Youth baseball thread

Zag

First game of the year vs Letchworth/Bliss. We had a very large lead so the head coach put my son into pitch...walked a handful of batters, hit two and struck 1 out. He likes pitching but has to get consistent with his motions. At bat he was tagged out off a fluke play, pitch was going to hit him so he turned and ducked. The ball hit the bottom of his bat and dropped in front of the plate. Catcher tagged him. He also got walked twice and hit a single. Good first game to get the jitters out. This is 10u btw.

20190429_193030.jpg

20190429_193044.jpg

• Like 4

f21fe090d47ede492a61aefef8fbf384.jpg&key=afe9188630a50d3e61ff1f1b570489875858a658eeb69e98585bb956d714528e
2-7 this weekend was clearly not
good enough for him. This session is after school practice and a 30 minute video review of weekend at bats with his hitting coach(who is my neighbor and runs hitting lessons from his garage).
Take notice of where this happens and why I can’t bother making nice grass/seating areas in backyard...that’s Mrs Crappy’s new swing in the background, the fire ring and firewood-hitting into an old driving range net strung between two trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit soft toss for years in my grandfather’s garage into a net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

First game of the year vs Letchworth/Bliss. We had a very large lead so the head coach put my son into pitch...walked a handful of batters, hit two and struck 1 out. He likes pitching but has to get consistent with his motions. At bat he was tagged out off a fluke play, pitch was going to hit him so he turned and ducked. The ball hit the bottom of his bat and dropped in front of the plate. Catcher tagged him. He also got walked twice and hit a single. Good first game to get the jitters out. This is 10u btw.

20190429_193030.jpg

20190429_193044.jpg

10u started to get fun to watch at times. You could start to see some of the kids really make some strides. 

• Like 2

We got another one in tonight, beat Frontier. Emma had an epic 11 pitch battle with her travel teammate but finally struck out. She also singled to right and reached on an error and a walk. 7649fe1ac8ddd1889f70467f81794eb8.jpg&key=8e7bc415109954005cc9f985dede029bff3a528fbccca51ea5c48fd89683ca02

11 pitches!!! Atta girl!!!

Strike three was waaaaaaaaaaay outside. I hate that. Call high and low strikes all you want but not unreachable pitches. Dad rant over lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hated those. I crowded the plate and still couldn’t reach some pitches with a 32” bat that’s how far outside they were. My late grandfather used to videotape all my games from behind home plate on a tripod. I would go check the cam after at bats. It was very helpful

• Like 1

I hated those. I crowded the plate and still couldn’t reach some pitches with a 32” bat that’s how far outside they were. My late grandfather used to videotape all my games from behind home plate on a tripod. I would go check the cam after at bats. It was very helpful

Stay in the dugout!! Don’t be THAT KID!!

Stay in the dugout!! Don’t be THAT KID!!

What dugout? These were the days of the fence cage. Check your swing footage, adjust accordingly and rake! I’ve had around 10 career ejections in my youth baseball days

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just hated to see that battle end with that call. If it was high or low, fine, but not a pitch a kid cant possibly reach. Sadly they all are taught that with 2 strikes if you can possibly put the bat on it youd better do it, dont leave it to the umpire

Sometimes the strike zone is fairly inconsistent that's for sure. I've seen some lousy calls that's for sure. I usually make it a point to thank the ump's each game anyways.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zag said:

Sometimes the strike zone is fairly inconsistent that's for sure. I've seen some lousy calls that's for sure. I usually make it a point to thank the ump's each game anyways.

Agreed. I dont mind a big strike zone, just not way outside. They play Lancaster tonight hopefully the rain holds off

Agreed. I dont mind a big strike zone, just not way outside. They play Lancaster tonight hopefully the rain holds off

Be consistent!! And then I will say thank you!!! One of my boys is a catcher so when he gets punched out on a questionable strike he’s super pissed. Catchers know the ump’s zone better than anyone. This past weekend he framed his pitchers pitch waiting for the strike three call-when it didn’t come he turned around like “WTF?!?”
His next at bat, he got punched out on a ball that bounce right after the plate.
Lessons learned!!! Car conversation: yes he missed a strike call...no it wasn’t a strike on you...NEVER show up the ump and if you do expect retaliation.
Another crappy part of the game.

• Like 2

They just got four innings in before it was called, absolute monsoon the entire game. Emma walked and had a nice hard line drive single to right. She smoked it over first base and the RF was right there I couldn’t believe it lol. It had triple written all over it

• Like 2

1st Middle School win (5-1) today for my 8th grader on the bump. Complete 6inning game, 74 pitches, 10 strike outs, no walks, no earned runs. 2-4 at the dish and his best swing/hit was a loud deep out to left. Full disclosure - weak opponent but he did his job and better yet his hitting confidence is up.

• Like 4

1st Middle School win (5-1) today for my 8th grader on the bump. Complete 6inning game, 74 pitches, 10 strike outs, no walks, no earned runs. 2-4 at the dish and his best swing/hit was a loud deep out to left. Full disclosure - weak opponent but he did his job and better yet his hitting confidence is up.

Outstanding!

Got thru 1 1/2 innings before they called it due to rain. He had one at bat and on a 0-2 count hit one over the center fielder for a double and drove in 2 runs.

Edited by zag
  • Like 1

Ok guys let’s stop bashing the umpires! I am an umpire and pride my self on consistency  (we’ll try too). I’m not too keen on calling the extreme outside pitch a strike. I work with guys that call that. It’s not the outside pitch’s that I don’t like to see it’s the shoulder hight strikes. I will admit I will call the strike below the knee! If an umpire calls high strikes I my opinion causes bad mechanics in the kids game.  

Thank goodness most high schools in my area of wny are upgrading to turf fields because this rain sucks! I feel bad for these kids that can’t play.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cory said:

Ok guys let’s stop bashing the umpires! I am an umpire and pride my self on consistency  (we’ll try too). I’m not too keen on calling the extreme outside pitch a strike. I work with guys that call that. It’s not the outside pitch’s that I don’t like to see it’s the shoulder hight strikes. I will admit I will call the strike below the knee! If an umpire calls high strikes I my opinion causes bad mechanics in the kids game.  

Thank goodness most high schools in my area of wny are upgrading to turf fields because this rain sucks! I feel bad for these kids that can’t play.

The one we had breifly tonight was great, he actually ran to 2nd base to call a play. I thanked him and said it's good to see a ump running to watch the tag. He said he's new and I told him to keep doing what he's doing!

We had an ump try to EJECT a 7th grade today for excessive contact at a play at the plate. Kid slid into the catcher who was slightly off the line. Clearly out and then he starts violently ejecting this kid. Catcher says, “for what? It’s all good!” Thankfully the base ump overruled the ejection(ever see that before!).

Calling balls and strike is Such a hard job especially when you have kids bouncing balls all around you and catcher diving out of the way. I absolutely appreciate the effort of all inks!

50 minutes ago, zag said:

The one we had breifly tonight was great, he actually ran to 2nd base to call a play. I thanked him and said it's good to see a ump running to watch the tag. He said he's new and I told him to keep doing what he's doing!

I’m in no way knocking any of my fellow umpires. I am 37 and can still run with the varsity players I love working the bases because I work with a lot of older gentlemen who have trouble running the bases. Their heart is in it they really care just can’t keep up physically. Now I’ve worked with older gentleman who have said to me you shouldn’t be running into bases so fast your going to miss the call. Then I tell them how do you make a call 30 get away? I have really enjoyed umpiring the last 7 years!

• Like 2