Youth baseball thread

Zag

May I make a bold statement and say you, sir, are wrong. Having a dynamic athlete trumps a solid single sport player especially at the younger levels(High school is still a younger level).

Too many PARENTS see “greatest” in one area and kill their kids’ love of sports too early trying to make the next Tiger Woods through specialization.

The cause of Grampy’s handle is the prime example. He may be showing some stud stats on the baseball field but he also plays footballs,etc. I guarantee his baseball is improved through his playing football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree except he seems to have several injuries. He’s a got a much better chance to get drafted by MLB out of HS if he actually plays. Injuries in Hs cost kids several rounds which is lots of $$.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I would agree except he seems to have several injuries. He’s a got a much better chance to get drafted by MLB out of HS if he actually plays. Injuries in Hs cost kids several rounds which is lots of $$.

His injury (only one) was caused by him growing too big, too fast. He just turned 15 a month ago.

Not even remotely thinking $$$ or turning pro at this point............lol  

His injury (only one) was caused by him growing too big, too fast. He just turned 15 a month ago.
Not even remotely thinking $$$ or turning pro at this point............lol  

Oh ok, then yea stick with multi sports

I have to say once  you reach HS im not sure how kids could possibly play multiple sports. My son  that plays Varsity Baseball had practice almost daily after schoo and with games during the week and a few on weekends, also  playing in school band and being in an accelerated law program  i couldn't  possibly see where he would find anytime to play another sport. When younger my boys played soccer and baseball, but eventually they found their true passion and stuck to one. My boys are not in it for the $$ either, but once you reach HS at this stage they should  choose a sport and try to excel in it.  Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

it's based on season. I was a 3 sport athlete until Junior year. Football in the fall, basketball in the winter and track in the spring. What some would advocate for, is that you skip football and track and join travel basketball leagues or whatever. The time commitment is the same, or worse, but you're focusing on a single sport.

I also gave up on the trumpet as a sophomore and boyscouts in 8th grade. Things have to give and I was working part time to put gas in the car and also became obsessed with the opposite sex lol.

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

it's based on season. I was a 3 sport athlete until Junior year. Football in the fall, basketball in the winter and track in the spring. What some would advocate for, is that you skip football and track and join travel basketball leagues or whatever. The time commitment is the same, or worse, but you're focusing on a single sport.

I also gave up on the trumpet as a sophomore and boyscouts in 8th grade. Things have to give and I was working part time to put gas in the car and also became obsessed with the opposite sex lol.

Definitely hear you on the hormones, my  boys are girl crazy...lol..my 14 year old loves baseball and for last few years thats been his sole passion, playing ball for 3 seasons (sprimg, summer and fall), takes a 2 month break then goes into the gym for wimter clinics. When kids get to that level of commitment in any sport, it makes it hard to play another.

14 minutes ago, zag said:

So basically my son playing spring, summer and fall baseball, then football and basketball will be harder to pull off as he gets older, boo

Yes and as they throw harder, longer thier bodies, muscles need to heal from the rigors of all that ball playing. Between end of fall ball and start up of winter clinics is a 2-3 month break, my boy  doesnt touch a ball for that break. Very important as they get older, that the body needs to heal, especially for pitchers and catchers. And  if your kid pitches, ice his/her arm after every game. 

Edited by NYBowhunter
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zag said:

So basically my son playing spring, summer and fall baseball, then football and basketball will be harder to pull off as he gets older, boo

As they get older and competition gets stronger, it becomes a time management issue. My grandson played fall travel baseball, and HS football the last two years. Was WAY too much!!! Always had a practice or game to go to. And academics began to slip a little.  And only got out to hunt for very few times a year. This year, no fall travel baseball. Will concentrate on HS football, and hope to get him out more for his first deer this year!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

yes

Good game today for my son. 3-3 multi RBI at the plate. Played short stop (first time ever-doesn’t have the range or quickness IMO) and had multiple put-outs and no errors. He usually plays the corners if not pitching. He ended up closing out the game as well. 2 run lead; inherited a man on first and had to face batters 2, 3, 4(all play on his travel team but go to a neighboring school. K; groundout to 3rd and pop out to second. Think he threw more warmup pitches than game pitches.

