Youth baseball thread

Zag

Got rocked last night against the best team again, son pitched less than one inning, gave up a grand slam. Hit well, had another CF shot that landed at the wall. This am is rec league playoff, if they win it's in to the championship if they lose they fall to the looser bracket and can still make it that way. 

Today we played a tournament in Staten Island at Richmond county youth Complex, great fields.  We are a 14u team but entered a 15u tournament. So far we swept thefirst  2 games we played today. My boy took the first win, pitched 6 innings, gave up only one run. Ended in the 7th with a 3-2 win. Second game pitched by our other big lefty with a 1-0 win. Thankfull for the win, the righty on the other team was throwing gas, but managed a few hits to get and keep the one run game. Tomorrow morning back at it again

• Like 1

Good deal TC! Son lost the finals game. They were down 10-1, son pitched 2 innings gave up 1 run and hit well, they started off slow and got close 11-7, now they play Thursday in the loser bracket, if they win then they head to the championship sat. Travel team got beat Fri night, son pitched had 1 strike out no walks and gave up a ton of hits including a gs, he didn't finish an inning.

Sat they lost by alot to a team that wasn't better than us, coach just pitched kids that normally don't pitch, waisted game imo.

Sunday was close, lost 8-7, son pitched the 4th, it was frustrating to watch as he kept giving up infield hits to errors, I think there was between 5&7 errors that weren't outs.

• Like 1

Wow did our travel coach screw up our schedule this season...45 mim away Wednesday at Navajo in Mahopac ; 1:20 min drive Thursday (up by Salt Point in Stanfordville!!!) and then in Windsor for a 3 game tourney this Saturday. 5 games over 4 days with 60+ minute drives....BAD START before even playing a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Wow did our travel coach screw up our schedule this season...45 mim away Wednesday at Navajo in Mahopac ; 1:20 min drive Thursday (up by Salt Point in Stanfordville!!!) and then in Windsor for a 3 game tourney this Saturday. 5 games over 4 days with 60+ minute drives....BAD START before even playing a game.

I'll be in Chicago Wednesday, otherwise I would have met you post-game somewhere in Mahopac/Yorktown. What field is the Mahopac game at? Crane Road?

I'll be in Chicago Wednesday, otherwise I would have met you post-game somewhere in Mahopac/Yorktown. What field is the Mahopac game at? Crane Road?

Navajo Facility - right up the street from the JVC mall (I think)in shrub oak

Navajo Facility - right up the street from the JVC mall (I think)in shrub oak

Oh wow. Fairly new. I had to google it. Never knew that was there

Oh wow. Fairly new. I had to google it. Never knew that was there

I’ve already scouted the surrounding woods and picked out a few trees for the climber...I have only “soft permission” from one of the coaches who trains out of there. Waiting to hear from the owner who is quite quirky (and LOADED) from what I hear.

I’ve already scouted the surrounding woods and picked out a few trees for the climber...I have only “soft permission” from one of the coaches who trains out of there. Waiting to hear from the owner who is quite quirky (and LOADED) from what I hear.

Awesome. I think that is same zip code as me, so I would get rights as well?

6 minutes ago, crappyice said:

The scoreboard operator should have some solid intel come September

• Like 1

Awesome. I think that is same zip code as me, so I would get rights as well?

I’ll check but I’m pretty sure is a tree stand land only for Charbroil users who shoot hoyts.

• Like 2

I’ll check but I’m pretty sure is a tree stand land only for Charbroil users who shoot hoyts.

Let me know. I can buy all 3 of those things this weekend

Grandson is ripping it up in A1 Travel ball. Batting over 500. Three for three tonight. And made a couple sweet plays at 1st.20190612_195936.thumb.jpg.7ece9190eaad4945c8c3d76c605c29ef.jpgLove our home field. 20190612_185239.thumb.jpg.d783d0ecd360cbc653e766d0b5802b4c.jpgFirst hit down the left field line.20190612_192845.thumb.jpg.dbc9f95a0887d9cab4f1e1a3ac4ee3ea.jpgSecond hit pulled to right field.20190612_185140.thumb.jpg.12f7ec011e1e1fb6ffba297e3f6ddca8.jpg

Last hit to right center.20190612_192739.thumb.jpg.8680101eb353ad2a9229be1064b55746.jpgInside pitch, watch it all the way to the glove.

