2019 Lawn Thread

BizCT

I was able to get both of our lawn mowers fired up last weekend and tested them a bit, but the lawn did not need cutting yet.   Now we are getting rain for the next three days and it is looking very green.   It will surely need cutting when it dries out, but I should be ready.   I mow about an acre around the house and barns with a couple of 15 hp, 38" cut riding mowers.   One of them has a gear transmission and works better when the grass growing fast in the spring and fall.   I definitely prefer the one with the hydro transmission the rest of the year, but it is a little lacking on power when the grass is real thick.  In order to keep that lawn in check, it usually needs to be cut about every 4 days, after I start.  I can't say that I am looking forward to starting.  I like it a lot better when it slows down in the summer and only needs cutting once a week or less.   The job takes me about 50 minutes with the hydro and about 70 minutes with the gear transmission.    

Edited by wolc123

Had the best fertilizer weed control guy for 10yrs.  Retired and the group that took over was awful last year.   So I just did my first application of fertilizer and crabgrass control.  Will be cut next nice day.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Got my mowers serviced and ready to go.  Got 24 lawns. 1.5 to 7 acres in size.

I'll be mowing some of them next week if it dries out enough so I don't sink.  

Most likely I won't be able to mow next week and have to wait. It'll be super thick and wet making it a nightmare to look good. 

Had the best fertilizer weed control guy for 10yrs.  Retired and the group that took over was awful last year.   So I just did my first application of fertilizer and crabgrass control.  Will be cut next nice day.  

I had lawn doctor for a few years but their timing was bad with rain, etc. so I got rid of them and started doing it myself the last couple years and lawn is better than ever. I did my first treatment last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my mowers serviced and ready to go.  Got 24 lawns. 1.5 to 7 acres in size.
I'll be mowing some of them next week if it dries out enough so I don't sink.  
Most likely I won't be able to mow next week and have to wait. It'll be super thick and wet making it a nightmare to look good. 

What do you charge? Just curious.

John Deere and the push mower all set to go with fresh oil and filters. Got some spots out back that are getting long. But it's pretty soggy out there with all the rain. Next week will find me out there hacking away for the first time this year. Once I start, it's once a week, weather it needs it or not, until the first of October. 

Nobody likes the first guy to mow their lawn.
Peer pressure makes the rest of us have to do it now,  lol

Especially my neighbor. He said today my lawn looks like Yankees stadium and I could hear the anger.

Here’s mine and his front. I keep telling him to stop with crap seed and go Kentucky blue grass

057de24d60712dab73e7947a1d9f7941.jpg

08144c72dd2c1ec0102a018a8712620b.jpg

Especially my neighbor. He said today my lawn looks like Yankees stadium and I could hear the anger.

Here’s mine and his front. I keep telling him to stop with crap seed and go Kentucky blue grass

057de24d60712dab73e7947a1d9f7941.jpg&key=f35e6310a1e4c5fe9c51957ad7e2c30d811b6f373ca773210bb78cb64c517616

08144c72dd2c1ec0102a018a8712620b.jpg&key=2a490c85a4dc70b41f8142244a5b62ec466f25c98a5485c8ef185616eb5e0570

Am I your neighbor????
I blame my boys who still have legit 1v1 wiffle balls battles out there almost nightly. The back I blame on the dog.
Neither have a sprinkler system and both need to be leveled. My guess is that will be next years tax refund after the pooch passes on...15 year’s olds in July).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

4/19/19: First cut of the year. Anyone else start yet?

The rule here is not before May 1st and not after Oct. 15th no matter how high it gets. Once you start it is a endless battle. My idiot neighbor has cut his twice already.  He loves spending 2-3 hrs. mowing:crazy: and once he really gets into it will mow twice a week.

To each their own but as far as I am concerned it is jut grass and I am not feeding it for sure:no:

And if isn't dry I am not cutting it.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

I could have done mine this morning, but  I did not want to be the first asshole in the neighborhood to mow AND rain  was predicted today...

Sure enough, right now the rain outside sounds like a cow pissing on a flat rock...As soon as it is dry enough, I'll be mowing.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve D said:

The rule here is not before May 1st and not after Oct. 15th no matter how high it gets. Once you start it is a endless battle. My idiot neighbor has cut his twice already.  He loves spending 2-3 hrs. mowing:crazy: and once he really gets into it will mow twice a week.

To each their own but as far as I am concerned it is jut grass and I am not feeding it for sure:no:

Your neighbor is a sick individual..He should be drawn and quartered....

Just now, Pygmy said:

Your neighbor is a sick individual..He should be drawn and quartered....

Trust me if I could legally I would.  He has all the money one could want and the highlight of his week is washing and polishing his John Deer and mowing. He could be traveling, golfing, and even pay to have it done but it must be his niche after a long successful career in the restaurant  business.  Drives me nuts but he seems to be happy. I always said it his way to get away from the wife but I truly believe he loves it.:laugh:

Trust me if I could legally I would.  He has all the money one could want and the highlight of his week is washing and polishing his John Deer and mowing. He could be traveling, golfing, and even pay to have it done but it must be his niche after a long successful career in the restaurant  business.  Drives me nuts but he seems to be happy. I always said it his way to get away from the wife but I truly believe he loves it.:laugh:

I love mowing weeknights. Usually I do 1/2 Thursday night and 1/2 Friday night. All push mower, no rider. I like making different lines, etc.

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

love mowing weeknights. Usually I do 1/2 Thursday night and 1/2 Friday night. All push mower, no rider. I like making different lines, etc.

My neighbor is a "stripper" also. First one way then the other. Ours are all to big to push mow and sometimes wish it was smaller for sure.

My neighbor is a "stripper" also. First one way then the other. Ours are all to big to push mow and sometimes wish it was smaller for sure.

Yea I thought about buying the stripe kit for push mower but that’s more weight to push, and my front yard is sloped so I never bought it. So I’m not striping anywhere close like the pros

12 hours ago, Steve D said:

LOL. He probably thinks you are an idiot too. 

• Like 2