Youth baseball thread

Zag

So Cooperstown decided to really change their guidelines for this summer. Rumor was it was going to only allow NY teams and barricks were off the table fine by me. 2 days ago they announced any kid 12 and up must be fully vaccinated to participate as well as parents and coaches. So basically were telling them to stick their fields far far far up their u know what. NY is such a joke when it comes to covid. I can attend a 100% capacity mlb game in TX with no masks but we all have to be vaccinated. Honestly i dont know if i even want my very health 12yr old taking it once ones available. Cooperstowns a joke.

So because Texas through all caution to the wind you think everyone else should act like idiots too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Chef said:

So because Texas through all caution to the wind you think everyone else should act like idiots too?

Dude take your covid paranoia and piss off. 

• Like 3

Here is my unbiased opinion on COVID-19. We have over 104 million adults with at least one shot.  Lets assume that everyone gets the second shot.  So for arguments sake 104 million people are vaccinated as of today.   That’s basically somewhere around 1/4-1/3 of our total population population. Then we add in the people who had covid and antibodies. That increases our numbers too.  Children are not getting vaccinated.  Age 14 and under is about 60 million. We are vaccinating millions of adults per day here.  As time goes on people who were originally hesitant to get the vax for whatever their reason is, see that people are just fine, might even start getting it.  Science tells us that being outdoors almost eliminates getting it unless someone is coughing in your mouth.  Soon enough we will be at over 50% of our adult population vaccinated and that number will keep climbing by the day.  Our at risk citizens have all been vaccinated and if they haven't at this point it was a personal choice of theirs, barring a unique health situation.  I had covid, been vaccinated, and I have taken covid pretty seriously with my personal decisions.  At some point we need to move forward and I look at other states and wonder what we are waiting for in NY and as a country. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Here is my unbiased opinion on COVID-19. We have over 104 million adults with at least one shot.  Lets assume that everyone gets the second shot.  So for arguments sake 104 million people are vaccinated as of today.   That’s basically somewhere around 1/4-1/3 of our total population population. Then we add in the people who had covid and antibodies. That increases our numbers too.  Children are not getting vaccinated.  Age 14 and under is about 60 million. We are vaccinating millions of adults per day here.  As time goes on people who were originally hesitant to get the vax for whatever their reason is, see that people are just fine, might even start getting it.  Science tells us that being outdoors almost eliminates getting it unless someone is coughing in your mouth.  Soon enough we will be at over 50% of our adult population vaccinated and that number will keep climbing by the day.  Our at risk citizens have all been vaccinated and if they haven't at this point it was a personal choice of theirs, barring a unique health situation.  I had covid, been vaccinated, and I have taken covid pretty seriously with my personal decisions.  At some point we need to move forward and I look at other states and wonder what we are waiting for in NY and as a country. 

Another huge factor is the nice weather is coming ,the virus won't live in sunlight and vitamin D deficiency season is almost over. Let the kids play some damn baseball outside in the sun for cripe sake. 

• Like 2

I think Texas is likely experiencing herd immunity, which is great. nY will get there as long as don’t lock down again.

My wife and my families are pretty small. We got 12 close adults and 2 babies.

We got 4 prior cases of covid, 4 vaccinated, and 2 babies. So we got 10/12 herd immunity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

22 hours ago, Zag said:

So Cooperstown decided to really change their guidelines for this summer. Rumor was it was going to only allow NY teams and barricks were off the table fine by me. 2 days ago they announced any kid 12 and up must be fully vaccinated to participate as well as parents and coaches. So basically were telling them to stick their fields far far far up their u know what. NY is such a joke when it comes to covid. I can attend a 100% capacity mlb game in TX with no masks but we all have to be vaccinated. Honestly i dont know if i even want my very health 12yr old taking it once ones available. Cooperstowns a joke.

My son is going to Cooperstown “All Star Village” this year too.  I spoke to the rep for All Star village and she said she has no idea why Dreams Park changed their guidelines.  She assured me that the two sites are not affiliated and under no circumstances would they be enforcing those guidelines.  Might not be too late to rebook to All Star Village.  

