Youth baseball thread

Zag

• 4 weeks later...

First Varsity High School game of the season yesterday and my boy starts, goes 4 innings strong with 7Ks off the bump to get a big first game win 5 to 3. Just so overly impressed with the talent on both teams, get to this stage there's no slouching,  all kids can play extremely well, especially in a Varsity triple A division. Give every single one of those boys, parents and coaches alot of credit. Takes an awful lot to get to this stage of talent.  

Screenshot_20210512-104631_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210512-105226_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210512-104713_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210512-104755_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5

First Varsity High School game of the season yesterday and my boy starts, goes 4 innings strong with 7Ks off the bump to get a big first game win 5 to 3. Just so overly impressed with the talent on both teams, get to this stage there's no slouching,  all kids can play extremely well, especially in a Varsity triple A division. Give every single one of those boys, parents and coaches alot of credit. Takes an awful lot to get to this stage of talent.  
Screenshot_20210512-104631_Gallery.thumb.jpg.bac33bd797ae9c368e49720afa4793a9.jpg
Screenshot_20210512-105226_Instagram.thumb.jpg.810bb913138f617b1e6af2cd18d38423.jpg
Screenshot_20210512-104713_Gallery.thumb.jpg.afe9025e57ab948ddbc772ff39a44a10.jpg
Screenshot_20210512-104755_Gallery.thumb.jpg.889b0135486f0469f17c4e976ad5684a.jpg

Awesome...looks like they are playing in a prison yard!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Awesome...looks like they are playing in a prison yard!!!

That's what you get in Brooklyn, actually very nice, huge turf field and dirt mound, what more you want. Sorry in Brooklyn we are not surrounded by cornfields...lol..But the ball playing is awesome and that's all that matters.. Look at that kid in my first picture to the far right, my son is 6ft and 185 and that kid made him look small. My son asked how tall he was, 6'5". Just look at the opposing team on the bench all are huge. Thankfully he struck out that big boy, that kid was swinging for the bleaches.

• Like 1

That's what you get in Brooklyn, actually very nice, huge turf field and dirt mound, what more you want. Sorry in Brooklyn we are not surrounded by cornfields...lol..But the ball playing is awesome and that's all that matters.. Look at that kid in my first picture to the far right, my son is 6ft and 185 and that kid made him look small. My son asked how tall he was, 6'5". Just look at the opposing team on the bench all are huge. Thankfully he struck out that big boy, that kid was swinging for the bleaches.

No insult implied!!! I used to love playing tourneys out at Randall’s Island - all of a sudden our “big fish” from the travel teams would really see what’s out there. Blaring Spanish music from cars, no $400+ bats, sharing gloves and gear....one team had a large tire on a metal pole that they boys used pregame to warm up - 5 swings each and if you didn’t make it rotate the pole you were mercilessly teased! One kid “got undressed” by his coach for not running on to the field- pulled him off and made him turn in his hat and leave. Parent were PISSED...at the kid and apologized to the coach.
That’s what really out there for our kiddy I compete against. Good to see yours holding his own!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

No insult implied!!! I used to love playing tourneys out at Randall’s Island - all of a sudden our “big fish” from the travel teams would really see what’s out there. Blaring Spanish music from cars, no $400+ bats, sharing gloves and gear....one team had a large tire on a metal pole that they boys used pregame to warm up - 5 swings each and if you didn’t make it rotate the pole you were mercilessly teased! One kid “got undressed” by his coach for not running on to the field- pulled him off and made him turn in his hat and leave. Parent were PISSED...at the kid and apologized to the coach.
That’s what really out there for our kiddy I compete against. Good to see yours holding his own!!!

Thanks, It's okay I  didn't take it as an insult. But yeah I agree some people just don't know what real talent is out there until you do real "travel" baseball. Now a days every organization is  called a travel team, but not really.  

Edited by NYBowhunter
  • Like 2

Once my sons HS game ended I ran over to my other lefties game,  hes 12.  Just in time to watch him crush the ball to deep left to clear the bases and bring in  three runs. This season hes just been crushing the ball. Nothing like a lefty lauching the ball  oppo over the left outfielders  head.

