Youth baseball thread

Zag

4 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Yeah Zag lots of Daddyball coaches out there we have learned to avoid them.  We looked for and found former college players who still love the game and who have lived the life of playing at highest levels are the most experienced most important w no daughter on the team.   Then they care about all improving instead of just their own kid especially on the local level but in travel ball too. 

Yeah I think this is our last yr of it. Hoping my son makes the modified team then his 13u travel team and never look back. Everyone thinks their kids the best which I understand but some of these parents walk around with big ass blinders on!!

• Like 1

Anywhere near Rock street, Hughestown, PA on Sunday? That’s my day. Mama Crappy doing the Saturday game and probably some “The Office” eating (Alfredo’s pizza cafe and Poor Richards)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't Alfredos Pizza a hot circle of garbage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone else find travel teams refreshing vs playing on a local town team with a parent coaching? Local teams you might get a good coach or bad one who can’t put together a good line up and their kids always the best?
I love our travel team because there’s no favorites it’s all about development and winning games and there is no biased line ups! 

We left our town travel team for an "elite" team with paid coaches for a couple years and it was an awesome experience. However this year she wanted to come back and play with her friends and just have fun so we are back on Clarence travel. The team looks really good, off to a 2-0 start. Better competition today and tomorrow though. It was a great decision for me and my wife as now we are traveling with our really good friends. We also made some great friends on the other team

• Like 2

Yeah I think this is our last yr of it. Hoping my son makes the modified team then his 13u travel team and never look back. Everyone thinks their kids the best which I understand but some of these parents walk around with big ass blinders on!!

You still Need to be be careful with some of those “pay to play” programs - there Can still be plenty of “influence” based on $$$ and connections to the program. I am starting to see some slanted decisions about showcases and opportunities to the private school kids.

I have also seen some rosters numbers jump up while abilities decrease. They will not refuse a tuition by telling a kid they are not good enough.

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

You still Need to be be careful with some of those “pay to play” programs - there Can still be plenty of “influence” based on $$$ and connections to the program. I am starting to see some slanted decisions about showcases and opportunities to the private school kids.

I have also seen some rosters numbers jump up while abilities decrease. They will not refuse a tuition by telling a kid they are not good enough.

Our program is run by two current college coaches and has been top notch so far and I have seen some so called elite teams take some not so elite players as $$ talks!! I’ve also seen other parents moving kids because one program has a connection with a private school and they want to get into that school. Your right on!!

Our program is run by two current college coaches and has been top notch so far and I have seen some so called elite teams take some not so elite players as $$ talks!! I’ve also seen other parents moving kids because one program has a connection with a private school and they want to get into that school. Your right on!!

That’s a big issue in westchester. Baseball, basketball and football players leave public and go to private or prep for exposure to go pro

I get it and I don’t get it. If your good I would think it doesn’t really matter what school you play for, but I also see where many schools just don’t have large quantities of kids to pull from so the talent is small and the teams not competitive at all. Which is what we have in our town. Team has a couple good players but can’t compete with the larger school and lose a lot. Not fun watching a loosing team yr after yr. That one reason I like the travel team as it’s competitive baseball.

So my kid pitched today- I wasn’t there but all reports have it that he threw well. 3 legit hits, 1 walk....6 RUNS....and there you have it....take the $$$ and let anyone play.
This program has three teams at this graduation year- a clear A team (that he could Be a “pitcher only” for) and then two evenly shitty teams. They should
Make one competitive team and one developmental. It’s a shame. He plans for a small public school so for school he will probably bat 3-5, pitch and play the corners. Making him a PO now is pointless

Another reason I dislike our local team. Im watching them on game changer today as a lot of the kids are my sons friends and he could have played on this team but we chose not to. So I turn on gc and I see the starting pitcher and remembered he pitched the day before, anyways he’s getting beat up pretty good and he ended up pitching like 80 pitches over 3 innings  today and close to 40 yesterday , at 12 yrs old that shit ain’t right. I texted my sons coach and asked what kind of pitch count he would have and he said less than 80 and the kid would not have pitched for days prior.

I badly wanted to text all the coaches and tell them my thoughts but I’ll mind my own business. 