We won 9 to 4 over a very good Albany team.

• Like 5

Finally had another game tonight. Her team lost but she had a great play at second. In all honestly it was a routine grounder to second but in her 9u division you don’t see it very often. She scooped the ball up made a great toss to first just in time to get the runner out.

Best part is she ended the game with a smile and we stopped for ice cream at the local joint on the way home.

• Like 4

Modified is over, Half the games were cancelled to to weather or poor field conditions.. Bummer cause I enjoyed watching them play. Cole our boy had best Average on the team, well over .500. Most RBI and threw several runners out at home from the outfield. He has really shown himself this year. 

Now on to Babe Ruth..

2 games done in Babe Ruth and I cannot stand watching this league.. 13-16 yr olds(Cole is 13) .. I was hoping for some action packed games with bigger kids.. the other teams play well, but ours is just not there.. too many cry babies and poor sports on the team. And i cant stand watching an ungrateful and psoiled child play ball.. I will say something one of these nights if it continues.. Coach cant control half the kids and those kids wont even listen to them or their parents even.. I may lose it.  lol. I guess its no wonder some of these kids didnt make modified for certain reasons. I do enjoy watching the kids that didnt make it due to skill, play hard here and actually try harder than these brats do. hats off to them.. I hope it gets better, or ill be watching the garden grow instead. Cole wants to quit due to his teams non sense, but we told him we didnt raise a quitter, play your heart out.. the right people will see it and one day youll be glad you did..  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Modified is over, Half the games were cancelled to to weather or poor field conditions.. Bummer cause I enjoyed watching them play. Cole our boy had best Average on the team, well over .500. Most RBI and threw several runners out at home from the outfield. He has really shown himself this year. 

Now on to Babe Ruth..

2 games done in Babe Ruth and I cannot stand watching this league.. 13-16 yr olds(Cole is 13) .. I was hoping for some action packed games with bigger kids.. the other teams play well, but ours is just not there.. too many cry babies and poor sports on the team. And i cant stand watching an ungrateful and psoiled child play ball.. I will say something one of these nights if it continues.. Coach cant control half the kids and those kids wont even listen to them or their parents even.. I may lose it.  lol. I guess its no wonder some of these kids didnt make modified for certain reasons. I do enjoy watching the kids that didnt make it due to skill, play hard here and actually try harder than these brats do. hats off to them.. I hope it gets better, or ill be watching the garden grow instead. Cole wants to quit due to his teams non sense, but we told him we didnt raise a quitter, play your heart out.. the right people will see it and one day youll be glad you did..  

You sometimes do get that in Rec league baseball unfortunately. Ask around, and get your son on a travel team. there are a few levels of play on travel, and your son may need to try out. But the kids that play travel ball tend to be more in to the game, and more skilled. And usually better coaching too. At this level your son can still improve his skills and do well, even on a bad Rec team. (We've been there too) That will carry him over to the next year, where he may be on a much better team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Now on to Babe Ruth..

100% Agree with Grampys response to this.....It isn't baseball but my daughter moved from a club level travel soccer team to a premier level travel team this year. The difference is night and day. My daughter was ready to quit playing soccer, something she has been doing and working hard at since she was 5 years old because half the kids were doing it for something to do, not paying attention and not working to get better. My daughter would only pass to certain girls because she knew if she passed to others even if they were wide open they wouldn't be able to do anything with the ball. 

Since my daughter has been involved with this new team she has a renewed love for the game. She has two coaches that played at the D1 level in college and a team full of kids that are every bit into soccer as much as she is. The team is doing amazingly well and is currently tied for first place in the Eastern League playing teams from Rochester, Long Island, Vermont, Mass, and CT. It is time consuming and expensive but you don't deal with any of the crap you are complaining about....

• Like 1

Baseball's been a blur lately. The split tonight's games, one tomorrow to hopefully make the championship and 2 Sunday. I finally signed up for game changer so I can see the stats, son's 2nd in batting avg at .525

Lost in the finals this am 6-5 rec league is finally over. Double header tomorrow depending on weather, then the season wraps up after Monday and Tuesdays games. Then onto the travel tourney team for the summer.

• Like 1