Youth baseball thread

Zag

Well we lost in the championship game against a 12u big school team (we’re 11u) by 1 run this evening! My son hit a nuke in the 4th inning 280ft over center field. I was able to gauge the distance as it landed in front of the 1st base dugout on the other fields bringing us to a 4-7 deficit. It was a freaking shot!!

now we’re bottom of the final inning same score down 3, we have 2 runners on bases and my sons up (batting 4th) in my mind I’m thinking let’s go kid this is what we practice hit a hr and tie the game, he swings and drills one deep and it hit the upper part of the center field fence and stays in, we ended up losing 7-6. Good game tho

EEB34868-48D5-4735-8167-BBB60788102D.jpeg

Edited by Zag
  • Like 3

Well as the season is slowing down before we transition here’s some of his stats thru 16 games

Batting avg .611, obp.714, ops 1.770, slg 1.056. He led the team in just about every category as he should being the oldest.

• Like 1

Well travel ball has a break before one last tournament Labor Day weekend. Tryouts were done for next yr, my son just turned 12 the end of May and was playing on an 11u team, he’s moving up with the coach to 13u starting starting soon and into next yr. Im happy to have him now be the youngest on the team and looking up to other players. One bonus is next yr the program will have a 12u Cooperstown only team so my son will be able to play down and experience c town!! 

• Like 2

Well travel ball has a break before one last tournament Labor Day weekend. Tryouts were done for next yr, my son just turned 12 the end of May and was playing on an 11u team, he’s moving up with the coach to 13u starting starting soon and into next yr. Im happy to have him now be the youngest on the team and looking up to other players. One bonus is next yr the program will have a 12u Cooperstown only team so my son will be able to play down and experience c town!! 

Fun fact - I played at Dreams Park in 1996 the inaugural season. It was insane. Dorming with kids from other states at 12 years old made for crazy nights of pranks, fights, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Fun fact - I played at Dreams Park in 1996 the inaugural season. It was insane. Dorming with kids from other states at 12 years old made for crazy nights of pranks, fights, etc.

So as far as I know were renting a large lake house with a pool with a couple other parents. I’m hoping with covid they don’t have they stay there and he can hand at the lake house and swim!

Man 1996, must have been fun! I’ve been to c town but not to Dreams park. I’m hoping with his size and ability he’s cracking HR’s with ease there!

• Like 2

So as far as I know were renting a large lake house with a pool with a couple other parents. I’m hoping with covid they don’t have they stay there and he can hand at the lake house and swim!
Man 1996, must have been fun! I’ve been to c town but not to Dreams park. I’m hoping with his size and ability he’s cracking HR’s with ease there!

It was still kinda new so not finished product. The next year was better i heard. If I remember right the fences were 225ft. Tons of homers. But everyone had to use bats issued by the tournament. They kept breaking like wood bats would. Dangerous with aluminum. I think subsequent years they allowed you to bring your own bats

3/4 the experience is being away from your parents and shacking up with your team. I know it’s hard with the Rona but that is truly the experience. Player and coach only sections, trading team pin, epic wiffle ball tour ya with kids from around the world....none of that happens at the lake house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

4-5 today with 3 hit by pitch in 3 games today as they won a USABL NJ tourney!
0-2 in pool play with 1 run scored...3-0 when it mattered.
This is the second time that my kids’ NY team is a NJ State Champ.
Suck it Snooki!

Congrats but Snooki is from Dutchess like Dom!

29 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

My boy pitched first game of a double header today. Pitched a full 7 inning game , only gave up one hit, 14 strikeouts,  we won 3-0. His slider was vicious.

20200823_212003.jpg

Sounds like he was on!!

My boy pitched first game of a double header today. Pitched a full 7 inning game , only gave up one hit, 14 strikeouts,  we won 3-0. His slider was vicious.
20200823_212003.thumb.jpg.febcd9c8c44cd9494eeb42176eec9b51.jpg

And he did it on a softball mound with a 4X4 as the rubber!!!!!
Great numbers! Left sliders are brutal

20200823_212003.thumb.jpg.febcd9c8c44cd9494eeb42176eec9b51.jpg

Why is that rubber so huge?

