2019 Lawn Thread

BizCT

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I like that! I put the metal in last year but because its so rigid and I have many roots its way higher than I like. So you stake this down every few feet? It says 6 pack, 4'. Is that 24' per $54?

Found the answer

image.png.5241019f96289e6b7aaec26caf7d063e.png

Yes, stake it down and mine sits about 3" under the surface to prevent grass creep.  That is cheaper than what I paid for the stuff I used which came from a landscaper.  Its somewhat flexible and kind of a rubber-ish material so I suppose it will either work over small roots or you may have to trim a tunnel trough it where the root sits.  Put that in 6 years ago too and it still looks new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Yes, stake it down and mine sits about 3" under the surface to prevent grass creep.  That is cheaper than what I paid for the stuff I used which came from a landscaper.  Its somewhat flexible and kind of a rubber-ish material so I suppose it will either work over small roots or you may have to trim a tunnel trough it where the root sits.  Put that in 6 years ago too and it still looks new.

I'm going to do it. I can move that metal edging to the beds around the back of the pool. This is a never ending quest. I almost had concrete edge poured but I know its going to heave up and crack and ill be upset

• Like 1

Oh how I hated mulching and pulling weeds.  Swapped all the mulch for a red stone and now it is a piece of cake.  Stone stays put (haven't had to add any since I put it in 6 years ago) and what limited weeds that grow (not many) can be pulled with two fingers!  So much easier to maintain.

I’ve never pulled a weed in mulch. It keeps the weeds out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To early biz. It's going to fade !!

5 yards of mulch ,that’s a warm up, I get 14 yards ,get it spread in a day, edging the 300 feet or so of inlayed brick around it all is what really sucks .

Too early for what? It always fades. May is for Mulch I’m a weekend early.

14 must suck. I usually only do 35 bags, but need an extra 400sqft this year so decided on the 5 yard delivery. I did 17 wheelbarrows in the rain today. Will golf tomorrow and finish mulch Sunday

I usually wait to memorial  day for 6 yards of mulch and garden planting. I dont think I've seen anyone up this way mulch yet . 

Was at camp today and it was snowing, that sucked but good for cutting firewood. 

Does this count for lawn thread ? I started making a planter box for strawberries. Need netting and dirt still ,strawberries are ready to plant ,raspberry garden should produce fruit this year.
20190427_234133.thumb.jpg.e860f7169aa96b7540fb8be6f5d667ee.jpg

Yes, it counts. Looks good. All landscape and manscape counts.

How many pounds of strawberries do you reasonably expect to get this year?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes, it counts. Looks good. All landscape and manscape counts.

How many pounds of strawberries do you reasonably expect to get this year?

I'm not sure if the plants will produce this year or not , I've never done fruit before either ,i'm not sure how much the yeild changes from a "good" year to a "bad" year. One figure i saw was a family of 5 would need to 30-35 plants ,the three of us will have 24 plants. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure if the plants will produce this year or not , I've never done fruit before either ,i'm not sure how much the yeild changes from a "good" year to a "bad" year. One figure i saw was a family of 5 would need to 30-35 plants ,the three of us will have 24 plants. 

I’ve done strawberries before....it’s feast or famine it seems.one year we were flooded and the next we got squat so pulled them.

7 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Does this count for lawn thread ? I started making a planter box for strawberries. Need netting and dirt still ,strawberries are ready to plant ,raspberry garden should produce fruit this year.

20190427_234133.jpg

Looks great. Glad to see you did not us PT lumber!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Looks great. Glad to see you did not us PT lumber!

Why bugs?   I used PT lumber on our planter boxes.   All flowers (mostly roses) and other plants but does the PT leach into soil and harm fruits and veggies?

Edit:   Thanks for the heads up.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/are-pressure-treated-woods-safe-in-garden-beds

Edited by moog5050

First cut is in the books. Couldn’t cut the entire thing because some spots are still wet and of course my POS Husqvarna rider has 2 new mechanical issues. One I just rigged something up until I can get the replacement part. af62e0017ed7851dbeced4ad0d5d6e6a.jpg

First cut is in the books. Couldn’t cut the entire thing because some spots are still wet and of course my POS Husqvarna rider has 2 new mechanical issues. One I just rigged something up until I can get the replacement part. af62e0017ed7851dbeced4ad0d5d6e6a.jpg&key=0c2402f31a42b51f997bc6c89c6457d5fb7341019464653f361f1537ac42643d

Nice. Where’s the buck? Thought for sure you would put it on that pine when working outside..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Why bugs?   I used PT lumber on our planter boxes.   All flowers (mostly roses) and other plants but does the PT leach into soil and harm fruits and veggies?

Edit:   Thanks for the heads up.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/are-pressure-treated-woods-safe-in-garden-beds

When growing edible plants the chemicals in the PT wood can leach out into the soil and be absorbed by the edibles. NBD with ornamentals though.