Youth baseball thread

Zag

15 hours ago, crappyice said:

Are you at a tourney? Local or one of the big ones(Aberdeen; Baseball Heaven; Simone nation etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone is playing tourneys, my boy just finished up HS ball and for the summer will be playing strictly tournaments, mostly at diamond nation, baseball heaven and some other venues in NJ and long island. 

56 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Great shot (hat not included!) fields look awesome

I’m a die hard yanks fan and it kills me that I have to put that hat on when coaching . Infield is great outfield still a little soggy. But I have to take my hat off to league because they have been working there asses off to get these diamonds in playing shape.

Grandson played first HS game of the year on Friday, after coming back from injury. (Winged Scapula, not a throwing injury) Played a solid first base and made a couple sweet defensive plays. Went 0 for 3 at the plate, two strike outs and a deep fly ball to center, that was caught.

Four more school games this week, then on to A1 Travel. He threw a couple balls at 87 and 88mph during practice, "on the gun". He may pitch a couple of innings this week. SLOWLY, working back to pitching.

If he stays healthy, may take him to a combine down in Florida. Varsity Coach says he will be throwing at least mid 90s by senior year. He's a freshman now, just turned 15, 6'5" 215 lbs. Has five pitches, two seam fb, slider, cutter, baby curve for now, and of course the off speed pitch.

Also a gifted football player. Offensive and defensive end.

• Like 2

Grandson played first HS game of the year on Friday, after coming back from injury. (Winged Scapula, not a throwing injury) Played a solid first base and made a couple sweet defensive plays. Went 0 for 3 at the plate, two strike outs and a deep fly ball to center, that was caught.
Four more school games this week, then on to A1 Travel. He threw a couple balls at 87 and 88mph during practice, "on the gun". He may pitch a couple of innings this week. SLOWLY, working back to pitching.
If he stays healthy, may take him to a combine down in Florida. Varsity Coach says he will be throwing at least mid 90s by senior year. He's a freshman now, just turned 15, 6'5" 215 lbs. Has five pitches, two seam fb, slider, cutter, baby curve for now, and of course the off speed pitch.

Holy stats Batman! Boys still growing too I bet! One hell of a food bill

If anyone is playing tourneys, my boy just finished up HS ball and for the summer will be playing strictly tournaments, mostly at diamond nation, baseball heaven and some other venues in NJ and long island. 

We are at Diamond Nation (not my favorite place but good basebal) Weekend of June 28

Well they added a tournament this coming weekend so reg season games, Mon and wed, the tourney game Thur, 2 sat and Sundays games depend on how we play. So our weekend camping may be scrapped.

Pick 1 sport and go all-in

• Like 1

Not sure how i missed this thread! this is great! Thanks for starting it..

My step son has been playing his whole life.. Just as I did. I love watching him and coaching him off the field.. This year is modified..  I will say when he started out in the minors and early majors, he did so with a little less interest in the sport.. But this season and last he has grabbed a hold of the game and really kicked a$$. He is top 3 on the team now, easily. Plays every position on the field.. including pitcher and catcher.. He holds 3rd base and pitcher mostly..  

He holds the most rbi's on the team more than double the amount of rbi's as the 2nd guy in rank  and a batting average of over .700 currently with zero strike outs

Just have to say im glad he chose baseball..     

• Like 4

May I make a bold statement and say you, sir, are wrong. Having a dynamic athlete trumps a solid single sport player especially at the younger levels(High school is still a younger level).
Too many PARENTS see “greatest” in one area and kill their kids’ love of sports too early trying to make the next Tiger Woods through specialization.

The cause of Grampy’s handle is the prime example. He may be showing some stud stats on the baseball field but he also plays footballs,etc. I guarantee his baseball is improved through his playing football.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

May I make a bold statement and say you, sir, are wrong. Having a dynamic athlete trumps a solid single sport player especially at the younger levels(High school is still a younger level).
Too many PARENTS see “greatest” in one area and kill their kids’ love of sports too early trying to make the next Tiger Woods through specialization.

The cause of Grampy’s handle is the prime example. He may be showing some stud stats on the baseball field but he also plays footballs,etc. I guarantee his baseball is improved through his playing football.

100% agree. Not till high school in my opinion does it become important to become more focused, and that's honestly only if your kid is truly starting to shine and has scholarship potential. Let kids have fun, help them to be well rounded, meet more friends and know that a lot of skills learned in any sport easily translate to others.

100% agree. Not till high school in my opinion does it become important to become more focused, and that's honestly only if your kid is truly starting to shine and has scholarship potential. Let kids have fun, help them to be well rounded, meet more friends and know that a lot of skills learned in any sport easily translate to others.

And even if your kid is “going to make it” s/he will only benefit from the other sports. Baseball especially(fairly sedentary sport comparatively speaking)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Love the left fielders “ready stance!” Real umps at that level is impressive

yeah poor zoomed in picture. not an ump, he's one of the coaches. In webster developmental all the kids are on the field and they go through the order or 3 outs (which never happens haha). 1st inning tee then coach pitch. kids are really just having fun and learning the basics. 

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

He can do both for now. The last couple years he's been playing above his age group, in both baseball and football. Last year as a freshman, he played varsity football, on an AAA school, and was even voted a captain by his team mates. Travel A1 baseball, he will be playing with 17\18 year olds.

No ego at all, a coaches dream, as he listens, works hard, and always gives more than what's asked of him. Hits the weights most every day. Already a couple of university's showing interest. But we are taking things easy for now. One step at a time. Got a couple years before deciding on a University. Just concentrating on HS ball. And him having fun playing.

• Like 2

Fun is what it's about, one sport ,two sports or three sports . I see to many parents who think there kid is the next Derek Jeter.  Those dads are past gym glass heroes, nothing more then living through there children now putting tons of pressure on them

Grampy , does he go to guilderland. congrats on his young success.  I'll keep an eye out in the TU ...

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

Fun is what it's about, one sport ,two sports or three sports . I see to many parents who think there kid is the next Derek Jeter.  Those dads are past gym glass heroes, nothing more then living through there children now putting tons of pressure on them

Grampy , does he go to guilderland. congrats on his young success.  I'll keep an eye out in the TU ...

Yes, Gulderland. They have a great program here. It's also where I work. That's nice cause I hear feedback from his coaches. Especially Dan Penna, the head coach of varsity football. A wonderful man, teacher, and coach.

It really is all about having fun for him. Always has been. He has loved baseball since T Ball. Would cry when games were rained out.......lol. Never have any of us put any pressure on him. He does that enough himself. He works year round on improving his skills. But we keep him grounded, and don't look too far ahead. We would be thrilled if he gets a partial scholarship to a university he likes, to play ball, and continue to have fun with the game and his team mates. No more than that.

Best of all he's a great hunting buddy for his grampy!!!!  In that, he'll always be my all-star.

• Like 1

Another close rec game. He walked, grounded out and hit a double, I was hoping the wind would carry it for a HR. His last at bat top of the 6th 2 outs tying run on third and he struck out. Have to say I was proud of how he handled himself, pretty upset but held it together at least till we made it to the truck!

• Like 2