Youth baseball thread

Zag

4 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

What's the difference between the little league team and the town team? My son plays house and travel....guessing same concept just different terminology?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Yes little league I paid for my son to play. Town ball is picked by coaches not a draft. My kid plays a team that has him on team and didn't want him now welcare will feel the wrath. Coach told him today you belong in majors again. Told Brantley to crush of pitcher he did.  He's good enough to be looked at!

Here's a first fir me:
"No Dad I'm good- Ted's (a teammate) gonna drive me to the game. You don't even need to come!"
Time slips by awfully fast when watching your kids grow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when the girls started pulling up in their own cars, it was weird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

ffacf4a0b519c015a956826eb261418e.jpg

4 innings pitched, 48 pitches, 5 k's, no hits, one hit by pitch away from being perfect. Broken two of his opponents' bats which was his favorite stat from the day-he's not very nice!
Removed after 4 innings-showcase ball sucks!

• Like 6

4 innings pitched, 48 pitches, 5 k's, no hits, one hit by pitch away from being perfect. Broken two of his opponents' bats which was his favorite stat from the day-he's not very nice!

Shoulder feeling better since I gave him PED’s?

• Haha 1

Brantley went 3-4 tonight with a couple rbis at little league game. 3 singles 2 off the starting pitcher. Smoke the ball the 4th at bat but 3rd baseman made a great catch and save some runs. He played great defense in the infield and the outfield. He also had a town ball practice before. Coach came over introduced himself and asked if we minded if Brantley could pitch he said we see he has a good arm. The coach also told me Brantley told him he didn't want to throw out his arm. I told the coach it's Brantley s decision. He pulled Brantley over to the side after the game and asked him if he would mind pitching. Brantley declined the coach told him the opportunity is always open if he changes his mind.

Brantley went 3-4 tonight with a couple rbis at little league game. 3 singles 2 off the starting pitcher. Smoke the ball the 4th at bat but 3rd baseman made a great catch and save some runs. He played great defense in the infield and the outfield. He also had a town ball practice before. Coach came over introduced himself and asked if we minded if Brantley could pitch he said we see he has a good arm. The coach also told me Brantley told him he didn't want to throw out his arm. I told the coach it's Brantley s decision. He pulled Brantley over to the side after the game and asked him if he would mind pitching. Brantley declined the coach told him the opportunity is always open if he changes his mind.

Of course it's his choice but you may want to figure out the real reason for him not wanting to pitch. Maybe he just doesn't know how and needs a boost. Maybe it's just not for him. Throwing out his arm seems an odd excuse for a young gun!

Yes. I don't know if he heard it from someone or what. Maybe see his teammates that want to pitch and struggle because of pressure or can't get ball over plate or in strike zone. I like to think he's satisfied playing the infield except catcher and pitching. He loves the outfield. Maybe having a sore arm and us having to ice it after practice and games has him worried. Well figure it out just want him to enjoy playing.

• Like 1

Mine is the exact opposite.....thinks he is Strasburg. Insists on practicing multiple times a day. We need to put a leash on him to get him to relax.

NO CURVEBALLS (real curveballs- there a decent LL curveball that doesn't stress the elbow) until 2 seam and 4 seam fastballs are consistent strikes AND a change up is learned. My kid didn't start to learn a curveball until 14 or so...besides what he was done go with his friends and wiffleball

On 6/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, crappyice said:

how do you break a metal bat?

Brantley had a little league game tonight. He lead off the game with a hard hit grounder between 1st and second off kid pitcher. Then walked off kid pitcher he didn't give him anything to hit all over the place. Then had another hit with a RBI. They only played 3 innings. 1st inning was 45 mins. They can bat up to 10 batters or they get the 3 outs. 2 innings straight the kid pitchers went to 10 batters. Walk after walk. Finally the coaches pitched. Our team won by 1 run. Wasn't much fielding to be had but Brantley made a good play to get someone out at 2nd. Gotta love instructional baseball. As long as kids have fun. Brantley didn't pitch today. He played second and 1st. 

Haha it’s a Wooden Bat league. But aluminum break time to time.

I wish it was a league....showcase showcase showcase! But yes it was a wood bat event - highlights better hitters and spotlights those relying on bat technology.

Heading to Bucknell on the 25th (3 hours one way) to pitch 4-5 innings for some scouts ... any fly fishing out there?

• Like 1

I wish it was a league....showcase showcase showcase! But yes it was a wood bat event - highlights better hitters and spotlights those relying on bat technology.

Heading to Bucknell on the 25th (3 hours one way) to pitch 4-5 innings for some scouts ... any fly fishing out there?

I remember playing travel maybe 14 or 16U and
It was aluminum bat but you were allowed to use wood if you wanted. A few Guy did each game. I played SS and don’t remember a difference. But the OF’s would see differences in judging fly balls for sure

minors is 6 innings but it's the playoffs so no ties, 2 seed mets beat the 3 seed rockies in 8 as we were running out of light. My boy didn't have a great night, 2 for 4 with a 2rbi single, but he had a single with 1 out and bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th to win it! very proud dad moment. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

Playoffs by the end of June! God I would love that....we are only half way through our house season.

U8 travel took a beating last night in the heat. The jugs machine was humming and our first three batters went down swinging. No can do when facing a well piled machine. I think the other team ended up with 2 inside the park Homer's and it was a hit fest for them. There were some bright spots with a few nice defensive plays but overall just a messy night.

10 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Playoffs by the end of June! God I would love that....we are only half way through our house season.

U8 travel took a beating last night in the heat. The jugs machine was humming and our first three batters went down swinging. No can do when facing a well piled machine. I think the other team ended up with 2 inside the park Homer's and it was a hit fest for them. There were some bright spots with a few nice defensive plays but overall just a messy night.

when did you start? We started towards the middle/end of April

8U won again last night. My daughter had a hit and got on base every time she was up. It was either 5 or 6 times I can’t remember I think the heat killed my memory.

12U plays there last regular season game tonight and I can’t attend so I’m sure this will be when my daughter gets her first hit. 12U has an in house tournament this weekend. 3 games Saturday and the top 4 make it to Sunday. They are in 3rd right now in the regular season at 8-1 and are scheduled to play 2 teams that’s are at the bottom of the standings and the current 1st place team in the league who is undefeated on Saturday for qualifying.

• Like 1