Yep it is! So the team get $18,000 of the $22k back if we cancel and they apply the $4 to the next yrs total due. Now we gotta fight to get the rest back. I haven’t looked into the house rental deposit but im guessing thats a loss as well. Grrr
Can someone enlighten me on what costs 22,000.00 for youth baseball at Cooperstown? My boys are still young so I am not in the loop yet.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Pav2704 said:

My son is going to Cooperstown “All Star Village” this year too.  I spoke to the rep for All Star village and she said she has no idea why Dreams Park changed their guidelines.  She assured me that the two sites are not affiliated and under no circumstances would they be enforcing those guidelines.  Might not be too late to rebook to All Star Village.  

Ahh yes thanks, I had heard there was another park not to far away but I couldn’t recall the name. Unfortunately we’re already heading out of state for a different tournament to spend our money!! NY suck

Just now, mlammerhirt said:

Can someone enlighten me on what costs 22,000.00 for youth baseball at Cooperstown? My boys are still young so I am not in the loop yet.

Right!!! Other than they house the kids the entire time im not really sure. It’s honestly ridiculous. 

Not sure where $22,000 came from. Our number was $900 per kid for a week of baseball- including meals , lodging, uniforms, laundry through the week and a once in a lifetime experience. They also have skills collections for the boys, practice cages and fields, and wiffleball all day while you wait.
One of the fondest memories of my boys’ baseball experiences. 6 games of pool play then every team makes the “playoff” bracket. It takes 13 wins to be crowned champions. Kids from all around the county and different countries (well not so much this year) and kids are left to be kids(no parents [unless coach] in “players only” barracks.

It makes perfect sense for them to require the shot for this event to happen...or don’t allow it to happen at all. There are 1,500 12 years old and 300 coaches and the entire staff there from around the county living there. ZERO chance of it not spreading WHEN it arrives on campus.
Their refund policy leaves a lot to be desired for sure and it sucks-I get it. But you are given AN option.

Sorry man

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Not sure where $22,000 came from. Our number was $900 per kid for a week of baseball- including meals , lodging, uniforms, laundry through the week and a once in a lifetime experience. They also have skills collections for the boys, practice cages and fields, and wiffleball all day while you wait.
One of the fondest memories of my boys’ baseball experiences. 6 games of pool play then every team makes the “playoff” bracket. It takes 13 wins to be crowned champions. Kids from all around the county and different countries (well not so much this year) and kids are left to be kids(no parents [unless coach] in “players only” barracks.

It makes perfect sense for them to require the shot for this event to happen...or don’t allow it to happen at all. There are 1,500 12 years old and 300 coaches and the entire staff there from around the county living there. ZERO chance of it not spreading WHEN it arrives on campus.
Their refund policy leaves a lot to be desired for sure and it sucks-I get it. But you are given AN option.

Sorry man

Thanks, im more annoyed with what the hell their doing than anything else. So you have to pay per kid plus per coach has a cost. I was told our team cost was 22k. 

Thanks, im more annoyed with what the hell their doing than anything else. So you have to pay per kid plus per coach has a cost. I was told our team cost was 22k. 

22K per team..13-15 players? 3 coaches? You also need to bring and umpire (or have them find you a local umpire-extra cost).....the $900 was what our program requested per kid. Think we did some fund raising to get out per kid cost “down”
I have twins that went and I was a coach....would do it again in a heartbeat!!’

• Like 1

People forget a young Biz played at DreamsPark in 1996, the inaugural year. Things weren’t quite complete yet then but it was still awesome to hang out with kids from the around the world for a week.

Every team had to use Dreams Park issued bats. They were green aluminum and kept breaking. It was scary. I think the following year they people bring their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well its about to get crazy until aug. Sons going to be on 4 teams, 2 of them will be limited appearances. Town ball is starting soon and this is his final yr of eligibility plus modified baseball starts in a couple weeks so those two will lead things off into the first part of June. Then the travel team (13u) kicks into full swing along with some 12u appearances within the same org. Teams already had almost 60 practices since last November!  Looking forward to the chaos!

