Youth baseball thread

Zag

On 7/14/2022 at 7:00 PM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Looks like there is 3 different locations there playing at also. Send me a pm and meet up. Maybe Brantley and I will go up and watch some games. Should be a fun weekend and lots of baseball 

Hey, sorry I hadn’t been back since my last post. It’s been a wild few weeks of baseball.

On 7/31/2022 at 4:13 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

0cdaa84a632e457abcf4df713bec21f8.jpg
165a68426039a909232f9208881c1ff0.jpg
Well thats a wrap on a fantastic travel career, lots of tears were shed mostly mine lol. I'll miss these weekends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We ended soccer about 2 months ago. It's hard but you move on. Nice friendships formed during these years. Would't change a thing! Good luck to her.

• Like 1

Just got back from my nephews game at the dream park in Cooperstown.  Watched him score 1 run, rbi double next inning through a kid out at 1st from right field and then bottom of the inning cracked a 3 run home run for his first of the year.  They still lost but put up a huge comeback at the end.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought my son a wooden bat from powerhouse bats from Rochester. Small business I heard about from a wooden bat tournament. Also went last weekend to a local baseball tournament. Battle of the burgh in Plattsburgh Ny. We meet a scout from Toronto Blue Jays checking out local talent. My son only 9 visited with him. Another guy from Montreal baseball academy asked my son some questions. Said Brantley's baseball knowledge for 9 just watching the game was very good. Told him to practice batting right handed to become a switch hitter. Also asked what kinda bat he uses. He told my son they start there kids off with wooden bats at a young age. Asked what position he played. Told us what they were looking for in a player. He asked me a few times if I seen something wrong with players mistakes I said yea hesitation. He's like yup. Great weekend good Intel. Lots of good games. Son's got traveling team tryouts coming up here in September been working with him daily fielding and batting.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Just bought my son a wooden bat from powerhouse bats from Rochester. Small business I heard about from a wooden bat tournament. Also went last weekend to a local baseball tournament. Battle of the burgh in Plattsburgh Ny. We meet a scout from Toronto Blue Jays checking out local talent. My son only 9 visited with him. Another guy from Montreal baseball academy asked my son some questions. Said Brantley's baseball knowledge for 9 just watching the game was very good. Told him to practice batting right handed to become a switch hitter. Also asked what kinda bat he uses. He told my son they start there kids off with wooden bats at a young age. Asked what position he played. Told us what they were looking for in a player. He asked me a few times if I seen something wrong with players mistakes I said yea hesitation. He's like yup. Great weekend good Intel. Lots of good games. Son's got traveling team tryouts coming up here in September been working with him daily fielding and batting.

Nice. Are you still thinking of moving south to extend his season?

2 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Were trying hit alittle set back. Gotta have a hip replacement. Schedule for September 30. Want to make sure everything is alright. Want to find the right place for us and not just settle.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

We'll tryouts are all over for travel baseball team. Brantley did well fielding and batting, 30 yard dash. We should be hearing soon if he made the team. Seen lots of competition between the 2 tryout days. Today is the start up of instructional baseball. I paid $65 for 5 sessions which are every Sunday through end of October. They have special guests that come in and help kids work on what they need help with. One thing Brantley needs to work on is arm strength he's holding back. He's so small kids 9-10 u are bigger then him and he's 10. Coaches asked him how old he was and what grade he's in. He said 10 which he turned on 9/11 and 5 the grade. He's a lefty the coaches told him small but mighty. They liked his batting. Coach kept telling other coach look at his swing. This is all about development and I hope this helps out. I think it will be good for him.

We'll tryouts are all over for travel baseball team. Brantley did well fielding and batting, 30 yard dash. We should be hearing soon if he made the team. Seen lots of competition between the 2 tryout days. Today is the start up of instructional baseball. I paid $65 for 5 sessions which are every Sunday through end of October. They have special guests that come in and help kids work on what they need help with. One thing Brantley needs to work on is arm strength he's holding back. He's so small kids 9-10 u are bigger then him and he's 10. Coaches asked him how old he was and what grade he's in. He said 10 which he turned on 9/11 and 5 the grade. He's a lefty the coaches told him small but mighty. They liked his batting. Coach kept telling other coach look at his swing. This is all about development and I hope this helps out. I think it will be good for him.

$65 for 5 sessions?!? Wow!!! Great price.
I know a guy who charges $2 a minute (that is literally his price structure!) and he has a revolving door of clients ages 9-14 using the schools cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

$65 for 5 sessions?!? Wow!!! Great price.
I know a guy who charges $2 a minute (that is literally his price structure!) and he has a revolving door of clients ages 9-14 using the schools cage.

Wow that crazy but if people really want it they'll pay. Yes this is fall ball waiting to see if they have indoor during winter. Waiting to see what the billing is like for travel team. Seen all the apparel sweatshirts personalized bat bags etc. They actually went through quite a bit of training and are also keeping it fun for kids. Coaches are great. Right now instructional is for 9-12. 9-10 are together training and 11-12. Definitely glad I signed him up for this. Seems like he is really enjoying it.