Screenshot_20210512-114536_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Been a crazy spring already but my kids varsity team is off to a great start.
My kid is batting .389 with 2 walks and 4 strikeouts. A little rough start at the plate as he didn’t do any hitting work this winter and focused on pitching. Seems like he’s getting his batters eye back now...3-3 yesterday and 2-3 today.
His first varsity pitching experience was a good test. 4 innings in relief as they trailed by 1. Gave up 8 hits through the 4 innings (1 extra inning) but never gave up a any earned runs. They won 4-2. Some high stress scenarios and he just kept peppering the strike zone. Certainly didn’t overpower anyone but showed some balls and heart

• Like 2

My daughter is playing her first year of baseball at 6 years old. She is super determined to conquer. And probably tries the hardest out of the entire team. We’ve been practicing most nights and she can hit the ball better and farther than most of the team if not the whole team. Makes me proud as baseball is my favorite. She’s down and ready with every pitch ..
I also get the joys of assistant coach as most know 6yr olds aren’t always cooperative LOL. Love it

IMG_5202.thumb.jpg.e5b0df19056cc911fda64391c6a343bf.jpgIMG_5201.thumb.jpg.2bc295fdb1089a7af2308eb0a61c8856.jpg

• Like 5

We are knee deep in ball. He’s playing rec/town ball and modified. Mod is the same schedule as rec ball so he’s only played 2 games for them. Tuesday was the first mod game and Ben was 3rd in the batting order in between a bunch of 8th graders. Had a walk and a single with a rbi. Team has 18 kids so after the 3rd inning subs started. 
Seems as though the coach has taken a real liking to him so far as yesterday he had a brief team meeting with 2 8th graders and Ben yesterday. 
Since he’s young for his grade he can play on his 13u travel or the 12u travel team. Last weekend he played a dh for the 12u team and we’re heading to a tournament in Buffalo next weekend with them! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

My daughter is playing her first year of baseball at 6 years old. She is super determined to conquer. And probably tries the hardest out of the entire team. We’ve been practicing most nights and she can hit the ball better and farther than most of the team if not the whole team. Makes me proud as baseball is my favorite. She’s down and ready with every pitch ..
I also get the joys of assistant coach as most know 6yr olds aren’t always cooperative LOL. Love it

IMG_5202.thumb.jpg.e5b0df19056cc911fda64391c6a343bf.jpgIMG_5201.thumb.jpg.2bc295fdb1089a7af2308eb0a61c8856.jpg

That's awesome!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

And she has a cool sponsor!

• Like 1

And I can't forget my 14yr. Old daughter who loves softball, plays second base, short stop,  pitches and has a great bat.  Just last week we were up in a game and just needed two more outs to win, our starter pitcher came out the inning prior and we had already went thru two pitchers and just couldn't find the strikezone, my daughter has been practicing pitching but never in a game,, coach brought her in and would be her first appearance on the mound, goes out and struckout the last two batters to get the win.  Just flat out enjoy watching these kids play.

Screenshot_20210513-083645_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/18/2021 at 11:13 PM, Liquidonyx said:

This is my sons first year. 5 year olds a super fun to watch, almost comical :)B925623E-8BD6-4946-9C84-B53491657A62.thumb.jpeg.e093672a2b0d5ed22a9778fac3a29244.jpeg

i've coached t-ball for 3 years now and assist with the developmental leagues. We spend a whole practice just teaching them to drop the bat and which base was 1st and not 3rd when they hit it lol

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

i've coached t-ball for 3 years now and assist with the developmental leagues. We spend a whole practice just teaching them to drop the bat and which base was 1st and not 3rd when they hit it lol

Although those days are far behind me, I remember them like it was yesterday...lol..

• Like 1

I don't have any pictures on my phone because I have been manning the DSLR camera for the 2 games my daughter has played so far in 8U house softball. Quite honestly it's an absolute S%#^ show BUT and this is a gigantic BUT the coaches are first year coaches and they are doing a thankless job that I certainly do not want to do at a time when we almost didn't have enough coaches to have the 2 teams in the league that we do.   

For all you guys and girls out there coaching your son's and daughter's teams THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!! 

And don't worry I keep my mouth shut and my opinions to myself. The coaches don't need a boned headed parent making there life miserable. The girls are still having fun and at this age and skill level I feel that's pretty important. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I don't have any pictures on my phone because I have been manning the DSLR camera for the 2 games my daughter has played so far in 8U house softball. Quite honestly it's an absolute S%#^ show BUT and this is a gigantic BUT the coaches are first year coaches and they are doing a thankless job that I certainly do not want to do at a time when we almost didn't have enough coaches to have the 2 teams in the league that we do.   

For all you guys and girls out there coaching your son's and daughter's teams THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!! 

And don't worry I keep my mouth shut and my opinions to myself. The coaches don't need a boned headed parent making there life miserable. The girls are still having fun and at this age and skill level I feel that's pretty important. 

At our sons games you can point us out, way out if left field away from thr other parents. Its nice a quiet and opinion free!!

Edited by Zag
  • Like 1