AR 15 charging issue

Nomad

So I got my first AR, really enjoy shooting it ,however there is one issue I can’t figure out . It has a ten round magazine that is “ locked in place “, so I have to top load it, if I load ten rounds I can’t pull back the charging handle ,it doesn’t move at all, if I remove one round ,close the gun it charges with ease . Fires fine not one issue with feeding or ejection .

Ideas ?

thanks 

Probably the spring in the mag has too much tension.  I have a 10rd mag that is reduced to 5 by a compressed spring for hunting and it only works with 4 rounds because the mag spring tension is too much.  Swap the mag or just the spring and I bet it will work with 10.  We can try it with one I have sitting around larry.  I don't have a 300 but I think it just uses a standard 223 mag.

• Like 2

Spring tension makes sense, it’s hard to even close upper with ten loaded . I left it loaded with ten rounds, to see if that would compress it a bit , no luck . I emailed maker but they’re  closed today . 

Mag can’t come out with out power tools, I cloud swap springs, perhaps I can get them to send me one .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Spring tension makes sense, it’s hard to even close upper with ten loaded . I left it loaded with ten rounds, to see if that would compress it a bit , no luck . I emailed maker but they’re  closed today . 

Mag can’t come out with out power tools, I cloud swap springs, perhaps I can get them to send me one .

As I think about it, if its a 223 mag, the 300 BO may not fit 10.  For example, my 458 which uses 223 mags only fits 6 or 7 in the mag.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

As I think about it, if its a 223 mag, the 300 BO may not fit 10.  For example, my 458 which uses 223 mags only fits 6 or 7 in the mag.

the 300Blackout is the same casing as the 223 Remington. Your 458 isn't. basically for the 458 it used the 5.56 mag and single stacks the 458 where the 5.56 is stagger stacked in there. I am betting that over time the spring will relax a bit. If you really wanted 10 in the gun Larry could load 9, rack a round,  open action and top load another? I'd probably just order the BF-10 speed loader and be done with it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

the 300Blackout is the same casing as the 223 Remington. Your 458 isn't. basically for the 458 it used the 5.56 mag and single stacks the 458 where the 5.56 is stagger stacked in there. I am betting that over time the spring will relax a bit. If you really wanted 10 in the gun Larry could load 9, rack a round,  open action and top load another? I'd probably just order the BF-10 speed loader and be done with it. 

I wasn't sure on the casing.  So with that said, probably spring tension.  I agree that it would not make a difference to me if I could only load 9, but Larry may need those 10 shots on a deer.  lol

• Like 1

Ok. just to totally derail the thread let me run this one by you guys.  This is 458 SOCOM reference. NY Safe act bans high capacity magazines. (over 10 rounds). 458 SOCOM feed through a standard AR magazine. In a normal 30 round AR mag you can only place 10,  458 SOCOM rounds. Does that mean that the 30 round mags are really legal in NY as long as I don't place 5.56 in the mag?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Ok. just to totally derail the thread let me run this one by you guys.  This is 458 SOCOM reference. NY Safe act bans high capacity magazines. (over 10 rounds). 458 SOCOM feed through a standard AR magazine. In a normal 30 round AR mag you can only place 10,  458 SOCOM rounds. Does that mean that the 30 round mags are really legal in NY as long as I don't place 5.56 in the mag?

Mag itself is illegal since its made for 223 and allows for more than 10rds.  Now if you call it a 458 mag only and it was designed not to work with 223, maybe that would be a different story.

Now I need to check how many 458 rounds fit in the 10rd 223 mag.  I thought it was 6 or 7 but if 30rd only fits 10, I could be off.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Mag itself is illegal since its made for 223 and allows for more than 10rds.  Now if you call it a 458 mag only and it was designed not to work with 223, maybe that would be a different story.

As far as I know every 450Socom mag will work with the 5.56, that was one of the guidelines on the cartridge development. They do make them engraved with 458 SOCOM on them though. Boy if we were only in a state with liberties. I would love one of those with a suppressor. 

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I wasn't sure on the casing.  So with that said, probably spring tension.  I agree that it would not make a difference to me if I could only load 9, but Larry may need those 10 shots on a deer.  lol

No plan to tote it in the deer woods . After I got a call from the makers , we had a nice chat, and he gave me some instructions on what I could do if I moved to a free state .

I much prefer to load up a stack of mags at my leisure, and bring them when I shoot, over this top loading at my range .

I'll agree that it's the spring compression/strength. It's a new spring. Clipping half of a coil off the bottom of the spring would probably do it. BTDT.

Mag springs won't "relax" over time just being loaded. They need to be worked to lighten up. Shoot the crap out of it for the next year and it'll probably handle ten without a problem. Just my experience. If you clip the spring you may find that the last round won't feed in a few years.

• Like 1

Just now, Stay at home Nomad said:

No plan to tote it in the deer woods . After I got a call from the makers , we had a nice chat, and he gave me some instructions on what I could do if I moved to a free state .

I much prefer to load up a stack of mags at my leisure, and bring them when I shoot, over this top loading at my range .

TN calls! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

https://www.bearflagdefense.com/pages/bf-10

Moog has this. Take it for a test drive  on the blackout. I would imagine it will work

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Moog has this. Take it for a test drive  on the blackout. I would imagine it will work

Larry has one - I think he said it didn't work well.  They are molded specifically for 223 and I suspect the 30 cal is a bit to large for the mold even if the casing is the same size.  The BF loader doesn't work for me with 6.8 but the one by the other manufacturer does probably because its not as sturdy and flexes more.

Edited by moog5050

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Actually I have two, royal pita . Push as hard as my little hands can, and it loads 6 rounds of 10 . Probably due to the spring again .

Package on the way, problem will be moot shortly .