Youth baseball thread

Zag

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We won our playoff game tonight against Jamestown. Next up, at Lancaster and their superstar D1 pitcher whos headed to FSU. Last week we allowed two runs in the seventh and lost 2-1 to them. It should be a great game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good luck to ur daughter and team!!

• Thanks 1

Well kids little league team got their first win last night. 3-0. Son hits lead off now. Walked off pitcher in bottom of first. Struck out second time and had a hard grounder should have been a hit but kid made a hell of a play to rob him. Overall made good contact with ball on a couple foul balls just needs to straighten them out. Found out his Louisville slugger bat is bent. Coach let him know it's why he isn't getting pop on ball with his sweet spot. So off to dick's this morning bat shopping. Anyone heard of this bent bat thing? How does it happen? He takes care of his stuff once he's done right into bat bag. Well next game is Tuesday. His confidence is high and kids finally came around talking cheering and having fun. No defense to talk about had one good play up first base line but they called it foul. Seasons in full swing for little league. Town ball we're still practicing.

Well kids little league team got their first win last night. 3-0. Son hits lead off now. Walked off pitcher in bottom of first. Struck out second time and had a hard grounder should have been a hit but kid made a hell of a play to rob him. Overall made good contact with ball on a couple foul balls just needs to straighten them out. Found out his Louisville slugger bat is bent. Coach let him know it's why he isn't getting pop on ball with his sweet spot. So off to dick's this morning bat shopping. Anyone heard of this bent bat thing? How does it happen? He takes care of his stuff once he's done right into bat bag. Well next game is Tuesday. His confidence is high and kids finally came around talking cheering and having fun. No defense to talk about had one good play up first base line but they called it foul. Seasons in full swing for little league. Town ball we're still practicing.

Maybe too much in contact cold weather? It happens.

39 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I bought my kid used easton mako bats off ebay. Like 2016 or 2017 in the drop -10,11 or 12. Great light weight bata with lots of pop. If my son was doing ll all over id do it this way again.

Edited by Zag
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Here’s one 2 1/4 barrel, light weight and not end cap heavy like many tend to be. Mostly likely you may have to get a different size each season. My kid grew so much I was buying and selling each season. 

350E8793-6706-4E30-B602-70AC4AD6B31C.png

9 minutes ago, Zag said:

Here’s one 2 1/4 barrel, light weight and not end cap heavy like many tend to be. Mostly likely you may have to get a different size each season. My kid grew so much I was buying and selling each season. 

350E8793-6706-4E30-B602-70AC4AD6B31C.png

Yes he's at 27 inches 17 ounces. He just got his last year. Now buying a new one.

2 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yes he's at 27 inches 17 ounces. He just got his last year. Now buying a new one.

What model bat got bent? I know Louisville has a one year warranty on them. It is a problem with bats bending. Some of them are very expensive and still use cheap metal. I bought my son the Louisville slugger select do to the warranty. If the bat was purchased in that one year time frame dicks will take it back on an even exchange.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Bats are insane. $330+. We usually find the prior years model for around $230 and they last a couple years. Find an old bat for BP, control balls, and lessons when hes going to hit dozens and dozens of balls

I think at youth level I would focus on rules and drill play scenarios. Equipment seems less important to me at this level. We are in 8-10 softball and it's hard enough for the kids to remember what base to throw the ball to. I am not sure equipment makes this better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cory said:

What model bat got bent? I know Louisville has a one year warranty on them. It is a problem with bats bending. Some of them are very expensive and still use cheap metal. I bought my son the Louisville slugger select do to the warranty. If the bat was purchased in that one year time frame dicks will take it back on an even exchange.

Yes I tried to return it but Dick's said I d have to contact Louisville slugger then they send me a gift certificate. He had the Louisville slugger Omaha so he went with same just different color. He wanted the Louisville slugger Solo but didn't have his size. We did BP and you can hear the crack and pop when ball hits bat. Definitely a difference. Best part he bought it himself with money he saved up made him feel good. $109 plus tax. Man seen the best Louisville slugger there was like $350 insane. 

I think at youth level I would focus on rules and drill play scenarios. Equipment seems less important to me at this level. We are in 8-10 softball and it's hard enough for the kids to remember what base to throw the ball to. I am not sure equipment makes this better.

I think we started buying bats at 14u and it makes a HUGE difference. It was scary throwing BP

• Like 1

School team lost today…not dead yet but getting out of the loser bracket to
Loved on means winning Monday and Wednesday and then Saturday…pitching probably ain’t gonna hold up.
Prom last night did not help- the boys were just flat plus 95 degrees on the field. Kid went 1-3 and only DH’ed resting the shoulder still. Hoping for Monday’s game but most likely coach will hold him back for
More rest and then have him for Wednesday- he doesn’t love that.

12u -14u bats get crazy $$$. Thankfully I had twin who were playing together so I got plenty of bang for the buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How could I recap my kids final game of his HS school season?

Started Monday- suspended due to darkness in the top of the 11th inning (HS plays 7) tied 2-2. We left 15 runners on base and twice had the bases loaded with no(0-ZERO!) out. Never scored a run.

My kids been shut down since last time he pitched last Wednesday due to shoulder/bicep tendinitis. They shut him down so he would be ready to pitch Wednesday (if they made it).

With the season on the line he “demanded the ball” one day early and pitched his ass off for 5 innings tonight - 72 pitches giving up only 1 unearned run, 2 walks, 3 hits, 3 strikeouts.

After giving up the go ahead run, we got the tying run on with one out who then got caught stealing for out #2. First time this kid got caught stealing all season. Two out single for the 3 hitter, then single for my kid…1st and 3rd two out. Deep fly ball to right tracked down and game (and season) over.

