red stone and now it is a piece of cake.  Stone stays put (haven't had to add any since I put it in 6 years ago) and what limited weeds that grow (not many) can be pulled with two fingers!  So much easier to maintain.

I lugged 5 yards of stone to the back of my house so I wouldnt have to mulch every year, literally the hardest Ive worked in my whole life over a three day span. What a mistake. Its a mess, full of twigs and helicopters. It looked great for one season 

image.thumb.png.476adf6d6aa7858b054a5144a46fc896.png

image.png

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I lugged 5 yards of stone to the back of my house so I wouldnt have to mulch every year, literally the hardest Ive worked in my whole life over a three day span. What a mistake. Its a mess, full of twigs and helicopters. It looked great for one season 

image.thumb.png.476adf6d6aa7858b054a5144a46fc896.png

image.png

That's what a gas blower is for.  Blow the debris in the yard and bag it or cut it.  The stones stay put.  I have found it really easy to maintain as pristine.  That said, I don't have a lot of messy trees. 

By the way, your pool area looks great.

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That's what a gas blower is for.  Blow the debris in the yard and bag it or cut it.  The stones stay put.  I have found it really easy to maintain as pristine.  That said, I don't have a lot of messy trees. 

By the way, your pool area looks great.

Thanks! I'll be blowing them out if it ever stops raining and see how they look. The metal edging all popped out too. PITA. That maple is the bane of my existence but my wife loves it and it does provide our only shade. Its a messy SOB though

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thanks! I'll be blowing them out if it ever stops raining and see how they look. The metal edging all popped out too. PITA. That maple is the bane of my existence but my wife loves it and it does provide our only shade. Its a messy SOB though

One more thing that I found great is having good edging.  It was a pain to install as you have to dig out the edge of any beds first and then stake it in and it wasn't cheap, but in my quest to both have a well manicured yard and spend little time maintaining it, I installed something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ecoborder-Landscape-Edging-Black-6pk/316967747?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227148499548&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=260252271298&wl4=pla-428494839759&wl5=9005680&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=316967747&wl13=&veh=sem

Mine is a bit thicker and brown in color but its similar.  Does a good job of keeping the grass from creeping in the beds and also holding stone so its doesn't move.  Plus you can run the mover right over the edge which means no trimming!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

One more thing that I found great is having good edging.  It was a pain to install as you have to dig out the edge of any beds first and then stake it in and it wasn't cheap, but in my quest to both have a well manicured yard and spend little time maintaining it, I installed something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ecoborder-Landscape-Edging-Black-6pk/316967747?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227148499548&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=260252271298&wl4=pla-428494839759&wl5=9005680&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=316967747&wl13=&veh=sem

Mine is a bit thicker and brown in color but its similar.  Does a good job of keeping the grass from creeping in the beds and also holding stone so its doesn't move.  Plus you can run the mover right over the edge which means no trimming!

I like that! I put the metal in last year but because its so rigid and I have many roots its way higher than I like. So you stake this down every few feet? It says 6 pack, 4'. Is that 24' per $54?

Found the answer

image.png.5241019f96289e6b7aaec26caf7d063e.png

Edited by The_Real_TCIII