Youth baseball thread

Zag

That’s what people think however, the D1 ride finds you. If you need a showcase you are not a full ride D1 player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree 100%. The kids who are torn on college or pros straight outta HS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We got a kid in Section 6 at Williamsville East. Who is an Absolute stud. Hes a catcher and a left handed hiter who can hit anything. Will will be drafted in the first round this year and possibly top 10. I believe he has been committed to Clemson for a while now and like others have said the colleges and pros found him. For you baseball guys his pop time is under 2.0 which is unheard for a HS catcher. Last week he faced an area pitcher in a big Hs match-up who is going to Alabama....pretty sweet to see these kids headed to big time schools.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My boys friend goes to a local private all boys school where they have 80 kids trying out for the freshman team. He plays on the JV and they just lost the championship to another school who has two kids already committed to D1 as sophomores. AND they can’t break in on the Varsity team..5 or 6 D 1 players.
The talent is crazy good...to have any opportunity to play in college sports these days is so hard.

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:

My boys friend goes to a local private all boys school where they have 80 kids trying out for the freshman team. He plays on the JV and they just lost the championship to another school who has two kids already committed to D1 as sophomores. AND they can’t break in on the Varsity team..5 or 6 D 1 players.
The talent is crazy good...to have any opportunity to play in college sports these days is so hard.

Wow thats nuts

We got a kid in Section 6 at Williamsville East. Who is an Absolute stud. Hes a catcher and a left handed hiter who can hit anything. Will will be drafted in the first round this year and possibly top 10. I believe he has been committed to Clemson for a while now and like others have said the colleges and pros found him. For you baseball guys his pop time is under 2.0 which is unheard for a HS catcher. Last week he faced an area pitcher in a big Hs match-up who is going to Alabama....pretty sweet to see these kids headed to big time schools.

Joe Mack. He had a covid a while ago. I got him falling to the 2nd or 3rd round because WNY didn’t start baseball until late May this year. Besides Joe Mauer, catchers in the 1st round have been really bad the last decade plus.

I think most mock drafts have him gone in the first round. The amount of scouts at his games are unreal....its like a scene out of a movie.

That would be historic for WNY I assume? My notes shows they haven’t had a 1st rounder since the Jimmy Carter administration

I think most mock drafts have him gone in the first round. The amount of scouts at his games are unreal....its like a scene out of a movie.

You mean he doesn’t have to abandoned his team during a sectional championship to pay $$$ and go to them!!!!
I can’t imagine that move (most likely perpetrated by the father more than the kid) wins any program over

• Like 1

That would be historic for WNY I assume? My notes shows they haven’t had a 1st rounder since the Jimmy Carter administration

They mentioned on the local sports talk show the other day.....and it may actually be pre Carter it's been soon.

You mean he doesn’t have to abandoned his team during a sectional championship to pay $$$ and go to them!!!!
I can’t imagine that move (most likely perpetrated by the father more than the kid) wins any program over

Your kids teammate isnt a true teammate....he's a me guy...college coaches will a sniff out his bullshit in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

East Softball is unreal too, their catcher is ranked #7 overall in the nation at any position. And shes a freshman!

17 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Joe Mack. He had a covid a while ago. I got him falling to the 2nd or 3rd round because WNY didn’t start baseball until late May this year. Besides Joe Mauer, catchers in the 1st round have been really bad the last decade plus.

Buster Posey would like a word

16 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

They play at North tonight at 6:30, if my daughters game gets cancelled Ill go check it out

You said first round catchers

Sorry I meant right out of HS. It’s rare and when it happens it doesn’t end well (Blake Swihart)

And away we go for summer travel….off to The Rock in Chester for two on Saturday and then a few on Sunday depending on Saturday.
The condensed spring sport season is proving to be not great for kids after all. Three of the PO(pitcher-only) on my kids team are laid up with injuries due to injuries due to over use, lack of rest, and what I would call stupidity-allowing kids to throw curveballs too early and too often.

A lot for an audience of youth baseball fans to dissect here….
1. classifying kids as PO as young as 13
2. Allowing/encouraging/not limiting the amount of curveballs (often poor technique) on young arms
3. Overuse and burnout

PLAYBALL!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

And away we go for summer travel….off to The Rock in Chester for two on Saturday and then a few on Sunday depending on Saturday.
The condensed spring sport season is proving to be not great for kids after all. Three of the PO(pitcher-only) on my kids team are laid up with injuries due to injuries due to over use, lack of rest, and what I would call stupidity-allowing kids to throw curveballs too early and too often.

2. Allowing/encouraging/not limiting the amount of curveballs (often poor technique) on young arms
3. Overuse and burnout

PLAYBALL!!!

My kid fortunately doesn’t pitch often and I am 10000% A ok with it!!

Son had an awesome game tonight. He’s s been on a real tear swinging the bat so far. He went 3-4 with a double and 5 RBI’s and now has the highest batting avg on the team. Fingers crossed he can keep this confidence going!! Had a great out field catch in foul territory, he really had to leg it out to make the play! 

• Like 2

3. Overuse and burnout

PLAYBALL!!!

PO...wow that's new terminology to me.
And if I was a kid I would say screw that.....what fun is it only pitching??

PO...wow that's new terminology to me.
And if I was a kid I would say screw that.....what fun is it only pitching??

So my kid’s school is small- 110-125 kids per GRADE. Our starting second baseman and lead off hitter(.395) is also our #2 pitcher as a sophomore. For summer travel he is a PO on the same team as my kid. Besides that not being any fun, he gets zero reps at the plate or the field all summer and no development for his school team where he will most likely again bat lead off and play the middle infield.
Now in his case, he wants to pitch in the Ivy League and has the grades to back it up. It may “make sense” but it still sucks.

So my kid’s school is small- 110-125 kids per GRADE. Our starting second baseman and lead off hitter(.395) is also our #2 pitcher as a sophomore. For summer travel he is a PO on the same team as my kid. Besides that not being any fun, he gets zero reps at the plate or the field all summer and no development for his school team where he will most likely again bat lead off and play the middle infield.
Now in his case, he wants to pitch in the Ivy League and has the grades to back it up. It may “make sense” but it still sucks.

Assume his parents have the cash to back up that Ivy league dream or his family has a financial need....since they don't pass out athketic scholarships.