Youth baseball thread

Zag

I took the responsibility of coaching an 18u pal league team in buffalo. Team is spread out of buffalo public school kids that just want to play. We also have a 12 year old kid that has been hanging around So the commissioner let us have him on the team to grow the game. I’m our game this afternoon the other team that was a mix of canisus and st Francis high school were great with this kid. They have a d1 commit and he lobbed it in there and the Kid hit one up the line. Both teams went and celebrated at first with the kid. What an awesome moment. Grow the game coaches it could make so kids that never played grow into some ball players some day.

• Like 6

91388c96a4e98f7a9a7df00ebf1b7a96.jpg
Contact! We went and got this ball after the game. Ive got great video from my phone and another parents gopro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a swing!!! Hip turn and extension makes ball go bye bye quick!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

91388c96a4e98f7a9a7df00ebf1b7a96.jpg
Contact! We went and got this ball after the game. Ive got great video from my phone and another parents gopro

Have you considered watching from the Homerun side of the fence? Then you could catch one.

• Like 1

Well were at Lake Point sports facility in Georgia representing team PBR NY. Son is playing against PBR Tennessee. His first at bat was against a kit tossing fast balls at 75mph. He lined out to center field and I’m hopeful that will help calm his nerves going forward. Side note RA Dickey is in the house sitting just down from us!

3E6F46A9-2DE5-49AD-AA1C-22E2BC0AF577.jpeg

• Like 4

Well were at Lake Point sports facility in Georgia representing team PBR NY. Son is playing against PBR Tennessee. His first at bat was against a kit tossing fast balls at 75mph. He lined out to center field and I’m hopeful that will help calm his nerves going forward. Side note RA Dickey is in the house sitting just down from us!
3E6F46A9-2DE5-49AD-AA1C-22E2BC0AF577.thumb.jpeg.a49669af895b58017e2f84cb4dd80116.jpeg

Would be nice to see him hit one off the flagpole in center!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Would be nice to see him hit one off the flagpole in center!

Omg yes it would, he had a deep shot to center on his first at bat and had a bases loaded triple on his 2nd at bat. He was pretty pumped about his play!

• Like 4

3E6F46A9-2DE5-49AD-AA1C-22E2BC0AF577.thumb.jpeg.a49669af895b58017e2f84cb4dd80116.jpeg

PBR events are pretty sweet (and sour). It’s kind of cool to see the high caliber of players out there. At the same time “chasing the numbers “ at a young age makes PLAYING baseball games irrelevant.

We were just at one of these local PBR events. My Kid went to check his stats after the tournament and found a $40 charge required to access his stats.

This is my kids first season where I hear him looking forward to it ending as he’s tired of the “showcase” format..drive 2 hours, 8 ground balls from short (he plays 3rd or 1st normally but they only care about shortstops who they will make into the other positions), 5 BP swings (2 rounds), then maybe a “pitchers only” bullpen workout where you throw 10 pitches.

If it’s a two day “event” they play a double header the next day but with nothing on the line (standings or seeding standings or chasing a chip) winning is irrelevant so it’s all about your individual performance. America’s pastime making kids more selfish…awesome!!!

• Like 1

PBR events are pretty sweet (and sour). It’s kind of cool to see the high caliber of players out there. At the same time “chasing the numbers “ at a young age makes PLAYING baseball games irrelevant.

We were just at one of these local PBR events. My Kid went to check his stats after the tournament and found a $40 charge required to access his stats.

This is my kids first season where I hear him looking forward to it ending as he’s tired of the “showcase” format..drive 2 hours, 8 ground balls from short (he plays 3rd or 1st normally but they only care about shortstops who they will make into the other positions), 5 BP swings (2 rounds), then maybe a “pitchers only” bullpen workout where you throw 10 pitches.

If it’s a two day “event” they play a double header the next day but with nothing on the line (standings or seeding standings or chasing a chip) winning is irrelevant so it’s all about your individual performance. America’s pastime making kids more selfish…awesome!!!

Did he have Tommy John surgery yet? The new fad is to get that done when you’re 15, so you’re locked in at 17

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

Thats definitely one side of it! We are taking the approach of do this to get experience at these types of events so later on he knows exactly what to expect! We plan on doing very few of these as he’s just 13 and has a lot of development still to go! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well our summer was non stop baseball. The PBR event in Georgia was pretty cool. College scouts were littered throughout the place. Coming from a small town it was pretty crazy to see!!

Travel team did well, they finished 32-7. He’s now starting 14u for the fall and they only have 5 games scheduled, thank god!!

Last month we took a trip to Boston to meet with a very well known baseball person who is extremely well connected in the college coaching ranks. He helps develop kids and helps get them opportunities to play at the next level (college). We met with him over a 2 day period. He had really good things to say about Ben and had tons of advice for my wife and I which we thoroughly enjoyed!! He said no doubt he will have an opportunity to play beyond hs and he gave him tons of advice and things to work on. Most of which was eating well, working out and taking care of academics!! 

• Like 1

Well our summer was non stop baseball. The PBR event in Georgia was pretty cool. College scouts were littered throughout the place. Coming from a small town it was pretty crazy to see!!
Travel team did well, they finished 32-7. He’s now starting 14u for the fall and they only have 5 games scheduled, thank god!!
Last month we took a trip to Boston to meet with a very well known baseball person who is extremely well connected in the college coaching ranks. He helps develop kids and helps get them opportunities to play at the next level (college). We met with him over a 2 day period. He had really good things to say about Ben and had tons of advice for my wife and I which we thoroughly enjoyed!! He said no doubt he will have an opportunity to play beyond hs and he gave him tons of advice and things to work on. Most of which was eating well, working out and taking care of academics!! 

