Youth baseball thread

Zag

35 minutes ago, Zag said:

Yeah your right, there was for me to play jv football as an 8th grader.

Did the nurse find nuts?

yes i was proud to show my pubes. I got 4/5 score. I didn't have enough pubes to get a 5, but they were black enough to give me a 4

• Like 1

13 hours ago, crappyice said:

Like everything else ...it depends.
-what does your kid want/need? Does he need a year of being “the Bug Dawg” or another year of “playing up” to scrap for a spot”. Playing school ball with his friends, Reps in the field, time on the mound in big games, and at bats matter the most to keeping my kid motivated and improving through middle school.
-What’s the school program like-strong and competitive? Political? Policies of playing older kids over more talented?
- How’s the modified program? Take everyone or cuts? Solid coaching or the district teacher who doesn’t really care?

Talk to the varsity coach and get a sense of his thoughts of the future of the program and where your kids fits in that mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked with his travel coach and said most of the kids on his team could make jv, might not get a ton of reps but gains more experience. Im not worried about reps as he’ll be playing alot of ball with his other teams. Im gonna have my PR rep (my wife) call the JV coach and see if they will even look at a 7th grader. Will see what happens!

I talked with his travel coach and said most of the kids on his team could make jv, might not get a ton of reps but gains more experience. Im not worried about reps as he’ll be playing alot of ball with his other teams. Im gonna have my PR rep (my wife) call the JV coach and see if they will even look at a 7th grader. Will see what happens!

I would speak with the school coach...travel coaches have their program (and bank account) in mind over your kid.

57 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I would speak with the school coach...travel coaches have their program (and bank account) in mind over your kid.

I hear that a lot but we must have found the right one, coach calls it as he sees it (isnt pd or the owner) and the overall program cost is a little over a grand. 

So school baseball is back and I heard tryouts are going to be coming soon. My son is 12, 13 the end of May and in 7th grade. Obviously modified is the 1st option 7-8 graders. Option 2 is JV. Am I nuts to have him try out for Jv? He is 2nd youngest on his 13u team and did really well in the jump to the bigger fields and stat wise did really well. He’s about 5”10 and 120 of muscle. [mention=14]NYBowhunter[/mention] [mention=327]crappyice[/mention] you too might have some good advice for me.

Don’t take this the wrong way.... your kid is not going to be a professional baseball player. Have him play modified. He will get more reps, have more fun, and be the Big man and enjoy being a stud.

Let’s not forget as much as you would enjoy him playing JV this is for HIM.

In my high school we didn’t have JV for football just varsity and modified. I was asked to play varsity in 9th grade and even practiced with them for the summer. In the end I decided to play the season on modified and I’m glad I did. It was the most fun I had in all my years playing football. I ate those smaller 7th and 8th graders for lunch

• Like 2

Don’t take this the wrong way.... your kid is not going to be a professional baseball player. Have him play modified. He will get more reps, have more fun, and be the Big man and enjoy being a stud.

Let’s not forget as much as you would enjoy him playing JV this is for HIM.

In my high school we didn’t have JV for football just varsity and modified. I was asked to play varsity in 9th grade and even practiced with them for the summer. In the end I decided to play the season on modified and I’m glad I did. It was the most fun I had in all my years playing football. I ate those smaller 7th and 8th graders for lunch

What about breakfast and/or dinner? Did you eat box or other kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:07 PM, crappyice said:

Check this kid out

My boys played against him during their 12u and 13u...season...man among children.

My sons team played against Nazier this past fall, his velo off the bump was up to 96 mph, insane for a 16yr. Old, he recently committed to Miami university.

• Like 1

Can't wait to get started, looks like High School ball may start up soon, first HS  practice tomorrow. My  16yr. old is very excited, hes been working hard during the winter and up thru now with his travel team. He committed to a national team so alot of traveling nationally in the near future, end of May we head to Florida for a few days with the travel team, hopefully some spring HS ball then in the summer is alot of traveling, need to make sure I save alot of my vacation time..lol.. there's one tourney in Georgia in June and  that alone is like 6 days of ball.

Also excited for my 12 yr. old (another lefty) starts ball this Saturday and my daughter starts softball, my heads spinning already., but they all love it so gotta make it work.

Pics from last weekends scrimmage, wish I could post a video, his slider is so filthy..lol

Anybody else getting the kids out on the field?

