6 more weeks

Rattler

I took my 8 point to the taxidermist the day before Thanksgiving. 

Called him yesterday to get an estimated completion date.  I was told 6 more weeks. 

He's a great taxidermist who does excellent work and he said he was trying to take less each year, but it's not happening.  Can't wait to get it back though.

• Like 6

As I recall, that was a beautiful eight point. Can't wait to see the finished mount, when done!

Good taxidermy work can take up to a year. Especially if they take in more than they planned to. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

• Like 2

I called my guy to give him my cell number since I canceled my home phone and he is still in Florida.  But he told me prob June when I dropped it off. Def looking forward to it too.  My first mount. Well deer anyway. 

I also went with a semi sneak but no turn. It's going on a middle wall in living room so thought that pose would work best.  Deer was looking away from me when I shot him so didn't go with that pose. Lol. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

It turned out very good.   I remember your description  of the awesome hunt up in the big woods.   Those are my favorite type of racks, having good overall symmetry, yet plenty of character.  I like the board on the back also, you don't see that too much any more.  

• Like 1

A funny side note about the taxist this year.  When I went to pick it up, the daughter brought out the wrong mount.  When I said it was not my deer, she said her father's handwriting and numbers were so bad she couldn't read the number right.  I was #3441 and she had #3471 in her hands.

A buddy nearby told me a friend of his used the same guy and picked up a mount he is sure isn't his, but the taxists said it was.  He keeps looking at his pics and at the mount and swears it's the wrong one.  LOL!  I told him what happened to me and advised him to go back.  Someone has his, or it's still in the shop.  Can't imagine what a mess that would be for the hunters.  The guy needs to improve his handwriting to fix this problem.  Perhaps putting a name on the claim check would be a good idea too.

A funny side note about the taxist this year.  When I went to pick it up, the daughter brought out the wrong mount.  When I said it was not my deer, she said her father's handwriting and numbers were so bad she couldn't read the number right.  I was #3441 and she had #3471 in her hands.
A buddy nearby told me a friend of his used the same guy and picked up a mount he is sure isn't his, but the taxists said it was.  He keeps looking at his pics and at the mount and swears it's the wrong one.  LOL!  I told him what happened to me and advised him to go back.  Someone has his, or it's still in the shop.  Can't imagine what a mess that would be for the hunters.  The guy needs to improve his handwriting to fix this problem.  Perhaps putting a name on the claim check would be a good idea too.

If I wrote it you’d have gotten back a wild boar, my handwriting is an embarrassment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rattler said:

I have always thought a mount should have the plaque on it.  I'm old school like that.  Heck, it was only $40 more.

That mount of your's would look good with or without a plaque.  My dad is retired, and really into woodworking.  He made be a beautiful black walnut plaque to use on the shoulder mount of my first antlered buck (a six-pointer with the seventh point busted off).   The plaque really improved the looks of that one, which I had put together myself, using an old cape that a buddy gave me.   His grandfather's large shoulder mount was re-mounted, on a cape much better sized for the big rack.  The old cape fit much better on my 6-point, but still looked a bit shoddy, before I put it on the plaque.   

I only have one other shoulder mount that is on a plaque.  It was done by an old taxidermist who always went with the traditional, facing straight, on a plaque style.   He was also very cheap (I believe it was $125 back around 1990), but he always took around (2) years to complete the job.   I did not care that much how it looked, or how long it took, since this buck was killed by a motorist.  The huge-bodied, non-typical 12 point totaled the car.  A friend on the town highway crew got me the buck (which still yielded almost a hundred pounds of boneless meat, after trimming off the "road damage".).  

It seemed a shame not to have that big rack mounted, especially back before the wife and kids when I had a bit more spare change, and I knew of a guy who would do it for $ 125.    A few years later, my girlfriend was living in a loft apartment that was done up in the old English style, with the white plaster walls, dark wood beams, and cathedral ceilings.   I gave her that mount for a birthday present, and it looked real good up on that wall (she was quite awesome looking herself).   It looked a lot better there all alone, up on that high wall, than it does today on the wall of our house flanked by a few other no-plaque shoulder mounts.   It might be that "birthday present" that convinced her to say "yes" when I asked her to marry, so I would say that I definitely got my $ 125 worth.              

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It seemed a shame not to have that big rack mounted, especially back before the wife and kids when I had a bit more spare change, and I knew of a guy who would do it for $ 125.    A few years later, my girlfriend was living in a loft apartment that was done up in the old English style, with the white plaster walls, dark wood beams, and cathedral ceilings.   I gave her that mount for a birthday present, and it looked real good up on that wall (she was quite awesome looking herself).   It looked a lot better there all alone, up on that high wall, than it does today on the wall of our house flanked by a few other no-plaque shoulder mounts.   It might be that "birthday present" that convinced her to say "yes" when I asked her to marry, so I would say that I definitely got my $ 125 worth.              

It currently costs my twice that amount in associated supply costs to mount my own ($110 alone to get a cape tanned)...lol

• Like 1

It currently costs my twice that amount in associated supply costs to mount my own ($110 alone to get a cape tanned)...lol

It bet you don’t get 75# of meat from a BB either- clearly you are doing something wrong!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

It bet you don’t get 75# of meat from a BB either- clearly you are doing something wrong!!!!

I butcher my own deer, a good sized doe yields 40-45# of meat depending on where it was shot. Although, those fabled 200# dressed does may give you a little more...;).

• Like 1

I butcher my own deer, a good sized doe yields 40-45# of meat depending on where it was shot. Although, those fabled 200# dressed does may give you a little more...;).

We have some “special” butchers here!

8 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Back in the day, most taxidermists tanned their own and many made their own forms.  That had to keep their costs down a bit.  It probably did not do much for their health and longevity, which is why it is a good idea to sub that stuff out.

7 hours ago, crappyice said:

CrossbowBBchestgirth.jpg.8ae2810b002b113311da0b7f1eee6825.jpg

This hundred pound (conservative estimate based on PA chest girth chart) bb made about 50  pounds of boneless meat.   Certainly it was one of the largest of the several dozen bb's that we have been blessed with thru the years. Generally, I get a lower percentage of body weight in boneless meat from does, because they have a much higher percentage of fat, and I try to trim most of that away.   It is well worth the extra time and effort to get rid of that crap, because it sticks to the roof of your mouth while eating, taking much of the pleasure out of the dining experience.   

CrossbowBBchestgirth.jpg.8ae2810b002b113311da0b7f1eee6825.jpg
This hundred pound (conservative estimate based on PA chest girth chart) bb made about 50  pounds of boneless meat.   Certainly it was one of the largest of the several dozen bb's that we have been blessed with thru the years. Generally, I get a lower percentage of body weight in boneless meat from does, because they have a much higher percentage of fat, and I try to trim most of that away.   It is well worth the extra time and effort to get rid of that crap, because it sticks to the roof of your mouth while eating, taking much of the pleasure out of the dining experience.   
That buck must have had nuts the size of grapefruits in order to break the 75lb mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 6:10 AM, Rattler said:

I've seen hunters get back the buck they shot and swear it isn't their buck.. mind swelling is most likely the cause.. name and number and tag numbers are helpful as well.