2019 Lawn Thread

BizCT

On 7/4/2019 at 6:07 AM, crappyice said:

Odd...My hydrangeas (SE region)have not started to bloom either with the exception of this little guy/girl
87246421c6e04ee7444f22604d5dfcd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t trim the stalks back in the fall.  All the new flowers grow off the old shoots, so if you cut them back in the fall, no new flowers will come in the spring.  I wait until early summer just before they are ready to blossom to remove any old stalks still poking past the new stalks. 

Nice flowers Biz!  

If you have white hydrangeas, feed them Mir-Acid to get them to turn blue. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours of yard work today. Trimmed up a bunch of low hanging branches. Cleaned out in between the shed and garage which was long over so then did the grass.

I’m loving the new zero turn. So much faster more comfortable and easy to maneuver.

I even have 3 hunting New York members that can testify on my behalf that I was out working.

7a08aa8f50a1dae9fee987fa34787759.jpg629d7af32e843d4ff6fae9d9b33d8ffa.jpg26d3d499ea66cd78d0e7ad84b40b9ac9.jpg

• Like 2

Don’t trim the stalks back in the fall.  All the new flowers grow off the old shoots, so if you cut them back in the fall, no new flowers will come in the spring.  I wait until early summer just before they are ready to blossom to remove any old stalks still poking past the new stalks. 
Nice flowers Biz!  
If you have white hydrangeas, feed them Mir-Acid to get them to turn blue. 

Really?!?! I cut that shat all the way back in the fall....oops

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moho81 said:

6 hours of yard work today. Trimmed up a bunch of low hanging branches. Cleaned out in between the shed and garage which was long over so then did the grass.

I’m loving the new zero turn. So much faster more comfortable and easy to maneuver.

I even have 3 hunting New York members that can testify on my behalf that I was out working.

7a08aa8f50a1dae9fee987fa34787759.jpg629d7af32e843d4ff6fae9d9b33d8ffa.jpg26d3d499ea66cd78d0e7ad84b40b9ac9.jpg

testified! 

6 hours of yard work today.

Too bad those 3 witnesses didn’t pick up a weed walker to cut your time in half!!!

4 minutes ago, Meat First said:

IMG_0758.thumb.JPG.ff1f5c4e0053728c4d12f91eef94b4ca.JPGAnyone have a way to get rid of pee spots besides BELO and his .38?

Scott's bare spot repair or just whatever seed you want. Rake the dead out and put seed down and keep it watered till it grows

3 minutes ago, Meat First said:

Can i grow grass in august or should i just wait until it cools off?

Not sure the temps by you, but for me southeastern NY the temps are still 90's+ so I'd wait till end of august.

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Love me some Bill Heavey- back page author of F&S. He nails it again to the chagrin (or elation!) for some on this thread.

ea5c9b0f1e6173328a9cf625de0cf414.jpg

good read. It honestly just comes down to pride. And when you reach you mid 30's, shit like this matters more for some reason. I paid a good chunk of money for my house and I'm reminded about that every month. Unlike many, I don't do it to impress my neighbors or my guests, but I take pride in my stuff because I'm proud of it and worked hard for it.

Probably the same reason I spent 4 hours machine polishing and detailing my wifes explorer. It's not a sports car, but I like to take care of my stuff. idk...

• Like 1

good read. It honestly just comes down to pride. And when you reach you mid 30's, shit like this matters more for some reason. I paid a good chunk of money for my house and I'm reminded about that every month. Unlike many, I don't do it to impress my neighbors or my guests, but I take pride in my stuff because I'm proud of it and worked hard for it.
Probably the same reason I spent 4 hours machine polishing and detailing my wifes explorer. It's not a sports car, but I like to take care of my stuff. idk...

Same. Whether it’s $50 piece of equipment or tool or much more, I clean it off and store it correctly. Things last a long time this way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pigmy said:

I'm past my mid 30s and can still give 2 shits what my lawn looks like. 

• Like 1