Screenshot_20210406-182255_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-182047_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-182156_Video Player.jpg

• Like 2

Can't wait to get started, looks like High School ball may start up soon, first HS  practice tomorrow. My  16yr. old is very excited, hes been working hard during the winter and up thru now with his travel team. He committed to a national team so alot of traveling nationally in the near future, end of May we head to Florida for a few days with the travel team, hopefully some spring HS ball then in the summer is alot of traveling, need to make sure I save alot of my vacation time..lol.. there's one tourney in Georgia in June and  that alone is like 6 days of ball.
Also excited for my 12 yr. old (another lefty) starts ball this Saturday and my daughter starts softball, my heads spinning already., but they all love it so gotta make it work.
Pics from last weekends scrimmage, wish I could post a video, his slider is so filthy..lol
1189878918_Screenshot_20210406-182255_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.9531671e5cd15599dfe3e00ece6f19a3.jpg
98554941_Screenshot_20210406-182047_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.e7d7a992e4565a75607c5f01a80441dc.jpg
1525840707_Screenshot_20210406-182156_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.edc69a248f4dc3856235d315e3416d45.jpg

Love the high knee kick...so intimidating for the batter.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:52 PM, Zag said:

So school baseball is back and I heard tryouts are going to be coming soon. My son is 12, 13 the end of May and in 7th grade. Obviously modified is the 1st option 7-8 graders. Option 2 is JV. Am I nuts to have him try out for Jv? He is 2nd youngest on his 13u team and did really well in the jump to the bigger fields and stat wise did really well. He’s about 5”10 and 120 of muscle. @NYBowhunter @crappyice you too might have some good advice for me.

Not nuts at all,  but I think as parents we need to be realistic, atleast my goal is to use sports as a stepping stone to get my kids foot into a college (I'm not even concerned with MLB),  sports help in getting a kid a faster look especially if they are gifted in a sport. Just a side note if he plans on going to college make sure his grades are priority as there's very little sports scholarship money and thats only if he gets into a d1 or d2 school, d3 schools offer no sports scholarship. All the money to be had for all 3 tiers is academic money (grades are key).  Having said that my 16yr. old has always played up from when he was young. He tried out for varsity in HS as a freshman (his HS has both a jv and varsity program) and made the team and was a starting pitcher as a freshman and most  times was facing kids 3 to 4 years older and loved it and had loads of fun and is a stud among kids much older then him. If a kid has natural talent and is gifted it makes no sense to beat up on kids that are not on the same level, does absolutely nothing to help him get better. He needs to be around kids of his equal or better to motivate him. Again, each kid is different, but if he is talented no reason why he can't compete at a higher level. Remember from this point on baseball is more a mental game, if he handles that well he's in good shape.

Edited by NYBowhunter
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

Screenshot_20210406-182255_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-182047_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-182156_Video Player.jpg

What national team is he on? Sounds like a fun time this summer!! GL

So Cooperstown decided to really change their guidelines for this summer. Rumor was it was going to only allow NY teams and barricks were off the table fine by me. 2 days ago they announced any kid 12 and up must be fully vaccinated to participate as well as parents and coaches. So basically were telling them to stick their fields far far far up their u know what. NY is such a joke when it comes to covid. I can attend a 100% capacity mlb game in TX with no masks but we all have to be vaccinated. Honestly i dont know if i even want my very health 12yr old taking it once ones available. Cooperstowns a joke.

So Cooperstown decided to really change their guidelines for this summer. Rumor was it was going to only allow NY teams and barricks were off the table fine by me. 2 days ago they announced any kid 12 and up must be fully vaccinated to participate as well as parents and coaches. So basically were telling them to stick their fields far far far up their u know what. NY is such a joke when it comes to covid. I can attend a 100% capacity mlb game in TX with no masks but we all have to be vaccinated. Honestly i dont know if i even want my very health 12yr old taking it once ones available. Cooperstowns a joke.

That’s terrible. Isn’t it 16+ only?

57 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That’s terrible. Isn’t it 16+ only?

Yep it is! So the team get $18,000 of the $22k back if we cancel and they apply the $4 to the next yrs total due. Now we gotta fight to get the rest back. I haven’t looked into the house rental deposit but im guessing thats a loss as well. Grrr