Youth baseball thread

Zag

Well he’s played 7 more games since my last post. His house league team made it to the championship last Monday night, fortunately his other team had an off night so he was able to play in it and eventually win it. Hit a dinger and pitched 3 innings!!

Travel tream is going well he’s been batting pretty well and is either 1st or 2nd across the board stat wise. Coach had him 9th in the batting order (no reason he should have been there but we keep our mouths shut and let or son dictate where he bats) and after a few games he moved him to 5th. Biggest lead is RBI’s!! Pretty impressed with his hard work and drive especially being one of the youngest on the team and half the teams a grade ahead of him! He’s really driving the ball well!! We’re in a tournament so tomorrow might be a long ass day!

• Like 2

Just go home a little while ago. Left the house at 7am. Played the 1st game at 9am and won. Played the next game at noon and won. Went on to the championship game at 3. Our team was winning 13-4 after 4 innings, the 5th innings the pitching wheels fell off and they lost 14-13. Frustrating to watch the last few innings as the coach left the final 2 pitchers in to long, you could see they weren’t getting it done, frustrating end to a long day.

• Like 2

Had our last regular season travel game today and took a tough loss 12-11. We finished regular season 5-5 not bad for first year 9u travel players. 3 more tournaments, travel playoffs plus house playoffs. It’s almost over. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Zag said:

Well he’s played 7 more games since my last post. His house league team made it to the championship last Monday night, fortunately his other team had an off night so he was able to play in it and eventually win it. Hit a dinger and pitched 3 innings!!

Travel tream is going well he’s been batting pretty well and is either 1st or 2nd across the board stat wise. Coach had him 9th in the batting order (no reason he should have been there but we keep our mouths shut and let or son dictate where he bats) and after a few games he moved him to 5th. Biggest lead is RBI’s!! Pretty impressed with his hard work and drive especially being one of the youngest on the team and half the teams a grade ahead of him! He’s really driving the ball well!! We’re in a tournament so tomorrow might be a long ass day!

My son played club ball for a coach who was eventually his varsity coach for 3 years.  Back when my son was in 4th grade the coach on the 1st night of practice said "I will talk to you parents about anything.  Playing time is not one of them.  So dont ever ask me about playing time."  Best words I have ever heard from a coach.  Parents need to cheer.  Let the coaches coach.

• Like 1

Thursday my kid pitched at a showcase in Diamond Nation… 4 runs on 6 hits, 5 K’s. He actually pitched pretty well against some real good competition. Really only 2 hard hit balls then a bunch of seeing eye singles and a pop fly that could have been caught.
(1:45 each way).
Friday in Jersey City for a skills demonstration … 10 swings of the bat, 60 yard dash timed, field your position for 8 grounders. (25 Miles away..90 minutes each way).

Saturday in Jersey city again for double header “showcase games”. 1-3 in both games, played first- didn’t pitch since he pitched Thursday. We passed on making the trip back today to pitch 1 inning(45 minute to get there on Saturday…90 minute to get home.
GW bridge $16 x 4(two cars on Saturday as my wife wanted to catch some of the game).
Back to Diamond nation on Thursday to pitch in an 8:30 games
let’s do some math. 1:45 down, pitch 2 innings (30 minutes approx). 1:45 back starting home around 11:00pm

All for what…college scouts!!!!!!!
620a252de6cebf1a8b4004e3dbc9bcad.jpg
Hahah….what a joke! It’s too bad kids his age can’t just play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Question for y'all ...

My daughter will be 8 in a month. She was in the 8U age bracket this year and did really well for herself considering this was her first year playing softball. 

My wife and I just kinda assumed she would stay in the 8U age bracket for next year as well but now her coach is talking to us and he suggested that she move up to 10U as an 8 year old AND play on the travel team.

Good Idea? Bad Idea? Who Care's, let her play whatever? 

