Youth baseball thread

Zag

Supposed to have our first game @ letchworth on monday. 10U, team looks to be pretty good this year. Im helping coach this year even though baseball isnt really my thing. 

FSW is Commissioner of Lechtworth Baseball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Haha...corked bats, 190’ fences but only 3’ High, HGH with every pack of Big League Chew!

Haha. Or leaves the grass super long in the infield and makes first base only 57’ instead of 60’ and his team bunts for 14 hits per game?

Haha. Or leaves the grass super long in the infield and makes first base only 57’ instead of 60’ and his team bunts for 14 hits per game?

No no...the BIG BUCK of LL baseball is the Home run....bunting is the spike.

• Like 1

Local Double header today...lost a sloppy game one and ended game two in a 2-2 tie. My boy had bases loaded with 2 outs and was robbed by a diving catch in righter center.
Same son did have a 3 pitch inning (ground out to 3rd, short, weak fly ball to center) which is always rewarded with a steak dinner-hence the dinner thread.
Other son caught a great game one (threw out a kid and made a great scoop at the plate to save a run) but struggling at the plate. This is the boy that is rowing crew 5 days a week after school so hitting is going to suffer. Still sucks to watch him get frustrated even when he understands why it’s happening.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Got the schedule. So it begins
e6509ec2190cc7deee281572d5bcbe9c.jpg

That's a walk in the park!! My son has 30 left between now and June 16th, that doesn't include any playoff games. :-)

4 have been cancelled and rescheduled so far :-(

Have 4 kids, oldest boy 17  does Karate, daughter 12 does softball and is on 2 teams,  10 year old boy is in a 10 month soccer travel program and plays on 2 teams for 2 leagues (he cant get enough of it), my 14 year old  boy made his HS varsity team as a freshman and  is holding his own against kids 3-4 years older then him. He already has 2 HS wins under his belt with his last outing last week with 10 strikeouts and pick off at first. Heres pic. Of my 14 yr. old pitching.

20190320_171652.jpg

• Like 3

Have 4 kids, oldest boy 17  does Karate, daughter 12 does softball and is on 2 teams,  10 year old boy is in a 10 month soccer travel program and plays on 2 teams for 2 leagues (he cant get enough of it), my 14 year old  boy made his HS varsity team as a freshman and  is holding his own against kids 3-4 years older then him. He already has 2 HS wins under his belt with his last outing last week with 10 strikeouts and pick off at first. Heres pic. Of my 14 yr. old pitching.
20190320_171652.thumb.jpg.bc37722a28b981ab9f2296875d4f9062.jpg

Love the high leg kick and ANGER in the eyes!!! Big boy!!!

20190320_171652.thumb.jpg.bc37722a28b981ab9f2296875d4f9062.jpg

Looks like he’s got good deception. I bet the hand/ball goes behind his head for a split second too, which will drive HS batters nuts

10 hours ago, crappyice said:

Love the high leg kick and ANGER in the eyes!!! Big boy!!!

When he gets on that mound hes stoned face and is all business. Off the mound hes an A+ student and a goofball at home...lol...sure is big at 14 hes passed me and im 5'10" .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Looks like he’s got good deception. I bet the hand/ball goes behind his head for a split second too, which will drive HS batters nuts

He hides the ball  all the time and  prior to release ( like you said high and behind him ).  He throws nothing at all  that will manipulate his arm ( i make sure of that) . Being a lefty he has natural movement to the ball, his fast ball approaches 80mph and throws a change up and that's about it. If he keeps the ball at your knees hes unhittable.  His pick off move as a lefty has taken so many kids by surprise that some have been caught just standing with thier pants down and dont have a clue what just happened...lol..its priceless. And many runners have been stuck in a run down between first and second. 

Edited by NYBowhunter
  • Like 1

He hides the ball  all the time and  prior to release ( like you said high and behind him ).  He throws nothing at all  that will manipulate his arm ( i make sure of that) . Being a lefty he has natural movement to the ball, his fast ball approaches 80mph and throws a change up and that's about it. If he keeps the ball at your knees hes unhittable.  His pick off move as a lefty has taken so many kids by surprise that some have been caught just standing with thier pants down and dont have a clue what just happened...lol..its priceless. And many runners have been stuck in a run down between first and second. 

You’re doing the right thing, sounds great!

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You’re doing the right thing, sounds great!

Thx, lots of work since hes 5 and i loved every minute. Now at HS level hes pretty much out of my grasp, not a baby anymore.. He loves the game and as long as he wants to play ill continue to do what i can to help him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

20190320_171652.jpg

i call shenanigans on that kid being 14! 

congrats to the fam. you're doing it right!

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im driving out to Jamestown for a game tonight, theyre calling for rain at 7 if it come s early I'm going to be torqued

Hopefully you will get a couple innings in. Last week i sat through four innings in a cold drizzle watching my girl play softball. Cold and wet i still enjoyed watching her play. With 3 brothers shes tuff as nails.

Resized_20180822_164846_7687.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Belo said:

i call shenanigans on that kid being 14! 

congrats to the fam. you're doing it right!

Thanks, hes big for sure but when playing against 17 and 18 year olds that look like men, they make my son look small....lol...but thank God he holds his own. 

Well we got tonights game in, he pitched the first 2 innings. Gave up one hit and one un- earned run on a fielder's error. Batted 2 for 3 (single and double) and 2 rbi's. Towards the end of the game I was fantasizing about a hot tub to sit in afterwards.

• Like 1

f21fe090d47ede492a61aefef8fbf384.jpg&key=afe9188630a50d3e61ff1f1b570489875858a658eeb69e98585bb956d714528e

2-7 this weekend was clearly not

good enough for him. This session is after school practice and a 30 minute video review of weekend at bats with his hitting coach(who is my neighbor and runs hitting lessons from his garage).

Take notice of where this happens and why I can’t bother making nice grass/seating areas in backyard...that’s Mrs Crappy’s new swing in the background, the fire ring and firewood-hitting into an old driving range net strung between two trees.

• Like 3