• Like 1

Guess this no longer qualifies as youth baseball , my boys first college game  and he started the first game of the fall season. Beyond proud, he pitched first 2 innings, couple strikeouts, gave up no runs. We traveled to play away at Bard college. This college baseball is legit and players / coaches all around are fantastic. Such a pleasure to watch.

20221001_113409.jpg

Screenshot_20221001_131158_Instagram.jpg

• Like 5

Guess this no longer qualifies as youth baseball , my boys first college game  and he started the first game of the fall season. Beyond proud, he pitched first 2 innings, couple strikeouts, gave up no runs. We traveled to play away at Bard college. This college baseball is legit and players / coaches all around are fantastic. Such a pleasure to watch.
20221001_113409.thumb.jpg.e7011e55a482773156fd1b6526bf4db3.jpg
Screenshot_20221001_131158_Instagram.thumb.jpg.0a912449d3111adf29dfc00ea0487b69.jpg

Atta boy!!!! Awesome that he got a start as a freshman!

We just started this new organization that gets looked at. We have practice every Sunday 9-12 thru Oct 25 and hopefully winter ball. Then up again in February. We'll see my boy likes it. He just got a brand new glove which will last till highschool I guarantee lol. Money well spent. Hunting season is coming on Brantley is showing more interest. 

18 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I cant say for sure, college ball in general is all new to me...lol.. the games are legit but I'm sure not as serious as the spring season

Did a little googling. Looks like exhibition so they don't count in the standings for the spring. Great experience nonetheless.

14 hours ago, BizCT said:

Did a little googling. Looks like exhibition so they don't count in the standings for the spring. Great experience nonetheless.

Spot on, spoke to my son and the games don't count towards the spring  season.  But like you mentioned a great experience  and probably some of the same teams they would be facing in the spring. I'm just so thrilled that he started and as a freshman able to compete at such a high level against seasoned seniors, juniors etc...BTW CMSV Dolphins swept the double header, we won both games, 5 to 2 and 8 to 2...

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 7:21 AM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

No worries with arm strength. My son never threw with a full pitching motion, he kinda brought his arm halfway pack then threw, hence giving up some speed. Finally this summer at 14 he’s finally come around to a full motion. He hasn’t had a pitch lesson in years btw so this has been a natural progression. He was always the 3-5 best pitcher on his teams and now he’s moving up the depth charts for pitching. This games start to matter more going into hs than 12u and under. So really no worries imo.

Throw a football with him, basically a weighted ball, thats a great fun way to build arm strength and sprinkle in some long toss. 

Another awesome pitching option is the Mustard App. Created by Tom House. Its free and has arm care stretching videos and more. You can video your sons pitching motion and forward to them for evaluation and it tells you what to do for areas of improvement. Its a must have app imo. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

20221001_113409.jpg

Screenshot_20221001_131158_Instagram.jpg

How fun it must be watching,  congrats!! Keep posting em up here!

11 minutes ago, Zag said:

How fun it must be watching,  congrats!! Keep posting em up here!

Thx. An extreme pleasure to watch these young men, the amount of talent across the board is amazing. The pitching, the hitting, diving plays,  over the head outfield catches, double plays , etc.....it's nuts at this level. 

And the fields are amazing.

Screenshot_20221002_110941_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zag said:

No worries with arm strength. My son never threw with a full pitching motion, he kinda brought his arm halfway pack then threw, hence giving up some speed. Finally this summer at 14 he’s finally come around to a full motion. He hasn’t had a pitch lesson in years btw so this has been a natural progression. He was always the 3-5 best pitcher on his teams and now he’s moving up the depth charts for pitching. This games start to matter more going into hs than 12u and under. So really no worries imo.

Throw a football with him, basically a weighted ball, thats a great fun way to build arm strength and sprinkle in some long toss. 

Another awesome pitching option is the Mustard App. Created by Tom House. Its free and has arm care stretching videos and more. You can video your sons pitching motion and forward to them for evaluation and it tells you what to do for areas of improvement. Its a must have app imo. 

Will try that thanks for the recommendations. Baseball this morning 37 degrees sunny with wind. Today they did game simulations. Base running , fielding grounders and over shoulder pop flys. They also explained and corrected fundamentals. Man I felt for the kids stingers off bats and with fielding the ball. Definitely hard to keep the hands warm. They all stuck it out. Good day of baseball.

• Like 1

We just started this new organization that gets looked at. We have practice every Sunday 9-12 thru Oct 25 and hopefully winter ball. Then up again in February. We'll see my boy likes it. He just got a brand new glove which will last till highschool I guarantee lol. Money well spent. Hunting season is coming on Brantley is showing more interest. 

My two cents:
If he is hoping to pitch, help him develop consistency of delivery and mechanics and throw strikes. Don't teach a curveball until he consistently can throw 2 seem and 4 seem fastball and a change up for strikes. Proper warm up and stretch and postgame ice and maintenance is important too.
Besides the traditional curveball not being great for his arm (especially since they don't typically throw it right), young kids rely on it too much cause it's sexy! All the while they are not developing control of fastball and change up. The older he gets, the curveball is not nearly as effective as locating fastballs and following it with a change and an occasional hook

• Like 1