We asked for the information on the time commitment on the travel league as that will be a big factor in our decision. Of course our child will also get to decide if she wants to play in 2 different leagues as well. 

2 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Question for y'all ...

My daughter will be 8 in a month. She was in the 8U age bracket this year and did really well for herself considering this was her first year playing softball. 

My wife and I just kinda assumed she would stay in the 8U age bracket for next year as well but now her coach is talking to us and he suggested that she move up to 10U as an 8 year old AND play on the travel team.

We asked for the information on the time commitment on the travel league as that will be a big factor in our decision. Of course our child will also get to decide if she wants to play in 2 different leagues as well. 

I think the playing up really depends on the child. Some need to stay in their age group and shine and some need the challenge of a higher age group. But really at this age don’t think to hard about it. Ive learned the baseball process is a long marathon and kids abilities change each yr and theres now rush at this age. 
Example, my sons team, one kid who had the highest bat avg last fall now has the 4th lowest this yr and the kid with the highest bat avg this yr was 5th from the bottom last fall. Your main focus should be on skill development now through age 15 (imo). Lots of fielding and batting practice with Dad!!
Travel ball is fun and shouldn't cost a ton but can be BUSY. We started travel ball for our son at 10u and have been doing it since and enjoy having our kid play with higher skill set peers as competition drives competition and my son loves to compete against the older kids! 

Question for y'all ...

That depends, do you and your wife hate carefree summer weekends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That depends, do you and your wife hate carefree summer weekends?

See that's the kind of input I'm looking for. We seem to somehow be pretty busy as it is and neither my wife or I really want to spend every weekend at a ball diamond hours away from home. We also have an older daughter that won't want to spend hours away from home at a ball diamond watching her sister play softball. 

See that's the kind of input I'm looking for. We seem to somehow be pretty busy as it is and neither my wife or I really want to spend every weekend at a ball diamond hours away from home. We also have an older daughter that won't want to spend hours away from home at a ball diamond watching her sister play softball. 

I second what Tacks is saying…it can be a lot depending on the coach and the program. We enjoyed the travel world from 8u-12u but it was an every weekend thing. Travel baseball families were and many still remain very close family friends.

Well his team won Thursday nights game and were off until Monday when the host a Niagara Falls team at a local college field. 
I have been having many conversations with a guy who’s a former mlb’r and college coach who’s super knowledgeable about many areas of the game, recruiting and so on. He has a vast network of friends in the mlb and college level.
Anyways he’s been very kind to answer all my questions I keep asking him about processes and what to focus and not focus on with my sons development and so on. So the other day he asked me to send him a video of him hitting (I’ve got shit tons of them!!) He had some pretty good feedback like, he has upside and lots of it, most 13yr old don't have that kind of balance, needs to shorten his swing, his swing looks like a middle lineup and his body is extremely projectable! Pretty cool to hear that from someone who’s been in baseball a long time. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Mack. He had a covid a while ago. I got him falling to the 2nd or 3rd round because WNY didn’t start baseball until late May this year. Besides Joe Mauer, catchers in the 1st round have been really bad the last decade plus.

@mlammerhirt

Looks like we will both be wrong. He didn’t go top 10, didn’t go top 27 And I’m headed to bed. But it’s not likely he falls to 2nd round? I believe he’s one of 8 players in attendance tonight.

He was...i saw a pic of him there. Catcher did go #1 overall.....we shall see how that pans out.
Hooefully second round for Mack....there will still be decent money on the table for a 2nd rounder.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

He made it! Marlins in 1st round.

The first overall pick is from Westchester County (Fox Lane HS before Louisville).

Who says the northeast doesn’t have talent? I think 7 and 8th picks were from northeast too

• Like 2

He made it! Marlins in 1st round.

The first overall pick is from Westchester County (Fox Lane HS before Louisville).

Who says the northeast doesn’t have talent? I think 7 and 8th picks were from northeast too

Jeter might know a little something about NY baseball!!!!

• Like 1