Daughter taking NYS hunter education class

sodfather

So my 12 year old is taking the hunter Education class next Saturday. I register her a couple days ago and the class is filled up already. Crazy thing I remember when I took mine at 14 and don’t remember a homework packet. I’m not opposed to this at all for the record.. I was reading the questions and can honestly say I’m not %100 positive on some of the questions. So I started to think how many of us would ace this test not looking at the study guide. I’m actually excited to sit with her next week as I remember my dad sitting in mine. 

• Like 9

I remember trying to take mine at the Tonawanda sportsman club many years ago , there was such a long line that one guy passed a notebook along for people to sign in the order they showed up . Well some members kids would not have gotten in so they did a "lottery" drawing. I was like 8th in line and didnt get in. I had to call my dad to come back and pick me up , i'll never forget the sight of that burnout he left in the parking lot out into the street , i thought he was going to walk inside and kill someone. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sitting through the class with my grandson, set me on the course of becoming an instructor myself. There is a need for more. Our class next Saturday, filled very quickly. During our preclass meeting on Thursday, we decided to open five more spots. They have since been filled as well.

So cool you and your daughter will be attending together sodfather! Wishing you two a lifetime of hunting memories!!!

• Like 3

Tomorrow morning is the day, daughter completed the 9 chapters and the 5 page homework packet. I must say it’s been enjoyable going back to my hunting roots and some of the minor safety precautions that are easily overlooked. Example , I don’t think I ever had a hunting plan that I left at home in case I got lost or something happened to me. Can’t wait for the morning I’m sure she will do fine but she is extremely nervous 

• Like 8

Good luck to your daughter. Be sure to post that perfect score I’m sure she will get.

I took mine at the DEC summer camp many years ago. Doing it there was pretty cool because you got to do some hands on learning in addition to the classroom stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My second at work is teaching hunter ed today in Oneida.  He's had people come up all the way from NYC before to get into a class.  He was saying something about region 7 having the most classes every year.  He only does a couple a year but does a lot of pistol classes. 

Good luck to your daughter and always good to hear of kids taking the classes.  

10 hours ago, sodfather said:

Example , I don’t think I ever had a hunting plan that I left at home in case I got lost or something happened to me.

I’ve mentioned this before , I have a screen shot of my spot with the stands numbered , tell the Mrs. which one I’ll be in, text her when I’m back at Truck .

If I fail to text she’ll call, no answer ,in a week or maybe two she’ll send help , depending if there’s any bugs in the house that need killing or a laundry basket to carry downstairs.

• Haha 1

It was a long day 8am-4:30 of sitting in a room especially for her age I think but she did it. Only got 3 wrong on the 50 question test. Was shocked that out of 30 taking the class that there was only 7 kids.  The instructors were great and to take that much time out of a Saturday for free is even greater. 

496E0ECB-BFA3-45AA-A416-7DF10C075473.jpeg

150ECD00-FDB3-44FB-9792-D03A01450CD6.jpeg

Edited by sodfather
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Wow only 7.kids in that class? So 23 adults? Approximately age of remainder? Men/ women? Just kind of interested to see who is replacing our numbers

Yea, strange and disturbing ratio.

WE have work to do troops!!

16 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Wow only 7.kids in that class? So 23 adults? Approximately age of remainder? Men/ women? Just kind of interested to see who is replacing our numbers

Hey Greg ya there was 3 females one was probably mid 40’s and other two were low 20’s girls. Then the men were %70 in there 25-35 age range and the remaining were age of 50-60 years old. The instructors flat out asked why are you here at this age? They just said that they’ve always wanted to hunt just never had someone to go with or enjoy with. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yea, strange and disturbing ratio.

WE have work to do troops!!

Larry, this is just my opinion but I think kids are scared or not responsible enough. They drill into about safety and rightfully so... But I think it scares kids thinking if I don’t touch it then nothing bad will happen ( most of the time ). It’s not a video game there’s no eraser so that scares people.  My daughter shot a gun before but when she shot today she said she was terrified.... 

Edited by sodfather