Youth baseball thread

Zag

7 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m sorry to say you are banned from watching games going forward:

Umpire (not ref)
Paint the corners (not tap)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I stand corrected,  but I have always been a person to create my own terminology,  you still knew what I meant..lol

My boys were back at it for the first time since last summer. The local league decided to offer a clinic/camp every Mon. And Wednesday night thru August.
The boys had a blast and my 4 year old refused to go with the other 4 year olds and hung tuff with his 6 year old brother. 814af4bd766cf34953bd200371f5b464.jpga9acd3719bcbc170d247617b0ef9db22.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My boy had a day
Game 1 - Pitched a complete (7 inning) game - 72 pitches . 5 strikeout 2 run (1 earned). Also went 3-4 with 2 single and a double.

Game 2. Played first- 2-2 (singles) with a walk.

Pretty sure I am not invited to attend any more of his games if he keeps playing that well when I miss them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

We’re the 4 seed and play the 1 seed in the am, sons been playing well but hasn’t been crushing balls like last yr. Hit the local fields to practice ( fence is 220 to center)  and he must have hit one (off soft toss) probably 300ft. It made it to 2nd base on the next field over, he’s got the power so hopefully he can find his game groove in the am. Tomorrow’s retro pinstripes uni’s, looks like there from 1929!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We went 2-0-1 allowing only 1 run in pool play and got the 5 seed lol. Game 1 is at 2:15 today against the team we tied 1-1 Friday night

Should be entertaining baseball!! Gl

We went 2-0-1 allowing only 1 run in pool play and got the 5 seed lol. Game 1 is at 2:15 today against the team we tied 1-1 Friday night

Those numbers and a FIVE seed....tough tourney. Go get em!

We have a final “pool play” at 11:30 against the other 2-0 team so winner moves on to this “chip game” at 4:30. See what pitching is left.

• Like 1

4307c905f5252f169525b947904d0c2f.jpg&key=20d9dd3b07003580453f9c31921fa666ce574d1384ddb86dbd156475b2665adb

3-3 with a walk in semi finals as a DH (2 singles and a double)

1-2 with 2 walks in the Chip Game. Played a solid third base.

Opposing pitchers weren’t that strong but ya gotta hit what they throw.

Dirty pants is always a sign of greatness

• Like 2

So question for you baseball guys. What is a high level batting avg for a 12yr old? Over 500?

All depend on the competition...if he is playing at the most elite level, .400+ is spectacular. If playing “town league” baseball and a/he is a stud north of .500 is almost required.

I just had that conversation with my kid last week -15u “elite” program but he is not on the A team for his level so his completion is not A level. He was proud of his .425 average until we had that same chat...after this weekend he went jumped to .575.
So my next conversation will be with the head of the program, “how is my kid getting better and ready to compete at high levels if not playing against appropriate competition for him. If he is hitting .500+ he is in the wrong place.”

• Like 2

Ok got ya. So it’s early in the season for us only 6 games deep with his travel team so it’s hard to judge at this point I guess. How many games played before you can really look at the batting avg?

Ok got ya. So it’s early in the season for us only 6 games deep with his travel team so it’s hard to judge at this point I guess. How many games played before you can really look at the batting avg?

6 games is probably 15-20 at bats. Never too early to pay attention. We like to talk through the at bats pitch by pitch after each game. “I think one of your best swings was when you followed off that 1-2 curveball which led to a walk.” Or that 3-1 fastball with bases loaded was a pitch you should have driven to right.” “Why swing at first pitch when he through 4 straight balls”

Talking about situations and situational hitting is more important than the actual number(especially if you don’t know the level of competition).

• Like 2

We watched the last 30min of my sons practice. His 1 coach (former mlb pitcher) it throwing live bp while some are shaggin balls or playing there infield positions. My son get the call up to bat, all the kids start talking and running further into the outfield. I’ve never seen him hit the ball so far, well and consistently at just over 12 yrs old. My wife and I were in awe as were the parents watching near us. I wish I recorded it. 

• Like 2

All depend on the competition...if he is playing at the most elite level, .400+ is spectacular. If playing “town league” baseball and a/he is a stud north of .500 is almost required.

I just had that conversation with my kid last week -15u “elite” program but he is not on the A team for his level so his completion is not A level. He was proud of his .425 average until we had that same chat...after this weekend he went jumped to .575.
So my next conversation will be with the head of the program, “how is my kid getting better and ready to compete at high levels if not playing against appropriate competition for him. If he is hitting .500+ he is in the wrong place.”

Fun Fact- In 1993 in a town league, I had a monster year. We went 15-0. I hit .917 (66 for 72) with 18 homers and 86RBI’s. There was no mercy rules. We scored 20-35 runs per game.

• Like 3

Those numbers and a FIVE seed....tough tourney. Go get em!

We have a final “pool play” at 11:30 against the other 2-0 team so winner moves on to this “chip game” at 4:30. See what pitching is left.

We flamed
Out in game 1 Sunday, 7-5 to the team we tied Friday night. This weekend is our host tournament

• Like 1

Team won easily tonight, son went 2-3 with a walk and 4 RBI’s. 
Really proud of my son, he always wants to be the first one there and tonight after the game he took me back to the cages at the fields to hit more before leaving. Needless to say we were the last to leave!

• Like 2

Team won easily tonight, son went 2-3 with a walk and 4 RBI’s. 
Really proud of my son, he always wants to be the first one there and tonight after the game he took me back to the cages at the fields to hit more before leaving. Needless to say we were the last to leave!

That’s a good sign! I remember a few days after a particularly not great fielding game stopping at the field on the way home to hit a bucket of grounders since they weren’t happy. If he is self motivated (which it sounds like he is) he will do well. Just make certain he is “playing up” as much as possible- being a big fish in a small pond ain’t helpful in baseball.

• Like 1