Youth baseball thread

Zag

2 hours ago, BizCT said:

@NYBowhunter small world! I just checked the CMSV roster and I grew up with the head coach. We lived in same town and played little league, travel team, and through high school baseball growing up with the head coach (before I quit after sophomore year to drink/party).

Very small, head coach is a great down to earth guy.

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Outstanding!! My daughter got a card from their softball coach at a tourny in Pa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I miss that part of the whole process, nothing  made be prouder as a dad  when we went to tourneys / showcases and after the game  he would be approached by new college coaches and also coaches that were actively following him, was a great maturing process and experience for him. I never got involved in the discussions,  he carried the conversations will all the coaches, sent videos, did follow ups. Guess when you want something bad enough, you go full tilt. 

• Like 1

I miss that part of the whole process, nothing  made be prouder as a dad  when we went to tourneys / showcases and after the game  he would be approached by new college coaches and also coaches that were actively following him, was a great maturing process and experience for him. I never got involved in the discussions,  he carried the conversations will all the coaches, sent videos, did follow ups. Guess when you want something bad enough, you go full tilt. 

Same, and she has zero interest in playing in college

• Sad 1

Emma got selected for section all star game and I will be out of town. Im not thrilled about it

I will take your place in what ever out of town activity you have going on so you can attended her all star game. I couldn’t imagine missing that and my girls are not even close to that age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will take your place in what ever out of town activity you have going on so you can attended her all star game. I couldn’t imagine missing that and my girls are not even close to that age.

Youre going to love Grand Rapids! It really sucks. I think it will be broadcast on line though. And theres a lot of kids so maybe just one at bat.

• Like 1

So excited!!! I just found out my kids got a double header Saturday and is pitching Sunday. I guess he's playing for his schools asst coach's local team when he can (that's Saturday)..he's now a PO(pitcher only) for his travel team which I don't love but that's what he wants to try to do in college so that's what it is. This other team will be fun- good kids, good coach, and they PLAY BASEBALL!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crappyice said:

So excited!!! I just found out my kids got a double header Saturday and is pitching Sunday. I guess he's playing for his schools asst coach's local team when he can (that's Saturday)..he's now a PO(pitcher only) for his travel team which I don't love but that's what he wants to try to do in college so that's what it is. This other team will be fun- good kids, good coach, and they PLAY BASEBALL!

Awesome. In my day they would call that a "Guest Player". Teams were allowed 2 guest players per tournament. It awesome for me since I got to travel with different teams and play in different states, etc. and maybe more importantly was all the free swag (hats, shirts, bags, etc.) haha

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

Why stress with batting when a kid chooses to be a PO, they don't bat in college so why stress with a bat last couple years of HS. 

What about the famous Todd Peterson interview?

• Haha 1

Brantley had his first town ball game of season. His team won 11-5 against other saranac team. He went 2-3 at plate. He lead off game with a blast to center for a single coaches held him should of been a double or more but the other team had first year players in outfield. So outta respect. Then he laid down a bunt of pitcher and beat it out. Got walked. Then his last at bat he struck out. He had a check swing that got called a strike by the umpire sending both coaches into a frenzy. Both coaches yelled to ump saying it wasn't a strike. His wist never broke and bat never crossed plate plus pitch was bad. Oh well Brantley shook it off. He's being held down in lower league because of his age. He doing very well this year. Got a little league game tonight and 2 games on Saturday one little league and one town ball. Like I said it's all about him having fun. Gonna be a busy summer.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:17 AM, BizCT said:

What about the famous Todd Peterson interview?

that's freaking awesome. sad too though. There are kids on my sons 2nd and 3rd grade team that have their own private pitching coach. I remember not too long ago growing up and we all played 3 or more sports and now these kids are specializing in elementary school.

• Like 1

8U won again last night. My daughter was 5-6 got out at first on the one play. Her fielding was pretty good again except for the first inning she was pretty slow to react and unsure of what to do when the first few balls where hit her way.

• Like 2

Welp 1st travel ball game is in the books. Last sat they had a scrimmage with a Orchard Park team and lost 2-1. Son went 1 for 2 that day.

Son played as well as ever tonight offensively and defensively (rf), he went 2-3 with a double and triple. Had a great foul ball catch and backed up the center fielder who missed the ball and made a play throwing the kid out at second. 2 games tomorrow and hopefully he stays hot.

• Like 4

Here's a first for me:
"No Dad I'm good- Ted's (a teammate) gonna drive me to the game. You don't even need to come!"
Time slips by awfully fast when watching your kids grow up.

I'm here anyway!
4c1e4347298ecf16213aa2c6bd7cc2d6.jpg

• Like 2

Well Brantley went 2-2 2 singles and a walk. Lead off single off pitcher to start game. Then walked by pitcher. Then a nice hard hit single off the coach. He made some great defensive plays too. His team lost pretty bad don't know score. He's disappointed we didn't make it back for his town game. His friend who was playing for little league opponent left mid game to go to town ball game. Didn't think it was the right thing to do pulling Brantley and leaving with his team down. Overall fun day.

• Like 1