Just curious if anyone else’s kids are playing local little league or is baseball just dying a slow death!!!
My buddy just took his 5 year old to Dicks (bad but the only option by us!!!) and loaded him up-first glove, bat, batting gloves!!!! I miss that crap!!!

• Like 1

Well its about to get crazy until aug. Sons going to be on 4 teams, 2 of them will be limited appearances. Town ball is starting soon and this is his final yr of eligibility plus modified baseball starts in a couple weeks so those two will lead things off into the first part of June. Then the travel team (13u) kicks into full swing along with some 12u appearances within the same org. Teams already had almost 60 practices since last November!  Looking forward to the chaos!

I know you don’t value my opinion but make sure you don’t burn the kid out. 4 teams between now and august is a lot... just remember it’s supposed to be fun.

My boys are 5 and 7 and will be playing on a local house league coach pitch team together this summer that a buddy and I are coaching.
More of a getting to know the basics but my guys love every minute of it.
I can't wait till we get started in the next few weeks. My boys spend every waking minute outside if it isn't raining, so they are pumped to start seeing their buddies a bunch over the next couple of months.

• Like 3

Just curious if anyone else’s kids are playing local little league or is baseball just dying a slow death!!!
My buddy just took his 5 year old to Dicks (bad but the only option by us!!!) and loaded him up-first glove, bat, batting gloves!!!! I miss that crap!!!

I don’t know what it was like before but my small home town has 2 girls house softball teams in the 8U category. 8U boys looks like 2 teams as well. We will travel to other local towns as far as 30-35 min away to play games.

I know the larger Towns just outside of Buffalo have larger programs and don’t have to travel to neighboring towns to play games.

Second outside practice is tonight. I enjoy tagging along and watching kids be kids.

• Like 3

My boys are 5 and 7 and will be playing on a local house league coach pitch team together this summer that a buddy and I are coaching.
More of a getting to know the basics but my guys love every minute of it.
I can't wait till we get started in the next few weeks. My boys spend every waking minute outside if it isn't raining, so they are pumped to start seeing their buddies a bunch over the next couple of months.

LFG!!! That’s what I’m talking about!!!! So great to have two kids who like playing together- not only are they getting better, they are figuring out shit themselves...and then you can come in a harass them when you can!!!!! Enjoy that time!!!!
My 16 year old twins still have wiffle ball battles on the front lawn when their schedules free up simultaneously-Mr. Bob (old dude across the street) will stand in his front door and watch like he’s at Yankee stadium!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, crappyice said:

LFG!!! That’s what I’m talking about!!!! So great to have two kids who like playing together- not only are they getting better, they are figuring out shit themselves...and then you can come in a harass them when you can!!!!! Enjoy that time!!!!
My 16 year old twins still have wiffle ball battles on the front lawn when their schedules free up simultaneously-Mr. Bob (old dude across the street) will stand in his front door and watch like he’s at Yankee stadium!

Grew up playing wiffle ball against very good neighbor kid. We had epic games and truth be told it made me a far better hitter and pitcher.  Would love to still play wiffle ball it’s the best if you’ve really played it competitively 

I don’t know what it was like before but my small home town has 2 girls house softball teams in the 8U category. 8U boys looks like 2 teams as well. We will travel to other local towns as far as 30-35 min away to play games.

I know the larger Towns just outside of Buffalo have larger programs and don’t have to travel to neighboring towns to play games.

Second outside practice is tonight. I enjoy tagging along and watching kids be kids.

We are very fortunate to have a rich history in our community with youth baseball. My boys future HS was sectional Champs in 2019 and all those players came up through our youth leagues. I have been told we'll over a 100 kids tryout for the varsity team and they keep around 18.

I have read your posts for a few years now about your boys...and can't wait for my boys to hopefully go through the same experiences. They beg to play catch, or for my wife or I to throw BP....and we can't get enough of it. There's probably a 1000 things that I need to get done or be doing....but they can wait..like most have said...blink your eyes and they are 18 a headed their own way in life.

• Like 1