9e24c487d8387f9a16d23012c0ac63b6.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:51 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Ron Darling made a comment about this a few years back when asked about the frequency of Tommy John surgery now in MLB.  That back in the day, athletes played multiple sports.  Now, when a kid has a special talent, they focus just on that one talent.  Then they circumvent the limitations little league have by enrolling their kids into two or even three little leagues so they get to play more.  That is why now today almost every team has someone that can throw 100 mph when back in 80's and 90's, if you threw 96 you were out of this world.  But it's also why almost every other pitcher gets Tommy John surgery before they're 30.

• Like 2

Ron Darling made a comment about this a few years back when asked about the frequency of Tommy John surgery now in MLB.  That back in the day, athletes played multiple sports.  Now, when a kid has a special talent, they focus just on that one talent.  Then they circumvent the limitations little league have by enrolling their kids into two or even three little leagues so they get to play more.  That is why now today almost every team has someone that can throw 100 mph when back in 80's and 90's, if you threw 96 you were out of this world.  But it's also why almost every other pitcher gets Tommy John surgery before they're 30.

Better off getting TJ in HS even if you don’t need it yet.

Just recently a HS pitcher opted for japan and $7M. He can comeback to MLB at 25 years old. Got the guaranteed $

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 9:01 PM, crappyice said:

Good game today for my son. 3-3 multi RBI at the plate. Played short stop (first time ever-doesn’t have the range or quickness IMO) and had multiple put-outs and no errors. He usually plays the corners if not pitching. He ended up closing out the game as well. 2 run lead; inherited a man on first and had to face batters 2, 3, 4(all play on his travel team but go to a neighboring school. K; groundout to 3rd and pop out to second. Think he threw more warmup pitches than game pitches.

9e24c487d8387f9a16d23012c0ac63b6.jpg

Solid game!! Wtg

Rain out today- quick burst of a shower right as they were getting off the bus and wrecked the fields. Bergen County Memorial Sy tourney this weekend.......8:30 and 10:30 Sat...1 game Sunday and then we will see if we are around for championship Monday.

Played a local tourney game tonight and won. Son played pretty well, pop up, double and a strike out, I think 2 rbi's. Pitched the last two innings and struggled again, not pitching with any speed, enough that other parents were asking if he was ok. After the game he said it hurts behind his throwing shoulder, something he's mentioned the last couple times, I just assumed he was making an excuse. Not sure where to go from here, Dr James Andrew's? 

Edited by zag

Played a local tourney game tonight and won. Son played pretty well, pop up, double and a strike out, I think 2 rbi's. Pitched the last two innings and struggled again, not pitching with any speed, enough that other parents were asking if he was ok. After the game he said it hurts behind his throwing shoulder, something he's mentioned the last couple times, I just assumed he was making an excuse. Not sure where to go from here, Dr James Andrew? 

Ice 20 on 20 off and develop a really good stretching and warm up routine. Be careful with pitch count and do not play with the days of rest. Days after he pitches he should not do any long toss with the team just some light throwing.

• Like 1

Played a local tourney game tonight and won. Son played pretty well, pop up, double and a strike out, I think 2 rbi's. Pitched the last two innings and struggled again, not pitching with any speed, enough that other parents were asking if he was ok. After the game he said it hurts behind his throwing shoulder, something he's mentioned the last couple times, I just assumed he was making an excuse. Not sure where to go from here, Dr James Andrew's? 

Playit Sade and do Tommy John surgery now. He’ll be fine in 18 months and won’t need another for 7-10 years

Emma's JV team had a three pitch inning that started with a single, pretty rare lol. It went single, line drive to second and they doubled the girl off first, pop up to catcher

STEAK DINNER for the pitcher is our rule. Seems like the IF gets some of that too this time

• Like 1