15 inning game played over two days. They Let this team hang around too long. Damn proud of my kid for wanting the ball in that spot and competing like a beast-his arm feels fine FYI.

Heartbreaking to watch seniors end their season that way. Thankfully he’s got another year and even more fire in the belly!

• Like 7

Well son had 4th little league baseball game tonight. He had a lead off single off kid pitching. Second time up had got on base for catcher interference with his bat hitting catchers glove so almost like a walk. Then a struck out off the coach pitching lobs lol. When he's used to hitting heat. Having a hard time adjusting. Fielding was great also on a few plays. He got the team game ball in a losing effort. 19-3 blow out. But at least he had fun. He got alot of compliments from people on how natural his fielding is. Also what a great level lefty swing. Just got to work his throw from 3 Rd maybe lob ball more to get it to first. All that matters is he had fun.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2022 at 4:11 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I think we started buying bats at 14u and it makes a HUGE difference. It was scary throwing BP

Yeah no doubt. My kid has a low 80’s mph exit velo, I turn and duck after each pitch even behind the L screen

• Like 1

A bunch of canceled games last week so neither kid played but over the weekend my youngest daughter participated in a state wide bowling tournament. She had to qualify during league play to get into a regional qualifier. From the regional she had to be top 2 in that event to make it to the State tournament. In the end she was in the top 20 girls across the state grade 4 and under that made it to the State event. At the event she placed 5th out of 20 girls to earn a $75 scholarship. 

Ok back to softball, 8U played Monday and won so they remain undefeated! I was not able to attend so I don't know all the particulars but I heard my daughter hit well. 

12U played yesterday and where missing a few key players which hurt them in the end and they lost 10-3. That was there first loss on the season in there league. They are now 5-1. My daughter still does not have a hit and now after the tournament it seems as though she's afraid of the ball while standing in the batters box. I've watched her step out of several pitches as if they where close to hitting her but they where called strikes. Both times she was up last night she did that and ended up being 2-0 and swinging on the next pitch to strike out. I wanted to get her out and practice batting several times but either the weather or our schedule just didn't allow it. 

A bunch of canceled games last week so neither kid played but over the weekend my youngest daughter participated in a state wide bowling tournament. She had to qualify during league play to get into a regional qualifier. From the regional she had to be top 2 in that event to make it to the State tournament. In the end she was in the top 20 girls across the state grade 4 and under that made it to the State event. At the event she placed 5th out of 20 girls to earn a $75 scholarship. 
Ok back to softball, 8U played Monday and won so they remain undefeated! I was not able to attend so I don't know all the particulars but I heard my daughter hit well. 
12U played yesterday and where missing a few key players which hurt them in the end and they lost 10-3. That was there first loss on the season in there league. They are now 5-1. My daughter still does not have a hit and now after the tournament it seems as though she's afraid of the ball while standing in the batters box. I've watched her step out of several pitches as if they where close to hitting her but they where called strikes. Both times she was up last night she did that and ended up being 2-0 and swinging on the next pitch to strike out. I wanted to get her out and practice batting several times but either the weather or our schedule just didn't allow it. 

So cool that there’s bowling leagues/tourneys for kids!

Regarding stepping out I have found that “anticipation of being hit is worse than being hit itself” if she has not yet been hit by a pitch.
Every BP session when I was throwing soft toss to my kids would include an occasional plunk In the butt. And when she does get hit in the game, celebrate it like she won the World Series. No different than when she fell down for the first time and looked at you to see how to react- if you freak out she freaks out! If you think it’s no big deal, so will she.

It’s kind of like breaking in a puppy so he’s not gun shy. If the first shot he hears is a 12 gauge 10’ away he’s gonna crap himself and constantly wait for that again. Work him into the Big Bang.

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

So cool that there’s bowling leagues/tourneys for kids!

Regarding stepping out I have found that “anticipation of being hit is worse than being hit itself” if she has not yet been hit by a pitch.
Every BP session when I was throwing soft toss to my kids would include an occasional plunk In the butt. And when she does get hit in the game, celebrate it like she won the World Series. No different than when she fell down for the first time and looked at you to see how to react- if you freak out she freaks out! If you think it’s no big deal, so will she.

It’s kind of like breaking in a puppy so he’s not gun shy. If the first shot he hears is a 12 gauge 10’ away he’s gonna crap himself and constantly wait for that again. Work him into the Big Bang.

They say youth bowling is the fastest growing youth sport today. It's way bigger today than it was when I was a kid in terms of tournaments and high end competition. It's not cheap either! 

I think the anticipation of getting hit is the problem. At the tournament several of her team mates where hit by pitches, of course none of them real bad and now she's stepping out on good pitches. 

My plan was to pitch a little faster to her than the last time I did it so it's more like game day pitches and to "accidentally" hit her a time or two real soft she she can feel it and not be afraid of it. 

• Like 1

2nd game of the house league season last night....which is now in full game on mode. I feel like I live at the diamonds....but hey the kids are having a blast. This is a pitching machine league and we use a slingarm vs. Jugs machine. Took the boys a game to settle in and the bats got hot last night. My guys ended pulling off a 12-10 with a big 2 out rally in the top of the 5th to go ahead 12-9. Held tight on the bottom of the 5th to secure the win and the team was beyond pumped.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just booked hotel rooms for tournaments in WV, OH, Buffalo and Lake Placid. Ouch that’s gonna be expensive. 

Kids been pitching well this season, last night was no different, 6k no walks and gave up two blooper hits. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

The good news is they get HBP less as they get older and the pitchers gain control. Teach her to take it on the hip

• Like 1