Gotta keep the groupies away too!

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Gotta keep the groupies away too!

Haha, I don’t know how my wife and i did it but he’s a good looking kid who is super popular and always has girls chasing after him. Damn kid has it all!

• Like 1

I hope you didn’t have to pay this person In Boston

My boy committed to a college, playing next level baseball, so excited for him. Not an easy task considering only 6% of all HS players go on to play in college. Started this journey at age 5 and he's now 17. Give this kid alot of credit and dedication to a game he truly loves.  He will be playing at the College of Mt. Saint Vincent in Riverdale, NY.

Screenshot_20210922-105057_Instagram.jpg

• Like 5

My boy committed to a college, playing next level baseball, so excited for him. Not an easy task considering only 6% of all HS players go on to play in college. Started this journey at age 5 and he's now 17. Give this kid alot of credit and dedication to a game he truly loves.  He will be playing at the College of Mt. Saint Vincent in Riverdale, NY.
Screenshot_20210922-105057_Instagram.thumb.jpg.44b4b22c0497c197f6a68f3d28801a64.jpg

ATTA BOY!!!!!
And not far from Broadway Joe’s Pizza and Manhattan college!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Awesome congrats!!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Congrats! Now time to pick a NIL contract to sign.....maybe Nike? or @The Jerkman customs will sign him? or one of @crappyice's mozzarella spots on Arthur Avenue?

• Like 1

Screenshot_20210922-105057_Instagram.thumb.jpg.44b4b22c0497c197f6a68f3d28801a64.jpg

What was the process like? Was MSV “on his list” of schools and did he reach out to them? Did he attend one of their showcases? Or general showcases/.tournaments where MSV attended? Did he hear from other schools?
Asking for a friend who is about to be overwhelmed by this process for both baseball and crew!!!

The process at times can be overwhelming for both parents and kids,  my boy was in constant contact with  over 20 colleges that were actively looking to recruit him. He then narrowed it down to 10 and MSV was in his top 10.  DO NOT get caught up with the college divisions...D1, D2 or D3. My boy had offers from all, it's  best fit for your kid,  play time and academics is ultimately what matters.. We were lucky in that my boys travel program ran thier own in house showcase where coaches from all over would come see the boys play at our home field,  our program also put us in tournaments where they knew college coaches would be attending. My boys coach also takes video of each kid and then blast that video out to all his college contacts (hundreds). My boy was also active online and created his own profile where coaches can watch him pitch. To be honest the head coach from MSV recruited my son by video alone, never seen him pitch a game, when we went for our tour the head coach said he has seen so many kids pitch he can tell by mechanics alone. So here's the very best advise I can give you from me being thru this whole process, if your kid or anyone's kid for that matter is looking to play college ball and they are in thier sophomore/junior year of HS and the current travel league thier in  is playing games with no college coaches in attendance or playing local ball  just to play or you as a parent look for outside help because that travel team is not getting your kid exposure, then you are not in the right program. Once that kid becomes a junior in HS , the teams wins and loses should mean nothing, at this stage of the game its about putting your kid in front of college coaches at almost every game/tournament.  If your league can't do that then move on. My son left a coach at 16 after playing for him for 6 years just because not only me but my son felt he needed the next level and the exposure wasn't there. Within  a few months with his new travel team he was committed.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The process at times can be overwhelming for both parents and kids,  my boy was in constant contact with  over 20 colleges that were actively looking to recruit him. He then narrowed it down to 10 and MSV was in his top 10.  DO NOT get caught up with the college divisions...D1, D2 or D3. My boy had offers from all, it's  best fit for your kid,  play time and academics is ultimately what matters.. We were lucky in that my boys travel program ran thier own in house showcase where coaches from all over would come see the boys play at our home field,  our program also put us in tournaments where they knew college coaches would be attending. My boys coach also takes video of each kid and then blast that video out to all his college contacts (hundreds). My boy was also active online and created his own profile where coaches can watch him pitch. To be honest the head coach from MSV recruited my son by video alone, never seen him pitch a game, when we went for our tour the head coach said he has seen so many kids pitch he can tell by mechanics alone. So here's the very best advise I can give you from me being thru this whole process, if your kid or anyone's kid for that matter is looking to play college ball and they are in thier sophomore/junior year of HS and the current travel league thier in  is playing games with no college coaches in attendance or playing local ball  just to play or you as a parent look for outside help because that travel team is not getting your kid exposure, then you are not in the right program. Once that kid becomes a junior in HS , the teams wins and loses should mean nothing, at this stage of the game its about putting your kid in front of college coaches at almost every game/tournament.  If your league can't do that then move on. My son left a coach at 16 after playing for him for 6 years just because not only me but my son felt he needed the next level and the exposure wasn't there. Within  a few months with his new travel team he was committed.  

How did he get the videos out? Just send them directly to coaches or through an organization like PBR? My kid played in PBR events last summer and we were just contacted regarding updating his profile since it hasn’t been. How much will that cost? was my first question….nothing, it’s part of playing in PBR events. The more kids in their stable, the more success they have; the more promoting they can do…blah blah blah!

On 10/1/2021 at 8:51 PM, crappyice said:

How did he get the videos out? Just send them directly to coaches or through an organization like PBR? My kid played in PBR events last summer and we were just contacted regarding updating his profile since it hasn’t been. How much will that cost? was my first question….nothing, it’s part of playing in PBR events. The more kids in their stable, the more success they have; the more promoting they can do…blah blah blah!

His coach sent out videos and I also paid for him to be part of NCSA, which gave him exposure to all colleges nationwide.

• Like 1