• Like 1

8:00am start of game 1 in Scranton(departure time was 5:05..waze “suggested” a 7:15 arrival...6;58!)
Kid went 3-3 all hard line drive singles, played 3rd but no action all game. Loss-8-3(1 terrible defensive inning$
Game 2- 0-2 but productively moves a runner a runner who scored on the next kids hit to right field. Didn’t play in the field which impacted his at bat I feel: he’s gonna have to run or do jumping jacks if he DHs in the future. First win 9-2

• Like 5

We got beat up in pool play and dropped to the silver bracket and won it. Yesterday we went 4-1 and the weather was just perfect, I loved every minute of it. Also, epic GameChanger performance by me, 7+ hours of laser like focus! Lol 5c83ff355ca4a6b8e87d08d3b17713bf.jpgab29785b86ba8b60dc72e5020185d583.jpgSaturday ended with an absolute monsoon

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Zag said:

Another reason I dislike our local team. Im watching them on game changer today as a lot of the kids are my sons friends and he could have played on this team but we chose not to. So I turn on gc and I see the starting pitcher and remembered he pitched the day before, anyways he’s getting beat up pretty good and he ended up pitching like 80 pitches over 3 innings  today and close to 40 yesterday , at 12 yrs old that shit ain’t right. I texted my sons coach and asked what kind of pitch count he would have and he said less than 80 and the kid would not have pitched for days prior.

I badly wanted to text all the coaches and tell them my thoughts but I’ll mind my own business. 

That coach must be a real a$$ to have a 12 year old throw 80 pitches and also pitch the day before. I also blame the parents just as much. My 16 year old will throw 90 -100  in a game and then is shut down for a week, may do some soft toss and rehab work in the week after pitching. I have no issue checking GC and keeping open communication with his coaches. I have absolutely no problem telling a coach to pull him. At this point I can read my son and look for form fatigue. As a parent you need to be  cautious,  some coaches are just there for the W and others will do the right thing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

That coach must be a real a$$ to have a 12 year old throw 80 pitches and also pitch the day before. I also blame the parents just as much. My 16 year old will throw 90 -100  in a game and then is shut down for a week, may do some soft toss and rehab work in the week after pitching. I have no issue checking GC and keeping open communication with his coaches. I have absolutely no problem telling a coach to pull him. At this point I can read my son and look for form fatigue. As a parent you need to be  cautious,  some coaches are just there for the W and others will do the right thing. 

I thought they had actual pitch count rules for the boys

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I thought they had actual pitch count rules for the boys

When it comes to travel and HS ball there's no one that enforces a pitch count but a good coach along with educated  / watchful parents will know based upon age and ability what a pitch count should be and also know how many days rest required in between pitching . There are standards out there that help you guage based upon age what a  max pitch count should be . Pitching two days in a row irregardless of pitch count is not good, if that was my son he would have been pulled and coach spoken to, especially at that age. 

• Like 2

2-6 with a walk in 2 games today. The 2 were a legit triple and legit double to the wall(335 in left-415 in center...school designed it that way to put a full soccer field in the outfield). 4 RBI
BUT...first at bat- no out runner in third...ground out to 3rd base.... unacceptable-gotta play that ball to the right aide.

Pitched well in game 2- 65 pitches...cruiser through the first 50...last 15 were a struggle

• Like 5

My boy pitched a gem today out on Long island. Pitched 5 innings, 11 strikeouts,  gave up only one hit, mercied team after 5 to win 10 to 0. Had a higher then i like pitch count, high 80s after 5 innings, but the ref was not giving an inch. My boy likes to tap the corners and place them just a tad high and low, ref wasn't giving any calls other then dead center ( which i hate), but my boy made it work. Also had a PBR NY scout watch the game and was tweeting about my boy, that was pretty cool.

20200719_215207.jpg

Edited by NYBowhunter
  • Like 4

My boy pitched a gem today out on Long island. Pitched 5 innings, 11 strikeouts,  gave up only one hit, mercied team after 5 to win 10 to 0. Had a higher then i like pitch count, high 80s after 5 innings, but the ref was not giving an inch. My boy likes to tap the corners and place them just a tad high and low, ref wasn't giving any calls other then dead center ( which i hate), but my boy made it work. Also had a PBR NY scout watch the game and was tweeting about my boy, that was pretty cool.
20200719_215207.thumb.jpg.fb1ed80ad2be8e5447ed33351523af0c.jpg

I’m sorry to say you are banned from watching games going forward:

Umpire (not ref)
Paint the corners (not tap)

• Like 2