Why is that rubber so huge?

Late in the season the mounds disappear if they are not maintained. You can see he is pitching off a flat “mound.” If that rubber is buried correctly there would be a mound!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

And he did it on a softball mound with a 4X4 as the rubber!!!!!
Great numbers! Left sliders are brutal

Yep that mound was  brutal and seems to be the norm at most fields we toured from queens to Long Island . That mound had just a slight decline and even with that he was pounding the zone. They couldn't catch up to his fastball, most batters were swinging when the ball was already in the catchers mitt. Then he would paint the corners with that slider , it had wicked movement through out the zone and he would throw a breaking ball in the mix. I cant even imagine the velocity he would have gotten had he a nice downward flowing mound. This is in a wood bat league and we are playing up in a 16u division. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Late in the season the mounds disappear if they are not maintained. You can see he is pitching off a flat “mound.” If that rubber is buried correctly there would be a mound!

I believe that's the norm for a rubber, but you really aren't suppose to see that much of it, most of that should have been hidden by a mound. When you rely mostly on city fields  thats the kind of crap to expect. Thats why i prefer tournament play so much more because they typically are privately owned grounds.

Been super busy and got behind. So last weekend was the championship game for our town league, son had a hr and pitched 3 good innings giving up 4 runs 2 earned but the rest of the team were duds and we lost 8-3. 11u travel teams last tournament is this weekend and then my sons moving up to 13u which first practice is tomorrow! Super excited as his team is stacked with talent and my son is playing in his grade but is young. Plus they are keeping a roster spot on the 12u so he can play both of the schedule aligns periodically!

• Like 1

My little guy had 9U tryouts the other day and for not playing in over a year the kid did great! Even though I umpire all age groups I have to say I’m not a fan of the young kids travel teams but I hope he makes it. I’m not a fan because imo kids are pushed and practicing to much so baseball becomes to be too much for some kids.

• Like 1

My little guy had 9U tryouts the other day and for not playing in over a year the kid did great! Even though I umpire all age groups I have to say I’m not a fan of the young kids travel teams but I hope he makes it. I’m not a fan because imo kids are pushed and practicing to much so baseball becomes to be too much for some kids.

Travel baseball is great but you need to keep some control and be aware of your kids safety. Make sure the program is taking time off, cares about arm care, and ideally practices more than it plays(only way to improve and learn the game).
Personally I think “Fall Ball” is a joke - kids are worn out after summer and any “gains” are not helpful to their real spring season. Having said that, my kid (15) is signed up just because he may not have a worth while football season so he needed something.

Ask a ton of questions, have a clear idea what the programs plan is for your kid and their philosophy (win every game? Develop every player?)

• Like 1

Well kid had 2 tourney games today, lost both 5-4 and 6-5, hit and pitched well. 2nd game it was bases loaded 2 outs bottom 6th down 1 run and my son was at bat, grounded to short and almost beat the throw. Didn’t work out today but I’m glad he was the one at bat as it’s good experience in those situations!
Both fields had fences that were 300+, he hit on that got pretty close!! On our way home he wanted to hit the cages for more work.

Well kid had 2 tourney games today, lost both 5-4 and 6-5, hit and pitched well. 2nd game it was bases loaded 2 outs bottom 6th down 1 run and my son was at bat, grounded to short and almost beat the throw. Didn’t work out today but I’m glad he was the one at bat as it’s good experience in those situations!
Both fields had fences that were 300+, he hit on that got pretty close!! On our way home he wanted to hit the cages for more work.

Oh the fun you will have when the 225 LL Home Run become a pop out to the left field who seems to be standing in the SS pocket. The games changes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Oh the fun you will have when the 225 LL Home Run become a pop out to the left field who seems to be standing in the SS pocket. The games changes.

Yeah it’s gonna be different for sure. He’s got size, power and determination to get better every day so hopefully it’s enough to land hits in the outfield.