Youth baseball thread

Zag

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sometimes the ump needs a wake up call. High fastball and catcher gets “crossed up” and never catches it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be totally uncalled for considering these kids dont get paid to play ball and umps aren't getting rich. I will however make it known to the ump  if he continues to make bad calls.  One of the umps in our championship game this past weekend  thought the opposing team only had one out, he actually looked back at the parents (us) because we were telling him no its two outs. He actually signaled over the the fielding ump for help and the ump held up 2 fingers. Some of these guys cant even calll a strike zone let alone keep track of outs. But i have to say for the most part the umps do an okay job. 

That would be totally uncalled for considering these kids dont get paid to play ball and umps aren't getting rich. I will however make it known to the ump  if he continues to make bad calls.  One of the umps in our championship game this past weekend  thought the opposing team only had one out, he actually looked back at the parents (us) because we were telling him no its two outs. He actually signaled over the the fielding ump for help and the ump held up 2 fingers. Some of these guys cant even calll a strike zone let alone keep track of outs. But i have to say for the most part the umps do an okay job. 

I was joking lol

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I was joking lol

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I was joking lol

Oh okay because getting pegged by a ball at 80 mph would not tickle...lol..the ump did take one to the grill off the catchers glove,  even with the mask he looked shooken up for a while. Alot of these umps take a beaten back there.

9 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

I hate when umps open up the strike zone, it does absolutely nothing to help these kids progress  in the game. The only thing that does is confuse them and to teach them to  swing at pitches they have no reason swinging at. I understand the protect on a 2 strike count, but some of these umps are blatantly outside the zone. Trust me when i say that some of the calls dont get better as the kids age, i saw a few calls on strikes this past weekend where the ball was biting the kids ankle, how can any kid swing at that. The only thing i can say is that atleast the ump was consistent with both sides...lol

Agreed, this ump was on the older side, he didn't even bend over the catcher each pitch, he just stood there.

• Sad 1

Pretty sure I just need to not go to my kids games! Ran up with my buddy for some fly fishing after work and skipped a school game.
Boys crushed it according to their recaps. 4 good innings pitched (3 unearned runs-school ball equals some sloppy defense). Other one pitched 1 1/3 no runs.
Down 3-0 top of 6th- lead off walks and my kid crushed a double to left center. 4 batter struck out then my other son hits a hard shot knocked down by 3rd basemen and beats the throw scoring both on an over throw to first. He advanced to 3rd on wild pitch and scored on a suicide squeeze to tie it up.
Bottom 6- lead off reaches with a double- strike out but stole 3rd. Coach decides to walk the bases loaded (GREAT call vs 3 & 4 hitters who play with my kids on travel). Hard shot to my kid at 3rd- out at home. Strike out for 3rd out.
Umps ended it after the 6th in a 3-3 tie.

• Like 1

Big tournament today in perry. We are the #1 team coming in. I believe the only undefeated team coming in. Beat the other undefeated team yeasterday 16-1. Our pitching is unreal, we had a 9 pitch inning followed by a different pitcher throw a 8 pitch inning. My son crushed a big triple that brought in 3 runs. We win our 3 games today and we get 3 more tomorrow, hopefully playing for the championship tomorrow. Then we have a game monday. Possible 8 games in 4 days. 

• Like 2

Good luck to the team zeek! That's a lot of games and innings on those young arms in a short time. Always a balance of advancing with good pitching, and saving a couple goods arms, should you get to the championship game. Can never have enough pitching at this level. Teams with three or four good pitchers, and one or two lights out kids, usually do very well in the tournaments.

56 minutes ago, grampy said:

Good luck to the team zeek! That's a lot of games and innings on those young arms in a short time. Always a balance of advancing with good pitching, and saving a couple goods arms, should you get to the championship game. Can never have enough pitching at this level. Teams with three or four good pitchers, and one or two lights out kids, usually do very well in the tournaments.

Today they can pitch a max of 4 innings, tomorrow is a max 3 innings. So pitching will be the big factor in winning the tournament. We have 3 kids that can pitch and win us a few games. We have 1 kid that can beat any team we get put against . So the strategy of saving him for when we need him is huge.

• Like 1

Today they can pitch a max of 4 innings, tomorrow is a max 3 innings. So pitching will be the big factor in winning the tournament. We have 3 kids that can pitch and win us a few games. We have 1 kid that can beat any team we get put against . So the strategy of saving him for when we need him is huge.

Always a roll of the dice with pitching- we had one dad who loved to scout other teams through GameChanger and/or tournament play. If we came across a weaker hitting team one of my kids would get them since he was a consistent strike thrower- not overpowering but would always eat innings with few pitches. He ended up being a huge contributor for tourney wins due to low pitch count against weaker opponents.

• Like 1

Lost the 1st partial game, we started down 5 runs and lost by 4, son pitched well in that game. Won the 2nd game by alot, son hit fair, I think he's getting to wide a stance and is not generating enough lower half power. Hitting the cages in the am before the double header.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Beautiful here at baseball heaven, 70 and a nice breeze. We split yesterday and coming back today for our third game.

Well I'm damn jealous. I have jeans on long sleeve ua shirt and an umbrella

1 more win tonight 14-1. Got ahead and started having fun. One kid got a in the park homer off a bunt, one kid decided to hit lefty, got a single off the first pitch. First time guys playin catcher, first time guy pitching and sittin 3 down. My son got to pitch and 3 up and 3 down they go. Fun game, 1 more to go saturday in warsaw, then we have all star games. Fun year of sports so far.

• Like 1